22 easy Halloween costumes that you probably already own
Don’t want to spend a fortune on Halloween costumes this year? Here are 15 cheap and easy Halloween costume ideas to inspire you.
Now’s the time to start thinking about your Halloween costume for the year. Whether you’re looking to save money or you’ve left your costume to the last minute, we’ve put together some super-easy and cheap DIY costume ideas for you.
These costumes require little spending, and you can probably use what you already have at home and in your wardrobe! #winning.
Note: The prices and availability of the products mentioned on this page are current as of 12 October 2016.
1. Dancing Girls Emoji Costume
Look super-cute with your bestie and dress up as the dancing girls emoji for your Halloween party this year. All you need is a black bodysuit, black shoes/heels and a cat headband. Simple yet effective!
- Drop Armhole Bodysuit - $31.50
- Allegra Shoes - $34.97
- Feeling Feline Headband - $19.95
2. Max from Where the Wild Things Are
If you love walking around in your onesie as much as we do, this is the perfect outfit for you. Put on your white onesie, cut out a crown from cardboard and you’re set!
- Onesie - $40
- Cardboard Crown - $8.16
- Nails - $21.65
3. Ned Flanders from The Simpsons
Transform into Ned Flanders from The Simpsons by painting your face with yellow body paint, donning a green jumper and a pink button-up shirt and throwing on some glasses. Oh, don’t forget his iconic moustache. Voila, you’re Ned Flanders!
- Jack Jones Lucas V-Neck Knit - $34.95
- Burton Menswear Tailored Shirt - $34.95
- The Man, Dark Brown Moustache - $8.95
4. The Joker
The Joker is a popular Halloween costume for men, women, boys and girls. You can put this look together with some face paint, a purple blazer and green tie.
- White Fantasy FX Makeup - $6.99
- Women's Purple Blazer - $27.16
- ASOS bowtie - $8.23
5. Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast In Tiffany’s
If you’re after a more classic outfit this Halloween, you can’t go past Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast in Tiffany’s. All you’ll need to complete the look is a black shift dress, some long black gloves, black sunglasses, a pearl necklace and a tiara.
- Lauri Rib Sleeveless Dress - $25.97
- Monki Long Glove - $13.00
- ASOS Winter Tales Hair Tiara - $17.50
Who doesn’t love Minions? This super-cute outfit is easy to put together. The checklist? A yellow shirt, yellow tights, denim overalls, black gloves, black boots and round circle glasses.
- Pieces Smart Gloves - $6.50
- Boohoo Petite Zip Up Denim Dungaree Playsuit - $38.00
- Black Vintage Glasses - $30.43
7. The Incredibles
Look as incredible as an “Incredible” without spending a fortune. All you need are red tights, a red shirt, black gloves, black shorts, boots and a thin black cloth you can cut holes in to make a mask for your eyes.
Stick a logo on the front of the shirt and you are ready to save the world.
- ASOS Curve Denier 80 Burgundy Tights - $13.00
- Ebonie n Ivory Valerie Shorts - $34.00
- Lysette OTK Boots - $53.97
8. Wednesday Addams
Why not dress up as Halloween favourite - pale faced, grim-looking Wednesday Addams? Plait your hair, wear a black dress with a white-collared shirt underneath. Finish the look off with black lipstick and her famous empty expression.
- Doll | Dress - $64
- Black Socks - $6.50
- Weirdo | Velour Liquid Lipstick - $29
Who doesn’t want to be Superman? What better way to bring out your inner Clark Kent than at Halloween? All you will need is a Superman T-shirt and some red fabric to attach to your shirt or tie around your neck. Now grab some glasses to complete the nerdy look.
- Superman Logo Tee - $25
- Red Superhero Cape - $12.95
- Nerd Glasses - $9.95
10. Lilo and Stitch
Disney costumes are always fun, so why not dress up as Lilo this year? You can put this look together by cutting out leaf shapes from fabric iron-transfer paper and ironing them onto a red dress. Grab your Stitch plush to carry around and you’re done. Mahalo, cutie!
- ASOS High Neck Empire Dress - $19.50
- Iron On T-Shirt Transfer Paper - $14.99
- Stitch Plush - $19.99
11. Where’s Wally
You probably have all the pieces for this costume in your wardrobe already. Throw a striped shirt over some blue jeans, add a red beanie and glasses and voila!
- Black XL Metal Glasses Round - $28.78
- New Balance Compo Beanie - $21.00
- Selected Stripe T-Shirt - $22.00
12. PSY - Gangnam Style
Oppa Gangnam Style! Throw on a pair of signature black shades, a bow tie and a blue blazer and you’ve got yourself a PSY costume. Since you’ve likely got a few of these pieces in your closet already, this costume is the coolest way to look like you tried without actually trying.
- ASOS Satin Bow Tie - $11.00
- ASOS Slim Blazer in Blue Washed Cotton - $44.00
- Timeless by Cheap Monday - $40.00
13. Snow White
Who doesn’t want to be a Disney Princess? Take a floaty blue tee, a yellow skirt and add a red headband. There’s your Snow White costume done. Dressing like a princess was never this easy.
- Split Back Tee - $49.95
- ASOS Pleated Midi Skirt - $30.87
- Red Headband - $19.46
14. Pugsley Addams
This is a great companion costume to the Wednesday Addams dress-up. It only takes three items you likely already own - a striped tee, black shorts and black socks. Add some white face-paint if you want to look extra spooky.
- Line 8 Graphic Tee - $27.95
- Bellfield Chino Shorts - $30.00
- ASOS Waffle Socks - $6.50
15. A Ghost
This takes the award for being the easiest costume to throw on. If you don’t like fussy costumes or you’re just too lazy to put anything together, grab a white cloth or old bed sheets and cut holes for your eyes. Dead simple.
- 10pcs Disposable Bed Sheet - $17.28
- Profession Kitchen and Herb Scissors - $27.96
- So Fine Felt Tip Pen - $1.99
16. Betty Boop
Betty Boop is a classic and very iconic Halloween costume idea. The best thing about this costume idea is that you probably already own everything you need, and if you don't there are some very affordable options. The most important element of this costume is the short pin-curled hairstyle so you'll need a bunch of bobby pins and a curler. If that's too much effort, you can buy a wig for under $10 on eBay.
- Slinky Bandeau Dress - $24.00
- Pieces Diana Hoop Earrings - $17.50
- Curling Iron - $40.96
Total: $82.46 ($41.50 if you already own a curling iron or straightener)
Image source: Instagram user emrata
17. Mia Wallace
Most of you probably own a white shirt and black pants already, which makes this costume easy as! Just add a black wig and some fake blood.
Let's be real, we all want to be a mermaid, so why not go as one for Halloween? Wear a blue or green maxi skirt with a white or purple crop and throw on some pearls for good measure. Spritz sea-salt spray through your hair to make it wavy and mermaid-esque. Done.
- Women casual long maxi skirt - $7.29
- Amy ribbed basic bandeau - $12.00
- Missguided pearl choker - $20.00
19. Ralph Wiggum as Idaho
Do you hate spending money on costumes? Are you a fan of the Simpsons? If yes, this is the costume for you. Safety pin a piece of paper that says Idaho to a blue shirt and your costume is done. It takes about 30 seconds to put together and you'll definitely get a few laughs.
- New Look long sleeve shirt in blue - $28.00
- Safety pins - $4.98
- Typo pen - $2.99
20. Bubbles from The Powerpuff Girls
This is a fun 90s cosplay idea that is actually a lot easier than it seems. It's affordable too. Just put a black belt over a blue dress and add white stockings. Then do your hair in pigtails.
- Sara seam detail skater dress - $20.00
- ASOS leather obi waist belt - $44.00
- Jonathan Aston 40 denier simply colour tight - $12.00
21. Men in Black
This is a super easy one for the boys because most of you will have a black suit jacket and pants already. Just throw on a pair of sunglasses and you're all dressed up. If you don't have the pieces to put the costume together, there are some bargain below that will help.
- ASOS Slim Fit Suit Black Pindot - $44.00
- ASOS Tie In Black - $13.00
- ASOS Flat Square Sunglasses In Black - $17.50
22. Regina George
This costume is easy as. All you need is a purple or pink bra, a white singlet and a black skirt - and you probably already own all of these. If you don't, there are some affordable options below. Simple cut holes in the top and you're good to go.
- ASOS The Ultimate Vest - $11.00
- Ultimo Daria R/Gel Balconette Bra A-D - $28.00
- Morgana Black Skater Skirt - $12.00
Want to buy cheap materials for DIY costumes online? Use one of our coupons:
Free standard delivery
Get free standard delivery when you spend over $100
Free Overnight Shipping over AUD $50
Get free shipping when you spend over $50 at The Iconic.
Free click and collect
Browse and pay online and simply collect in-store. Shop now!