This travel insurance policy from DownUnder exemplifies qualities that backpackers value: convenience, affordability and functionality.
Whether you’re heading abroad to finally take on your long-time dream of an overseas working holiday or leaving on a mission to cure a serious case of the travel bug, having a solid travel policy in place insurance to protect you from head to toe is a necessity while globetrotting, especially for the carefree travellers among us who have a hard time turning down invitations to get up to crazy antics with the locals.
But what if you got sick, were injured, lost all your travel documents or just plain lost with nowhere to turn to? This is where DownUnder Backpackers Travel Insurance comes in. Nobody knows the highs and lows of travel like Downunder Insurance does, whose highly personable staff are fellow travel addicts who have literally been there, done that and now spend their time helping other backpackers and working holiday visa holders overcome some common bumps along the road.
Read more about DownUnder Backpacker Travel Insurance Policy Review
- What Does Downunder Backpackers (International) Protect Against?
- Additional Benefits Available for Downunder Backpackers (International)?
- Pre-Existing Conditions and Downunder Backpackers (International) Insurance
- General Exclusions for Downunder Backpackers (International)
- FAQs About Downunder Backpackers (International)
What Does Downunder Backpackers (International) Protect Against?
As a backpacker out to explore all that the world can offer, you are probably looking forward to living in the moment and saying ‘yes’ to all opportunities that you come across, including some activities which may be outside your normal usual comfort zone.
Because Downunder Insurance understands that some of your best travel memories can be made on the road less taken, they offer more cover than your average travel insurer with a focus on international adventures so that you’re able to take on all those rare, exotic opportunities with ease, knowing that Downunder Insurance has got your back.
With a Downunder Backpackers (International) Plan, you are automatically covered from head to toe for:
- Amateur sports and leisure activities such as bungee jumping, white/black water rafting and scuba diving (under licensed instruction/with an Australian open water diving license)
- Cancellation fees and lost deposits if an unexpected incident such as sickness, injuries, strikes, collisions, retrenchment and natural disaster prevents you from going ahead with your planned trip
- Unlimited overseas emergency medical assistance and hospital expenses including ambulance, 24hr emergency medical assistance, medical evacuations, funeral arrangements, messages to family, hospital guarantees and medical, hospital, surgical, nursing and emergency dental treatment
- Additional expenses for extra accommodation and travel expenses caused by sickness, injury or death, or to have your travelling companion or relative to stay near you if you are hospitalised or require medical evacuation
- Accidental death by providing a benefit lump sum payment if you die within 12 months of injuring yourself on your trip because of that same injury
- Permanent disability benefit payout if you injure yourself during your travels and totally lose sight in your eye or the total use of your hand or foot indefinitely because of your injury
- Travel documents, credit cards and cheques to replace those important things you may have lost or had stolen, such as passports, credit cards, travel documents and travellers cheques
- Theft of cash so not all is lost if you have bank notes, cash, currency notes, postal orders or money orders taken from you
- Luggage and personal effects to replace or repair stolen or damaged personal items including luggage, spectacles, personal effects, personal computers and cameras
- Travel delay expenses for delays longer than 6 hours that were beyond your control
- Alternative transport expenses so you’re not paying out of your own pocket to get to events such as weddings, funerals, conferences, sporting events or prepaid travel arrangements after transport delays
- Personal liability to cover you for legal liability – including legal expenses - as a result of a claim made against you for hurting another person or damaging their property
Additional Benefits Available for Downunder Backpackers (International)
Planning on renting a car, taking your valuables such as a laptop or camera along, or think you’ll end up making multiple claims? Then you could get maximum value out of your Downunder Insurance Backpackers (International) Travel Insurance by adding on additional benefits, such as:
- Rental vehicle excess cover – By adding on the $3,000 Rental Vehicle Excess Cover, you’ll be spared the freak out moment if your rental car is stolen or damaged during your trip. With a rental vehicle excess cover, you’ll be able to claim the insurance excess or the cost of repairing your rental car – whichever one is the lesser.
- Specified luggage and personal effects cover – If you take out the standard single Downunder Insurance Backpackers (International) Travel Insurance, you will only be ensured for a total of $2,000 for all your luggage and personal effects. Doesn’t sound like a lot if you’re taking your laptop, camera, iPad, mobile phone and other valuables along, does it? If you’re taking along valuables that mean a lot to you, consider purchasing additional cover for them up to a total of $5,000. Beware though: jewellery, bicycles or Snow Sport Equipment are not included.
- Removal of standard excess – As with all insurance plans, every time you put in a claim you will be charged an excess fee, which is $100 in Downunder Insurance’s case. By paying an additional premium up front, you’ll be spared your $100 each time you submit an application to claim. This may be particularly useful if you are travelling long-term, as you will most likely have more reasons to claim from Downunder Insurance Backpackers (International) plan.
Pre-Existing Conditions and Downunder Backpackers (International) Insurance
For Downunder Insurance, a pre-existing medical condition is classified as:
- An ongoing medical or dental condition, complication or symptoms of which you currently know about;
- A medical or dental condition that is currently being, or has been investigated, or treated by a health professional (including dentist or chiropractor) at any time in the past before you purchased Downunder Insurance Backpackers (International) plan;
- Any condition for which you take prescribed medicine;
- Any condition for which you’ve had surgery;
- Any condition for which you see a medical specialist; or
Alike other travel insurance brands, Downunder Insurance only provides cover for emergency overseas medical events that happened out of the blue. Under the Backpackers (International) Travel Insurance Plan, you will only be covered for their listed group of pre-existing medical conditions that are automatically covered with no additional premiums required.
If you think you may have what is classified as a pre-existing medical condition, simply see if your condition is listed in the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and contact Downunder Insurance to discuss your next steps.Back to top
General Exclusions for Downunder Backpackers (International)
While having comprehensive travel insurance like the Downunder Insurance Backpackers (International) plan for your globetrotting days is a great start, it is not a substitute for common sense.
It is critical to have a clear understanding of the policy exclusions before taking out cover. Some reasons why your application to claim could be rejected include:
- You ignored the travel warning advisories from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and travelled to a region that had a DO NOT TRAVEL warning
- You were irresponsible such as acting up while under the influence of alcohol, leaving your luggage without supervision in a public place or driving without a current Australian drivers licence
- You were under the influence of drugs other than those prescribed by a medical practitioner and taken accordingly
- You’re claiming for a pre-existing medical condition that you didn’t tell Downunder Insurance about when you first applied for your Backpackers (International) travel insurance
- You failed to have the relevant visa, passport or travel documents
- You acted illegally or unlawfully
- You were participating in high-risk adventure sports or activities
- It relates to self-inflicted harm, including suicide
- It relates to a potential or actual epidemic or pandemic
- It relates from snow sport activities
- It relates to acts of war, rebellion or terrorism
Just as you wouldn’t expect your friends to be unreasonable with you when asking for your help in times of need, save yourself the trouble of having to tackle a challenge by yourself in times of need by being aware of all the exclusions of the Backpackers (International) Travel Insurance Plan, as listed in the product disclosure statement (PDS).Back to top
FAQs About Downunder Backpackers (International)
What is the age limit for the Backpackers (International) Travel Insurance policy?
You must be under 65 years of age on the day you buy your travel insurance. If you are above 65 years old you are welcome to contact Downunder Insurance directly to organise a suitable personal cover.
I’m leaving on a one-way ticket. Does my cover end when I reach my destination?
Under the Backpacker (International) Travel Insurance Plan, your cover will end when you return home to Australia or on the date specified on your Certificate of Insurance.
How do I make a claim?
Making a claim with Downunder Insurance is as easy as 1-2-3.
- Contact Downunder Insurance’s Client Services Department for a claim form and complete it as soon as possible.
- Follow extra instructions – if your claim relates to:
- Medical, hospital or dental – contact Allianz Global Assistance as soon as possible
- Damage or permanent loss of luggage and personal effects – report it to the police immediately and obtain a written notice of your report
- Damaged or misplaced luggage and personal effects by your transport provider or accommodation – report it to the appropriate official and obtain a written report
- Submit your full claim in writing within 30 days after you return to Australia. Your claim will be paid in Australian dollars.
Apply for Downunder Backpackers Insurance Online
Backpacking is one of the greatest methods to travel long-term and see the world, but your limited resources, language barriers and finances could easily diminish quickly one after another if you were to become injured, stranded or left without your belongings. With Downunder Insurance and their team of fellow understanding travellers, the Backpackers (International) Travel Insurance policy will quickly become the most valuable item in your backpack.