Top 6 eco-lodge retreats near Perth to help you travel more sustainably
Leave nothing but footprints when you holiday in South West WA.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Perth and its surroundings have taken on the challenge of providing eco-friendly accommodation for worldly travellers and city escapees alike looking to explore everything this nature-rich state has to offer.
Already home to numerous off-grid glamping spots, you'll also find a handful of eco-friendly lodges, spa resorts and hotels, including the newest addition on Rottnest Island. All promote solar energy, collect rainwater for drinking and are mainly built from recycled materials.
Here are a few properties that can help you to do your bit for the environment.
Why we chose these accommodation options
- Behind each of these properties is a collection of eco warriors determined to live side by side with nature. From the materials used to build the properties to the fresh produce they use to cook breakfast, eco-friendly thinking has been implemented from its inception.
- All of these lodgings use solar panels to reduce energy usage or eradicate it completely, whether it be to power lights or a whole water filtration system.
- Outside of their property dealings, many eco-aware owners participate in programs which help to conserve wildlife or re-build fragile environments in the nearby area.
Lying between the city of Perth and the Mundaring State Forest, the Perth Hills teems with eco-friendly accommodation that is close enough for a quick one-night getaway.
This unassuming cottage in the hills not only has numerous eco-friendly features but also offers a luxury in-house spa along with acres of orchards and walking trails.
- Energy-saving measures such as solar panels, wood-burning stoves and line drying of clothes are implemented every day.
- All-natural washing powders and cleaning products made from orange and eucalyptus.
- Fruit, vegetables, meat, tea and coffee are sourced from local producers only.
2. Eco Luxury Nature Getaway
Enjoy the flexibility of self-catered accommodation with an eco-friendly edge and explore the wonders of John Forrest National Park while you're at it.
- Only natural products are used to clean the property and organic toiletries are provided for the duration of your stay.
- Both hot water and electricity are powered by the sun and contribute towards becoming an off-grid property.
- Breakfasts can be provided on request and are made using local, organic products as recommended by a qualified naturopath.
Just a one-hour boat ride from Perth's city centre, staying at the eco retreat here means you can get friendly with the resident quokkas.
A glamping experience like no other, this luxury resort features more than 80 spacious eco tents, ideally situated for exploring the island.
- Tents are made from sustainable materials including canvas and upcycled wood, both of which allow for natural airflow and diminish the need for air conditioning.
- The people behind this project head up a number of revegetation programs to ensure the flora and fauna continue to thrive in the area.
- Specially designed architecture to strengthen, rather than weaken, the sand dunes that the resort sits on.
As Australia's premier wine region and around a three-hour drive from Perth, this small corner of South West WA is perfect for a guilt-free, but equally indulgent getaway.
Surrounded by vineyards and plenty of friendly wallabies, you'll stay in hand-built mudbrick chalets, each equipped with a private hot tub.
- Proud owners of the highest ECO certification due to continued conservation efforts.
- Maintains 100 acres of predator-free grounds to help preserve and protect critically endangered wildlife such as the woylie.
- Chalets are strategically positioned to maximise the efficiency of solar panels for heating the homes. The mudbrick walls provide excellent insulation.
- All of the furniture has been built from recycled rubber or wood materials.
Experience the remote beauty of Margaret River without compromising your creature comforts in these environmentally-friendly luxury tents.
- Solar-powered technology is used to recharge phones and power lamps.
- Australian tent designers were commissioned as part of the retreat's local produce and producers only policy.
- Glamper baskets are filled with only locally sourced produce.
- Organic toiletries are provided for guests to prevent water contamination.
6. 5 Rooms Retreat
By staying in one of 5 Rooms Retreat's en-suite bedrooms, you'll be supporting two worthwhile causes: an eco-friendly approach to lodging and a company that gives 100% of its profits to Breast Cancer Research.
- 32 solar panels dotted around the property power lights and the onsite water filtration system.
- Wood fires in each room provide warmth, reducing the use of non-sustainable energy resources.
- All of the plants that decorate the property have been specifically chosen in line with local land rehabilitation efforts.
- A 250,000-litre tank collects rainwater that can be used for washing, cleaning and even drinking.
Perth accommodation map
What to know before you go to Perth
- Rottnest Island is one of the only places in the world where quokkas thrive due to predator-free and litter-free grounds. When you visit, make sure you aren't taking anything with you that could threaten the existence of these friendly animals. The same goes when exploring WA's bushland.
- Lots of eco-conscious accommodation in the area provides free drinking water which usually begins its life as rainwater. Bring a reusable bottle with you to fill up before your hike.
- Give your car a break for the weekend and exercise those legs with a bike ride. Some accommodation even offers bicycle hire free of charge.
Things to avoid when booking eco accommodation near Perth
- Besides quokkas, the South West supports more than 1,500 species of native flora and fauna, some of which can't be found anywhere else in the world. Avoid accommodation that encourages interfering with these precious habitats.
- Say no to excessive air-con usage. Eco-friendly accommodation will build its energy-savings measures into its properties and use natural materials that allow for an effective and all-natural heating and cooling system. So, you can stay cool at no cost to yourself or the environment, even in the height of WA's summer.
- Perth and its surrounding communities have been facing water shortages for over a decade now and are seeing less and less rainfall each year. Try to avoid hotels and accommodation that offer daily towel and bed linen changes to reduce your water usage significantly.
Book your eco-friendly accommodation right here:
More guides on Finder
Rapid antigen tests: When will RAT stock be available? [UPDATED]
Rapid antigen tests are proving extremely hard to find, but there are options if you can be patient trying to find a RAT.
Bitcoin price showcases signs of a local bottom but emerging inflation data suggests more dips
The US Consumer Price Index (CPI) has continued to touch relative highs in recent months, giving rise to fears that more inflation may be on the cards in the near term.
Ethereum price reflects market sentiment in general with no immediate respite in sight
Ethereum’s price woes were recently compounded by news of prominent trading platform LCX revealing that one of its ETH hot wallets had been compromised.
January’s best balance transfer credit card offers
Want to pay off your credit card in 2022? These 0% balance transfer offers give you a way to save on interest for up to 36 months.
How to watch Euphoria season 2 online in Australia
The popular teen drama promises an epic season 2.
Back to school costs 2022
Parents will fork out $20.3 billion on back to school costs this year - $3,621 each for primary students and $6,957 for secondary students.
New on Netflix, Prime Video, Disney Plus, Stan, Foxtel, BINGE and more in January 2022
You can easily elevate your binge-watching game in the New Year.
Influencers to follow to educate yo’self in 2022
From bodi posi influencers to political activists, make your daily scrolls more meaningful with these inspiring icons on your feed.
Samsung Galaxy S21 FE first look review: Is it worth $999?
The new Samsung Galaxy S21 FE 5G has some impressive specs and features, but is it enough to warrant a $999 price tag in Australia?
Ask an Expert