With a flip-phone design, easy-to-press buttons and a raft of accessibility features, the Doro 6520 is a simple alternative to the complexities of modern smartphones.
Contrary to what companies like Apple and Samsung would have you believe, some people don't need a $1,000 supercomputer hanging out in their pocket 24 hours a day. All those high-resolution cameras, enormous touch screens and powerful processors that modern smartphones tout might sound flashy on paper, but they're ultimately luxury features that add significant complexity and cost to the humble mobile phone. If all you're looking for is a device that will let you keep in touch with friends and family, buying a brand new smartphone can often be overkill.
British phone manufacturer Doro realised this and set about designing simple, affordable handsets that strip away all extraneous smartphone features and focus primarily on calling and texting. The Doro 6520 is one such handset. Pitched as an "Easy Phone", the 6520 incorporates a range of accessibility features that make it particularly well-suited for the elderly or those with disabilities that affect their dexterity and motor functions.
- Simple flip-phone design with large physical buttons for easy operation
- Wide array of accessibility options for those who need them
- The simple point-and-shoot 2MP camera should serve well enough for basic photography
- You'll want to purchase a microSD card if you plan on taking a lot of photos or videos
- Sufficient power for the simple tasks it's designed for
- Limited internal storage caps the number of contacts it can hold
- Up to 8 hours of talk time, according to Doro
- Battery can be removed and replaced if necessary
Pricing and availability
A phone with all the nonsense cut out
The Doro 6520 puts accessibility front and centre with its large physical buttons, simple menus and helpful emergency assistance features.
- The Doro 6520 is available outright from Optus for $119.
|Display size (inches)||2.8|
|Display resolution (pixels)||240 x 320|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||143|
|Battery size (mAh)||800|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||2|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||N/A|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution|
|Front camera (1) aperture||N/A|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||N/A|