The shops, cafes and restaurants open Easter long weekend in Melbourne.
Every year without fail Easter brings with it a glorious four-day weekend where you can delight in chocolate by the bucketful or bevvies by the handful.
This long weekend (19-22 April 2019) is also the perfect excuse to plan a getaway, visit family and friends or just take a break and chill out. Whether you've made Melbourne your go-to destination this year or you're a Melbournian who's decided to stick around town for the four days, there are plenty of shops and dining venues still open to keep you busy all weekend long.
What shops are open Easter weekend in Melbourne?
All major shopping centres as well as supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths are closed on Good Friday and will reopen for normal trading hours over the weekend. Below are the trading hours for the Saturday, Sunday and Easter Monday.
What cafes and restaurants are open Easter long weekend in Melbourne?
Here are our top 14 hit picks on where to eat out over Easter.
- TGI Fridays, Docklands: Be ironic. Celebrate Good Friday at TGI Fridays. All of its outfits are open Easter weekend long.
- Little Collins Street Kitchen, Melbourne: Spare the time to dine at Melbourne's best kept secret. To celebrate Easter, the restaurant is offering a seafood brunch on Easter Sunday and chocolate high tea all weekend long.
- A25, South Yarra: When pizza is on the cards, you can't look past A25 to stock the good stuff.
- St ALi., South Melbourne: Sip on these local brews in the late afternoon while catching up with mates. All purchases over $75 over the long weekend also come with free chocolate. Bonus.
- Spice Temple, Southbank: Spice up your Easter break with some Chinese dumplings, roast duck and steamed mud crab. Yum.
- The Meat & Wine Co.: Tried, true and a people pleaser. Oh yeah, and it's open Saturday to Monday.
- Riverside Teppanyaki, Docklands: The master of teppanyaki only closes for lunch on public holidays, so if dinner is on the cards you'll be set.
- Punch Lane, Melbourne: Spend your evenings wining and dining at Punch Lane. It's open daily for dinner from 5pm onwards.
- Sake, Melbourne: Easter is clearly all about spoiling yourself and none can do that better than Sake. This Japanese restaurant is open daily for dinner and features a la carte and set menus.
- Coppersmith, South Melbourne: Attached to the Coppersmith Hotel, Coppersmith is available for breakfast, lunch and dinner all weekend.
- Asado, Southbank: Eat your fill this Easter long weekend at Argentinean outfit Asado. It's open from 12pm-late.
- Matilda 159 Domain, South Yarra: Local produce is the hero at this modern Australian restaurant. Open for lunch and dinner all weekend long.
- Pontoon, St Kilda Beach: If the sun is out get thee to Pontoon to bask in its warmth. With a drink in hand, naturally. Open from noon, daily.
- Stokehouse, St Kilda Beach: But if you want to make it a more lavish affair, Stokehouse is also keeping its doors open for lunch, dinner and everything in between.
Other cafes, restaurants, bars and venues that are known for opening over the Easter long weekend. These are 2018's trading hours. For this year's opening times contact each venue direct.
Top things to do in Melbourne over the Easter long weekend
Melbourne Easter Show: This annual show is one of the biggest events on the family calendar. It features an Easter egg hunt, showbags, sideshow carnie games, live entertainment, magic shows and roving characters. 19-22 April, 10am-9pm, Cranbourne. (pictured)
Cadbury Easter Egg Hunt and Family Picnic: This is the largest Easter egg hunt in Australia and helps raise funds for the Royal Children’s Hospital. 19 April 2019, 9:30am, Werribee Mansion in the Park.
Easter Steamfest: Keep the kids entertained with a trip to the Kerrisdale Mountain Railway and Museum for the annual Easter Steamfest. Here you can take the 35-minute journey to Summit Station, which comes complete with vistas over the Goulburn Valley. 20-22 April 2019, 7523 Goulburn Valley Highway, Kerrisdale.
Melbourne Star Observation Wheel entry from Adrenaline
- 30-minute flight on the Melbourne Star Observation Wheel
- Commentary throughout the ride/li>
- Child price: $22
- Adult price: $36
Shark dive Melbourne Aquarium from Adrenaline
- 30-minute shark dive in the aquarium
- Includes theory session and pool session before the dive
- Price: $299
Escape room experience from Adrenaline
- 90-minute session with 1 hour Escape Room experience
- Includes complimentary refreshments
- Price: $40
Spirit of Melbourne dinner cruise from Viator
- Three-hour four-course dinner cruise
- Includes Beer, wine, soft drinks and basic spirits
- Price: $140
Eureka Skydeck 88 ticket from Viator
- Admission to the Eureka Skydeck 88 in Melbourne
- Use of viewfinders and binoculars
- Price: $22
Melbourne Zoo general entry ticket from Viator
Get up close to more than 320 species around the world with this general entry ticket to Melbourne Zoo.
- Price: $37
ArtVo Immersive Gallery experience from Viator
Explore more than 100 paintings across 11 themed zones in an interactive art space.
- Price: $28
Top deals on Easter activities in Melbourne:
$10 off your first Groupon purchase
Spend $49 or more at Groupon and get $10 off your order. Not valid on Village Roadshow Theme Park deals or gift cards. Valid on first purchases only.
$10 off site-wide
Valid for use on any activities like skydiving, quad biking, bridge climbing, canyoning, hot air ballooning, helicopter scenic flight, abseiling, scuba diving, ghost tours and more. Minimum spend of $80. T&Cs apply.
Up to 50% off experiences + extra 10% off with code
Valid on all dates, including over Christmas on activities like skydiving, quad biking, bridge climbing, canyoning, hot air ballooning, helicopter scenic flights, abseiling, scuba diving, cruises, ghost tours and more. T&Cs apply.
Extra 20% off with code
Valid on purchases with Adrenaline. Experiences include skydiving, scenic flights, hot air ballooning, V8 experiences, rally driving, scuba diving and more. Minimum spend of $119. T&Cs apply.
$30 off activities and experiences
Valid on select dates and activities like hot air ballooning, skydiving, horse riding, ghost tours, surf lessons, scuba diving, theme parks and more. Destinations are Sydney, Perth, Gold Coast, Brisbane and Melbourne. Minimum spend of $179. T&Cs apply.
Up to 67% off + extra $15 off with code
Valid sitewide on experiences $79 or more across Australia including skydiving, ghost tours, driving, go karting, sailing, hot air ballooning, diving, bridge climbing, scuba diving and more. T&Cs apply.
Extra 15% off with code
Valid on your first purchase with Adrenaline. Experiences include skydiving, scenic flights, hot air ballooning, V8 experiences, rally driving, scuba diving and more. Minimum spend of $179. T&Cs apply.