Why not start the new year with some conscious changes to help the environment by going green? We’ve pooled together some easy tips to help you achieve this, and you’ll be surprised at how easy they are!
An eco-friendly lifestyle isn’t so hard to achieve these days and it doesn’t have to cost you an arm and a leg. By making a few simple changes at a time, you can have a big impact on your carbon footprint. Easy things like walking to work instead of jumping on the bus or doing meat-free Mondays can make a difference. And you may even lose some of that unwanted Christmas weight by walking instead of driving – win-win!
Whether you want to go green in your home, at your workplace or out and about, we’ve got you covered. Simply follow these easy green suggestions and you never know, you may even encourage your friends to jump onboard too!
Going green at home
- Recycle. Set up easily accessible bins for glass, cardboard, food, etc.
- Turn off lights when you’re not in the room and unplug unused items.
- Use beeswax wrap on food in the fridge.
- Try to cut back on your meat consumption, even if you just do “meat-free Mondays”.
- Reuse leftover food items or freeze them for another day.
- Change your lightbulbs to light-saving bulbs (CFLs).
- Reuse jam jars instead of throwing them away.
- Cancel your newspaper subscription and read the news digitally.
- Use cloth napkins instead of paper napkins.
- Buy eco-friendly beauty products.
- Put a cover on your pool when you’re not using it. This will stop the water from evaporating.
- Look into solar-powered energy.
- Opt for paperless bank statements and bills.
- Keep your freezer full – it runs much more efficiently this way.
- Women: try using a reusable menstrual cup instead of tampons and pads.
- Turn off the water when you’re brushing your teeth.
- Take quicker showers.
- Only run the dishwasher when it’s full.
- Switch to green cleaning products. These reduce air pollution.
- Wash your laundry in cooler water and hang it up to dry rather than using a dryer.
- Fix any leaky pipes or taps – every drop counts.
- If you have the space, grow your own fruits and vegetables. It can be fun for kids too!
Going green at work
- Turn your computer off when you leave for the day.
- Recycle paper, milk bottles, cans, etc. Use multiple bins with clear labelling.
- Use rechargeable batteries for your mouse.
- Print on both sides of paper.
- Turn off all the lights when no-one is in the office.
- Switch your web server to green web hosting. It’s a thing! The cost is negligible but the impact on your carbon footprint is vast.
- Read slides and meeting notes on your screen rather than printing them out.
- If you do need to print, recycle the paper.
- Get plants for the office. Not only do they add some greenery but they help to purify the air too!
- Add a print-friendly message to the bottom of your email signature.
- Replace paper towels in the bathroom with a hand dryer.
Going green while out
- Get e-tickets for your trip to the cinema or your boarding pass.
- Carry a reusable water bottle instead of buying new everyday.
- Make sure the tyres on your car are pumped up. You’re wasting 3% mileage if you don’t.
Calculate your carbon footprint
So now you have no excuse. Try some of these tips for a greener life. If you would like to find out what impact your current lifestyle is having on the environment, you can calculate your carbon footprint using this useful site.