Flight deals to the Dominican Republic
Find low fares on flights from Australia to the Dominican Republic.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The Dominican Republic is a fascinating combination of Spanish colonial influences and the natural beauty of a Caribbean island. Visitors can discover tropical beaches, lush jungles, national parks and waterfalls hidden among the mountains as well as very welcoming locals. You can also find plenty of wonderful architecture, wildlife and water activities.
There are two main international airports: Punta Cana and Santo Domingo. Punta Cana is famous for its beaches and crystal waters while Santo Domingo is the Dominican Republic’s capital and one of the Caribbean’s oldest cities. This is not a cheap or easy place to get to so flexibility is key when looking for flight deals from Australia.
Dominican Republic flight times
- From Sydney: 27 hrs 30 mins
- From Melbourne: 37 hrs
- From Perth: 41 hrs 30 mins
- From Brisbane: 39 hrs
Airlines that fly to the Dominican Republic
- American Airlines
- United Airlines
Dominican Republic insider flight tips
- American Airlines, Delta and United Airlines fly to the Dominican Republic from Australia, stopping in Los Angeles and New York. Many major airlines, such as Emirates, go via their national hub and New York (JFK) before you connect to Santo Domingo Las Americas Airport (SDQ) with US carrier, JetBlue. It’s also possible to fly with many of the Asian airlines via China and the United States or with LATAM via Auckland and South/Central America. Air Canada also flies from Australia via Vancouver and Toronto.
- Since flight times are so long, a visit to the Dominican Republic is also a very good excuse to explore other parts of the Caribbean as well as parts of Central America, South America or North America in order to break up the journey. Santo Domingo Airport is connected directly with a few cities in the United States, Canada, South and Central America and with Madrid, Spain.
- The lowest fares on flights to the Dominican Republic come with very long journey times. The more time you have and the more flexible you can be with dates and route, the better chance you have of finding a good flight deal to the Dominican Republic
- Check your visa requirements if flying via the United States, including Hawaii, or via Canada. Click here for up-to-date advice on the Australian government’s travel advice site.
How to get from the airport
Foreigners arriving in the Dominican Republic require a tourist card which can be purchased from airport customs for US$10 or online in advance. It is valid for 30 days.
The most common method of getting to and from the airport is by prearranged private or shared shuttle transfers. Check with your hotel or package provider to see if they are included. If not, there are plenty of private airport shuttle companies which you can find and pre-book online. You can find major car rental companies at both airports. At Santo Domingo (SQR), there is a taxi rank on Level 1 of the South Terminal and at Punta Cana Airport, the taxi rank is outside customs. Authorised taxi drivers often carry a copy of their standard rates, but it’s always safest to establish the fare before getting in. Bus services in the Dominican Republic can be unreliable, crowded and potentially unsafe. If you use them, you will need to research your route beforehand.
There have been reports in the past of baggage theft from the airports. Watch all your bags carefully when passing through. It is best to ignore offers of help with your bags and be sure to use only authorised airport transport.
More guides on Finder
Cheap flights to Queensland you can book in 2021
Secure flights to Brisbane, Cairns, Gold Coast, Townsville and more with this guide to finding cheap flights to Queensland.
Flights to Coffs Habour (CFS) and deals for 2021
Find out how much you should be paying for flights, the best time to book and transport options with our guide for booking flights to Coffs Harbour.
Cheap flights to Tasmania for 2021
From the best prices to where the airport is, here is everything you need to know about flying to Tasmania.
Australian Open 2020 flight deals
Find all the Australian Open 2020 flight deals right here.
Cheap Vanuatu flights to book in 2021
Compare airfares, learn when to book your flights for the best price and get the latest deals on flights to Vanuatu.
Cheap Broome flights to book in 2021
Compare airfares, learn when to book your flights for the best price and get the latest deals on flights to Broome.
Flights of the Week: Australia, Italy and Asia
This week you could enjoy domestic flights up to 30% off, Asia and Europe from $135 one way and Rome from $844 return.
Flights of the Week: Australia, Europe, Asia and the USA
Our favourite fares this week include domestic flights from $29, Asia from $109 and Europe from $1,019 return.
Get to Japan faster with Qantas’ new direct flights
Travelling to Tokyo just got a lot easier with Qantas announcing direct flights from Melbourne to Haneda Airport.
Jetstar 787-8 Gold Coast–Seoul flight and business class review
Fantastic service and a smooth and easy journey is what I received on the inaugural Gold Coast–Seoul flight.
Ask an Expert