We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
A drugs and alcohol policy helps to protect your business and your employees by ensuring policies and procedures are met. It also acts as a deterrent so your employees will think twice about abusing drugs and alcohol on the job.
We'll show you how to write your own drugs and alcohol policy, what to include and where to find free template downloads.
What's in this guide?
- What is a drugs and alcohol policy?
- When should I use a drugs and alcohol policy?
- Drugs and alcohol policy vs substance policy
- What is included in a drugs and alcohol policy?
- How effective is a drugs and alcohol policy?
- Do I need a lawyer to write a drugs and alcohol policy?
- Get access to customisable Drugs and Alcohol policy templates online
- How do I write a drugs and alcohol policy?
- Where to get free legal documents and templates like a drugs and alcohol policy
What is a drugs and alcohol policy?
If you have employees working for you, you will want to draft up a drug and alcohol policy. This is an essential HR document that details the company's tolerance of drugs and alcohol in the workplace and how it affects their employment.
Download this drugs and alcohol policy template at Lawpath
When should I use a drugs and alcohol policy?
If you have any kind of business where employees are working on site or on the road, it's vital that you get a drugs and alcohol policy in place. It protects your rights as an employer and avoids unlawful dismissal cases from going to court. It also clearly states the rules on drug testing.
Drugs and alcohol policy vs substance policy
A substance policy is just another name for a drugs and alcohol policy; you can use either one.
What is included in a drugs and alcohol policy?
A drugs and alcohol workplace policy is a two-page document that your HR department can draft up. It includes the following:
- Company rules and regulations concerning drugs and alcohol in the workplace
- Support offers for those with a known dependency and acknowledgement of those who come forward
- An outline of the company's policies and expectations surrounding drug testing
- The consequences of taking drugs and alcohol in the workplace
How effective is a drugs and alcohol policy?
In order to be effective, your drugs and alcohol workplace policy must comply with current health and safety legislation. Both parties also have to date and sign the document for it to be legally binding.
Without a drugs and alcohol policy in place, your company could find themselves wrapped up in an unlawful dismissal case. Drugs and alcohol in the workplace also affects production and is a safety risk. With this document in place, you can take action when employees fail to follow the policy and procedures laid out.
Do I need a lawyer to write a drugs and alcohol policy?
You don't need a lawyer to draft up a drugs and alcohol policy, but you must make sure it is compliant with the appropriate governmental laws surrounding workplace safety.
Get access to customisable Drugs and Alcohol policy templates online
Does your company belong in this list?
How do I write a drugs and alcohol policy?
Consult your HR department to see if there is a drugs and alcohol policy template on file. You can easily find a free template to download online, which will give you the required format, what to include and how to write it. You can customise the template to suit your workplace policies and procedures.
Where to get free legal documents and templates like a drugs and alcohol policy
You can try government health and workplace safety websites to get an idea of what to include and the correct wording for a drugs and alcohol policy. There are also many legal sites online where you can view the document you need before downloading. Other legal sites offer unlimited access to their library of legal and business documents with a membership. Here are some examples:
- Lawpath. Lawpath is an online legal resource for small businesses and entrepreneurs. You can view samples of legal document templates for free, but a fee is required for access to downloads and customisable options.
- Wonder.Legal. Wonder.Legal offers over 140 legal document templates with an average fee of $22.96. Once you fill out a questionnaire Wonder.Legal does the rest.
- LawDepot. LawDepot offers hundreds of business and legal documents free to download. All you do is fill them in online before downloading the documents straight to your computer.
- LegalVision. LegalVision charges a monthly fee of $199 in return for unlimited access to legal document templates.
More guides on Finder
How to start a flooring business
From developing your skills to building your customer base, here's what you need to know to start your own flooring business.
How to start a smartphone app business
Learn the key considerations when it comes to starting and growing your smartphone app company.
Workplace Hygiene Policy templates (Australia)
A personal hygiene in the workplace policy will help keep visitors and customers safe.
Harassment Lawyer (free quote)
How to hire an experienced harassment lawyer to make sure you receive a fair outcome for your claim.
Free change of business name templates (Australia)
Rebrand and evolve your business the right way with a change of business name template.
Hairdressing rent-a-chair agreement templates
How to create a rent-a-chair agreement and bring in more income for your hair salon.
Free Testimonial Release Form templates (Australia)
Learn about how to secure consent for the use of a personal testimonial.
Free Employee Record Form templates (Australia)
Streamline your record-keeping processes with an employee record form.
Free consent to act as an officeholder templates (Australia)
Use a free template to write a consent to act for your company’s officeholders.
Ask an Expert