Flight deals to the Dominican Republic
Find low fares on flights from Australia to the Dominican Republic.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The Dominican Republic is a fascinating combination of Spanish colonial influences and the natural beauty of a Caribbean island. Visitors can discover tropical beaches, lush jungles, national parks and waterfalls hidden among the mountains as well as very welcoming locals. You can also find plenty of wonderful architecture, wildlife and water activities.
There are two main international airports: Punta Cana and Santo Domingo. Punta Cana is famous for its beaches and crystal waters while Santo Domingo is the Dominican Republic’s capital and one of the Caribbean’s oldest cities. This is not a cheap or easy place to get to so flexibility is key when looking for flight deals from Australia.
Dominican Republic flight times
- From Sydney: 27 hrs 30 mins
- From Melbourne: 37 hrs
- From Perth: 41 hrs 30 mins
- From Brisbane: 39 hrs
Airlines that fly to the Dominican Republic
- American Airlines
- United Airlines
Dominican Republic insider flight tips
- American Airlines, Delta and United Airlines fly to the Dominican Republic from Australia, stopping in Los Angeles and New York. Many major airlines, such as Emirates, go via their national hub and New York (JFK) before you connect to Santo Domingo Las Americas Airport (SDQ) with US carrier, JetBlue. It’s also possible to fly with many of the Asian airlines via China and the United States or with LATAM via Auckland and South/Central America. Air Canada also flies from Australia via Vancouver and Toronto.
- Since flight times are so long, a visit to the Dominican Republic is also a very good excuse to explore other parts of the Caribbean as well as parts of Central America, South America or North America in order to break up the journey. Santo Domingo Airport is connected directly with a few cities in the United States, Canada, South and Central America and with Madrid, Spain.
- The lowest fares on flights to the Dominican Republic come with very long journey times. The more time you have and the more flexible you can be with dates and route, the better chance you have of finding a good flight deal to the Dominican Republic
- Check your visa requirements if flying via the United States, including Hawaii, or via Canada. Click here for up-to-date advice on the Australian government’s travel advice site.
How to get from the airport
Foreigners arriving in the Dominican Republic require a tourist card which can be purchased from airport customs for US$10 or online in advance. It is valid for 30 days.
The most common method of getting to and from the airport is by prearranged private or shared shuttle transfers. Check with your hotel or package provider to see if they are included. If not, there are plenty of private airport shuttle companies which you can find and pre-book online. You can find major car rental companies at both airports. At Santo Domingo (SQR), there is a taxi rank on Level 1 of the South Terminal and at Punta Cana Airport, the taxi rank is outside customs. Authorised taxi drivers often carry a copy of their standard rates, but it’s always safest to establish the fare before getting in. Bus services in the Dominican Republic can be unreliable, crowded and potentially unsafe. If you use them, you will need to research your route beforehand.
There have been reports in the past of baggage theft from the airports. Watch all your bags carefully when passing through. It is best to ignore offers of help with your bags and be sure to use only authorised airport transport.
More guides on Finder
Virgin sale: $59 flights throughout winter
EXPIRED: Take your pick from one of the flexible flight deals in Virgin's rest of Australia sale.
Cheap flights to Coffs Habour (CFS) and deals for 2021
Find out how much you should be paying for flights, the best time to book and transport options with our guide for booking flights to Coffs Harbour.
Australian Open 2021 flight deals
Find all the Australian Open 2021 flight deals right here.
Cheap flights to Cuba to book in 2021
Compare airfares, learn when to book your flights for the best price and get the latest deals on flights to Cuba.
Flights of the Week: Australia, Europe, Asia and the USA
Our favourite fares this week include domestic flights from $29, Asia from $109 and Europe from $1,019 return.
Flights of the Week: North America, Indonesia and Italy
Fly across the continents with our flights of the week, including Italy from $877, Bali from $232 and North America from $875 return.
Gift yourself flights to Bali from $232 return with Malindo Air
EXPIRED: Fly to Bali this new year with Malindo Air low fares.
Best Black Friday 2019 flights: Australia, Asia, USA
Flights across Australia from $39 each way, to Asia from $115 each way and to Los Angeles from $899 return.
Flights of the Week: Australia, Asia and North America
Our flights of the week include $39.95 airfares across Australia, $135 airfares to Asia and $1,049 return to North America.
Air Canada Black Friday deals for 2021
Get in here first for the best Air Canada Black Friday flight and points deals this year.
Ask an Expert