Guide to the IHG Rewards Club program
Collect points on your hotel stays, enjoy exclusive rates on bookings and a wide range of complimentary extras with the IHG Rewards Club.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The InterContinental Hotel Group (IHG) is one of the world’s largest hotel companies in the world, with over 5,000 properties across 12 brands including InterContinental, Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza. Its loyalty program, IHG Rewards Club, gives you the opportunity to enjoy a range of rewards and exclusive benefits when you stay at participating hotels located in nearly 100 countries and territories across the globe.
What's in this guide?
How does the IHG Rewards Club program work?
As an IHG Rewards Club member, you can earn points for hotel stays with InterContinental Hotel Group, which you can redeem for rewards including free nights at participating hotels, other travel options, merchandise and gift cards. You also have the option of earning frequent flyer points instead of hotel reward points.
The IHG Rewards Club also offers a range of exclusive benefits, including exclusive booking rates, free Internet and access to a dedicated concierge service. Depending on your membership status, you could also enjoy perks such as priority check-in, late check-out and room upgrades.
How do I join IHG Rewards Club?
There is no fee to join this program, and you can sign up at any time using the following steps:
1. Go to the IHG Rewards Club website.
2. Click the “Join now” button. You will then be taken to a secure application page.
3. Provide your name, contact details and a four-digit PIN.
4. Read the terms and conditions, check the box to confirm you accept them and click “Join now”.
You will then be sent a confirmation email with your account details.
You can also sign up for the program during a stay at an IHG Hotel. Once you’re a member, you’ll be prompted to download the IHG Rewards Club app. This gives you access to your virtual membership cards and allows you to make bookings, receive exclusive rate offers, and review your points activity. There is also a companion language translation app that could help when you’re travelling overseas. Alternatively, you can manage your account online via the IHG Rewards Club website.
How to earn points with your IHG Rewards Club membership
The IHG Rewards Club offers several ways to earn points, including hotel spending, credit card rewards and dining when you’re in the US. We’ve outlined the details for each category below.
To receive credit/points for your hotel stays, make sure you provide your IHG Rewards Club membership number when making a reservation and again when you’re checking in at the hotel.
You’ll earn 10 points per US$1 with most InterContinental Hotels Group properties, including the following hotels:
- Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts
- Event Hotels
- Hotel Indigo
- Hualuxe Hotels and Resorts
- Holiday Inn (including Express, Resort and Club Vacation brands)
- InterContinental Hotels & Resorts
IHG Rewards Club also offers 5 points per US$1 spent on bookings with Candlewood Suites or Staybridge Suites. If you become an IHG Rewards Club member during your stay at one of the above hotels, you’ll earn a flat rate of 1,000 points for that stay, and the regular earn rates thereafter.
You can also earn points for qualifying stays at ANA co-branded hotels and ANA partner hotels in Japan, with the earn rate varying between hotels. For ANA InterContinental, ANA Crowne Plaza and ANA Holiday Inn, you get 10 points for each US$1 or local currency equivalent paid toward eligible charges on your individual hotel room bill. For other ANA hotels, you earn 1,300 points or 600 points per qualifying stay.
A Greener Stay offer
The IHG Rewards Club offers a set rate of 500 points if you decline housekeeping services at participating hotels when you stay for at least 2 consecutive nights. This offer, known as “A Greener Stay”, helps protect the environment by minimising water and energy usage. You can request this option during your check-in at participating IHG hotels.
IHG Rewards Club Dine & Earn allows you to earn between 1 and 8 points per US$1 spent on dining at over 11,000 participating restaurants, bars, or clubs in the US. This optional program requires you to create an IHG Rewards Club Dining account and register the debit or credit cards you plan to use when dining out.
If you choose to become a member, you’ll have the opportunity to earn points at the following rates:
- 1 point per US$1. Members who sign up and choose not to receive email communication from IHG Rewards Club Dining get this rate.
- 5 points per US$1. If you are happy to get IHG Rewards Club Dining emails, then you’ll enjoy this rate for your spending at participating venues in the US.
- 8 points per US$1. VIP members who have chosen to receive emails and also have 12 or more qualified dining transactions in a calendar year get this rate.
Currently, the Diners Club is the only issuer in Australia that allows you to transfer points to your IHG reward points account, at a rate of 2 Diners Club Rewards for 1 IHG Rewards Club point.
You can transfer your points online via the Diners Club website or by calling the Diners Club on 1300 360 060 and following the steps below:
1. Select the IHG Rewards Club from the participating travel loyalty programs.
2. Select the number of points you want to transfer. Note a minimum transfer amount may apply at this stage of the process.
3. Confirm and accept the terms and conditions.
Buying IHG Rewards Club points
You can also purchase points for your IHG Rewards Club account. You can buy points in increments of 1,000, up to a maximum amount of 150,000 points per year. You can purchase points by logging in to your account, or by calling the Australian IHG Rewards Club Service Centre on (02) 9935 8362 (note that tolls apply).
Earning frequent flyer points through the IHG Rewards Club program
As an IHG Rewards Club member, you have the choice between earning IHG Rewards or frequent flyer points with a participating program, including Qantas Frequent Flyer, Velocity, Emirates Skywards and Etihad Guest. You can switch between earning IHG Rewards Club points and frequent flyer points at any time using the following steps:
1. Log in to your IHG Rewards Club account.
2. Go to “My Account” and select “Manage Earning Preference” from the Quick Links column on the right-hand side.
3. Click on the “Airline Miles” option. You will then be prompted to choose a participating frequent flyer partner.
4. Select your chosen frequent flyer program, enter your membership details and click “Save changes”.
Your account summary will then show your earning preference as “Miles”, which allows you to earn frequent flyer points for your hotel stays and other account activity.
Before choosing to earn frequent flyer points through IHG Rewards Club, make sure you also consider the following details:
- Qualifying spend. This includes spending on guest rooms, meetings and events, conference rooms, food and beverage services linked to meetings and conferences as well as all-inclusive meeting packages.
- Processing time. It can take up to six weeks for points to show up in your frequent flyer account after an eligible stay.
- Bonus points. Additional points from any promotions or packages offered through IHG Rewards Club may vary if you choose to earn miles instead of IHG Rewards points. For example, IHG Rewards point earners might get an offer for a 10,000 Bonus Point Package when staying 7-nights at a participating hotel. This converts to 250 frequent flyer miles.
How many frequent flyer points can I earn with IHG Rewards Club?
The number of frequent flyer points or miles you'll get through IHG Rewards varies between frequent flyer programs and hotels. As an example, here is what you can earn through Qantas Frequent Flyer and Velocity Frequent Flyer:
Qantas Frequent Flyer
- 1,000 Qantas Points per qualifying stay outside Australia at Intercontinental Hotels & Resorts outside Australia.
- 600 Qantas Points per qualifying stay outside Australia at Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo, Holiday Inn Hotels & Resorts, Staybridge Suites and Candlewood Suites.
- 3 Qantas Points per $1 spent on Australian hotel stays with Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo, Holiday Inn Hotels & Resorts, InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, Staybridge Suites, Candlewood Suites.
Velocity Frequent Flyer
- 600 Velocity Points per qualifying stay outside Australia at InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants, Hotel Indigo, EVEN Hotels, HUALUXE Hotels and Resorts, Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Holiday Inn Club Vacations, Holiday Inn Resort, Staybridge Suites and Candlewood Suites hotels.
- 3 Velocity Points per $1 spent on eligible charges at the following hotels in Australia: InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants, Hotel Indigo, EVEN Hotels, HUALUXE Hotels and Resorts, Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Holiday Inn Club Vacations, Holiday Inn Resort, Staybridge Suites and Candlewood Suites hotels.
How can I use IHG Rewards points?
The IHG Rewards Club offers a range of ways to use points in-house, including hotel stays, flights and shopping. We’ve outlined each of the key categories below.
You can redeem IHG Rewards points for stays at participating hotels around the world. The point cost varies depending on the hotel brand and location, starting from 10,000 points per night. To give you an idea of the cost, below are a few popular options in Australia, based on a 1-night stay for 2 people in the same room (as of 9 March 2020).
- Holiday Inn Cairns. 30,000 points per night.
- Holiday Inn Potts Point Sydney. 40,000 points per night.
- InterContinental Sydney. 65,000 points per night.
- InterContinental Melbourne, 60,000 points per night.
- Crowne Plaza Melbourne. 50,000 points per night.
To redeem Reward Nights with your points, simply log in to your account and select “Reward Nights” as the rate preference when searching for hotels. The search results will then show hotel options with the nightly rate in both dollars and points so you can choose how you want to pay.
Frequent flyer point transfers
As well as being able to link your IHG Rewards Club account with eligible partner airline loyalty programs, you can also transfer your hotel points to a partner frequent flyer program. The transfer rate may vary between programs but is typically 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points for 2,000 frequent flyer miles or points. This includes transfers to Qantas Frequent Flyer, Velocity Frequent Flyer, Asia Miles, Emirates Skywards, Etihad Guest and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer.
To do this, you will need to contact your regional IHG Rewards Customer Care team and request a transfer. In Australia, you can call the team on (02) 9935 8362 (note that tolls apply).
The IHG Rewards Club also has an online catalogue of rewards you can get with your points. These include options in the following categories:
- Merchandise. You can redeem your rewards for a variety of items including cameras, iPods, homewares, camping gear and jewellery.
- Gift cards. IHG Rewards offers a range of retail, dining and entertainment gift cards from brands including Coles Myer, David Jones, Westfield, WISH, Bunnings and JB Hi-Fi.
- Donations. You can also donate your points to an IHG Rewards Club charity, with partners including CARE International (UK), International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) and Goodwill Industries International.
What if I don’t have enough IHG Reward points?
The IHG Rewards Club offers the following options if you don’t have enough points for your chosen reward:
- Points & Cash. Many redemptions allow you to use a combination of points and cash, including hotel stays, flights and car hire. Note that minimum point amounts apply for this option.
- Buy points. You can purchase points in blocks of 1,000, up to a maximum of 60,000 points per year.
- Gift or transfer points. In addition to purchasing points for yourself, you can also gift them, transfer them to another member or receive points from another member. Note that charges, minimum gifting and transfer amounts may apply. Log in to your IHG Rewards Club account for full details.
IHG Rewards Club membership status
This loyalty program offers four levels of membership: Club, Gold Elite, Platinum Elite and Spire Elite. The higher your membership status, the more benefits you’ll get.
When you first join the program, you will have Club membership status. This entitles you to the following benefits:
- The ability to earn and redeem IHG Rewards points or frequent flyer points
- Free Internet at more than 5,000 hotels and resorts worldwide
- Exclusive hotel rates
- Dedicated customer service phone line
- No blackout dates for Reward Nights or flights with more than 400 airlines
- Exclusive member-only treatment, such as in-hotel recognition and special offers
- IHG Rewards Club Concierge service
To progress to a higher membership tier, you must reach a specific number of qualifying stays per year. A qualifying stay is any night’s stay in the current calendar year at a participating hotel at an eligible rate and paid for by the member.
To progress from Club membership to Gold Elite status, you must stay at least 10 qualifying nights and must earn at least 10,000 Elite Qualifying points per calendar year. In addition to the standard Club benefits, this status level offers the following:
- 10% point bonus. You’ll earn 10% more points than Club members.
- No point expiry. If you’re a current Elite member, you won’t have to worry about point expiry as long as you have Elite status.
- Priority check-in. As a Gold Member, you’re eligible for a faster check-in process at participating hotels in the IHG portfolio.
- Extended check-out. Subject to availability, you will be able to check-out later than standard guests or regular Club Members. Simply ask staff at your hotel if extended check-out is available to take advantage of this offer.
If you stay at least 40 qualifying nights and earn 40,000 Elite Qualifying points per calendar year, you’ll earn Platinum Elite Status. This entitles you to the following additional benefits:
- 50% bonus points. You’ll earn 50% more points than regular Club members.
- Elite rollover nights. If you have stayed more than the required 40 qualifying nights in a year, the additional nights will be counted toward your Elite status qualification for the following calendar year. Elite Rollover Nights are only valid for one calendar year.
- Complimentary room upgrades. At the time of check-in, you may be offered a complimentary upgrade. Options could include rooms on higher floors, corner rooms, newly renovated rooms, or rooms with preferred views. The upgrade will be offered based on availability and will only apply to your personal guest room. The hotel is not required to upgrade members to suites or specialty rooms. Upgrade benefits will not apply to rooms booked as a Reward Night reservation.
- Guaranteed room availability. If you make a booking directly with the IHG Rewards Club Service Centre, you will be guaranteed one room for personal use. To take advantage of this offer, you will need to provide a valid credit card and make your reservation at least 72 hours prior to the date of arrival. Individual hotels may impose exceptions to this benefit during special events that result in extraordinary room demand.
Stay at least 75 qualifying nights and earn at least 75,000 Elite Qualifying points per calendar year and you’ll reach the highest tier of this program. In addition to all the other benefits of lower membership levels, this entitles you to the following:
- 100% bonus points. You’ll earn double the points of a standard Club member.
- Exclusive choice benefit upon receiving status. When you reach Spire Elite status, you can choose to receive either a 25,000 annual point bonus or to gift Platinum Elite status to a family member or friend.
- Exclusive Hertz Gold Plus RewardsFive Star status upgrade upon receiving status. When you become a Spire Elite member, you’ll be able to enjoy this higher level of status with the Hertz rewards program. This allows you to earn more Hertz points and enjoy exclusive discounts or upgrades on your rental cars. Usually, you only get Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Five Star status after 7 rentals or spending US$1,500 or more annually.
What should I consider before joining IHG Rewards?
Here are the key details to keep in mind if you’re interested in becoming an IHG Rewards Club member:
- Point expiry. To maintain the points in your account, you must have at least one earn or redeem transaction posted to your account every 12 months. Points in your account do not expire for all current Elite members. However, your points may still expire 12 months after your account moves to Club level from an Elite level if there is no earn or redeem activity.
- Exclusive member rates. The exclusive room rates offered to IHG Rewards Club members are only available if you book through one of IHG’s websites (including mobile sites), the IHG app, IHG's central reservations office, or at the front desk of an IHG hotel. Member-exclusive rates are not available in all regions. For example, these rates are not available at properties in China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. Availability of member-exclusive rates varies by brand as well.
- Contact. IHG Rewards has dedicated customer service lines for each major geographic region. In Australia, you can contact them anytime on (02) 9935 8362 (toll charges may apply).
The IHG Rewards Club gives you the ability to earn and redeem points at a wide range of hotels around the world, including well-known brands such as Holiday Inn, InterContinental Hotel and Crowne Plaza. It also offers benefits at IHG hotels, such as exclusive room rates and personalised services. If you’re a regular guest at IHG hotels, these benefits could make a difference to your stay, but it’s also worth comparing a range of other travel reward programs so that you can find the option that’s right for your needs and travel habits.Back to top
More guides on Finder
Citi Rewards Card – Bonus Points Offer
Earn flexible rewards points as you spend and enjoy a big 100,000 bonus points offer with the Citi Rewards Credit Card.
HSBC Platinum Credit Card
This card offers 0% interest on balance transfers for 36 months, a discounted $29 first year annual fee and platinum benefits including airport lounge passes and complimentary insurance covers.
Citi Rewards Card – Velocity Points Offer
Enjoy 100,000 bonus Velocity Points, a reduced first-year annual fee and points per $1 spent with the Citi Rewards credit card.
American Express Qantas Business Rewards Card
The Amex Qantas Business Rewards Card offers 150,000 bonus Qantas Points, no pre-set spending limit and platinum perks including complimentary insurances.
Citi Rewards Card – Points & Gift Card Offer
Enjoy an introductory 90,000 bonus Citi reward Points, a $100 Coles eGift card, plus a reduced first-year annual fee with this Citi Rewards Card offer.
Blue Mountains hotels | Where to stay in NSW’s world heritage area
Compare Blue Mountains hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Citi Rewards Card – Balance Transfer Offer
Take advantage of a 0% balance transfer offer for 30 months and a discounted annual fee for the first year with this Citi Rewards credit card offer.
Albany hotels | Where to stay on Western Australia’s south coast
Compare Albany hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Bendigo hotels | Where to stay in the Ceramic Centre of Victoria
Compare Bendigo hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Hotel health and safety measures that will help keep you safe during COVID-19
Have a safe stay on your next Australian getaway with these hotel health and safety measures.
Supercharge your frequent flyer points with Points Finder
Ask an Expert