Need cover for domestic trips? Find out if Dodo Domestic Travel Insurance has the benefits you're after.
No matter where you’re travelling in the world, having at least some form of travel insurance in place is crucial. Even if you’re staying within Australia, a wide range of travel risks can still wreak havoc on your finances, including everything from lost or stolen luggage to delayed flights.
Dodo Domestic Travel Insurance provides several benefits to guarantee peace of mind and financial protection for your next holiday within Australia.
What's covered by Dodo for domestic trips?
- Cancellation and amendment fees. If an unforeseen event forces you to cancel your trip, for example if a relative dies unexpectedly, you will receive cover for any non-refundable deposits and bookings.
- Cutting short your trip. When unexpected circumstances beyond your control force you to return home earlier than planned, Dodo Domestic Travel Insurance includes cover for your non-refundable travel, accommodation and meal expenses that you have already paid for.
- Additional expenses. When you need to return home earlier than planned, for example if you are medically unfit to continue your journey, Dodo will cover the additional accommodation, meals and travelling expenses you incur as a result.
- Travel delay expenses. If your final departure or return home is delayed due to poor weather conditions, a strike, industrial action or mechanical breakdown, the policy will pay a benefit relative to the period of time you are delayed.
- Luggage and personal effects. If your luggage or personal effects are lost, stolen or damaged while you’re on holiday, Dodo provides cover for the cost of their repair or replacement.
- Delayed luggage allowance. If an airline misdirects or misplaces your luggage, you’ll receive an allowance to help you purchase emergency essentials.
- Theft of cash. Dodo Domestic Travel Insurance provides cover for lost or stolen money during your trip.
- Personal liability. Up to $1.5 million cover is provided for your legal liability if you accidentally damage someone else’s property or cause them bodily injury during your trip.
- Rental car insurance excess. If your rental vehicle is maliciously damaged, stolen or involved in a collision, this benefit provides cover for the insurance excess you will have to pay to the rental company.
- Alternative transport expenses. If your scheduled transport is delayed, diverted or cancelled, Dodo Domestic Travel Insurance includes cover for the alternative transport expenses you make to get to a pre-arranged special event on time. For example, you may need to get to a business conference or a wedding.
- Personal accident. You will be eligible to receive a lump sum benefit if you suffer an injury during your trip that causes a disability.
What am I not covered for?
You are not covered:
- Overseas travel. As a domestic policy, Dodo Domestic Travel Insurance only provides cover for travel within Australia.
- Medical expenses. It also does not provide any cover for medical expenses you incur during your journey, as these should be covered by Medicare and/or your private health insurance.
Some exclusions to be aware of:
In addition, your Dodo Domestic Travel Insurance claim will not be paid if:
- It is caused by a pre-existing medical condition
- It is caused by the suicide or attempted suicide of you or your travelling companion
- It arises due to the consumption of alcohol or drugs, except drugs taken as prescribed by a medical practitioner
- It arises due to errors or omissions in your booking arrangements
- It arises because you ride a motorcycle without a valid licence
- It is caused by the financial default of a travel services provider
- It arises because of riots, blockades, strikes or industrial action (except those which were not public knowledge when you booked your trip)
- It is for consequential loss of any kind
- It arises because you participate in manual labour or compete in professional sports
- It arises because you were involved in any malicious, deliberate, criminal or illegal act
- It arises because a government authority seizes, withholds or destroys anything
- You fail to follow instructions or advice from the insurer
The following additional options are available with Dodo Domestic Travel Insurance for an added cost:
- Halve or waive your excess. You can reduce the standard excess that applies to your policy, or even waive the excess altogether, if you are willing to pay an additional premium.
- Additional specified items cover. If you want cover for an item valued at greater than $750, you can apply for additional specified items cover as part of your Dodo policy. You can increase the sum insured up to $4,000 for a single item, or up to a combined total of $6,000 for multiple items.
- Snow sports cover. If you’re planning a trip to the snow, this option provides cover for snow sports equipment and hire, lift passes, ski pack, piste closure and avalanche.
If you need to make a claim on your Dodo Domestic Travel Insurance policy, you must register your claim with the insurer within 30 days of finishing your trip. You will be sent a claims form which you can fill out and return to Dodo as quickly as possible to ensure fast processing of your claim.
You will also need to provide the following:
- Original copies of any receipts and invoices detailing your loss or expenses
- Your certificate of insurance
- Any other information required by the insurer. This information must be in English or have been translated into English