Is Dodo Comprehensive Travel Insurance suitable for my travel needs? Find out what's offered.
If you’re planning an overseas holiday, one of the first things you should pack is the right travel insurance policy. Dodo Insurance offers a range of travel insurance covers to suit travellers on a wide range of budgets, and its Comprehensive policy is designed to offer high-level peace of mind to Australian travellers. From overseas medical expenses to cancellation fees, lost and stolen luggage and much more, it offers protection against an extensive range of travel risks.
Compare Comprehensive Travel Insurance Policies from Dodo
What does Dodo Comprehensive Travel Insurance Cover?
- Cancellation and amendment fees. If you are forced to cancel your trip due to unforeseen circumstances beyond your control, for example the death of a relative or being made redundant, you’ll be reimbursed for the non-refundable travel, accommodation and meals expenses you have already paid for.
- Overseas hospital and medical expenses. Dodo Comprehensive Travel Insurance provides unlimited cover for the emergency medical and hospital costs you incur while overseas. This includes emergency medical, surgical and hospital treatment and ambulance costs, plus your medically necessary return to Australia.
- Hospital cash allowance. You’ll receive a daily cash allowance if you are hospitalised as an inpatient overseas following a covered incident.
- Cutting short your trip. If you need to return home to Australia earlier than planned, for example if you are medically unfit to travel or a relative in Australia dies suddenly, Dodo Comprehensive Travel Insurance will cover your non-refundable pre-paid travel and accommodation expenses.
- Additional expenses. Under this benefit, cover is provided for the additional meals, accommodation and travelling expenses you incur if your trip is disrupted or you are required to return home to Australia, for example following the unexpected death of a relative.
- Travel delay expenses. If your final international departure from or returning to Australia is delayed by circumstances beyond your control, such as poor weather conditions or a strike, cover is provided for your additional accommodation and meals costs.
- Luggage and personal effects. If your luggage or personal items are lost, stolen or damaged on your trip, Dodo Comprehensive Travel Insurance covers the cost of their repair or replacement.
- Delayed luggage allowance. If an airline misplaces or misdirects your luggage, you’ll receive an allowance to buy emergency items like clothing and toiletries.
- Travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques. You’ll receive cover for replacement costs when any of these items are lost or stolen during your journey.
- Theft of cash. Dodo Comprehensive Travel Insurance provides cover for cash stolen from your person during your trip.
- Personal liability. This benefit ensures that you are covered if you cause bodily injury to someone else or damage their property during your journey.
- Rental car insurance excess. If your rental car is stolen, damaged or involved in a collision, this benefit covers the rental company’s insurance excess.
- Alternative transport expenses. This benefit covers the additional travel expenses you incur to reach a pre-planned event such as a wedding or funeral if your scheduled transport is cancelled, delayed, shortened or diverted.
- Personal accident. A lump sum benefit is payable if you’re involved in an accident on your trip that results in quadriplegia, paraplegia, loss of sight or the loss of the use of limbs.
What isn’t covered?
Your Dodo Comprehensive Travel Insurance claim will not be paid if:
- It arises due to a pre-existing condition.
- It is caused by your (or your travelling companion’s) suicide or attempted suicide.
- It arises due to the consumption of alcohol or drugs (unless taken as prescribed by a medical practitioner).
- It arises due to war, insurrection or revolution.
- It is caused by strikes or industrial action (except those which were not public knowledge when you booked your trip).
- It arises because you travel to a country on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s “Do Not Travel” list.
- It arises because you ride a motorcycle without holding a valid licence.
- It arises because you participate in manual labour, missionary work or professional sport.
- It arises because you fail to get the vaccinations or inoculations needed to travel.
- It arises due to the financial default of a travel provider.
- It results due to errors or omissions in your booking arrangements.
Any additional cover?
The following additional cover options are available for an extra cost:
- Reduce your excess. If you choose a higher excess amount, you can enjoy lower premiums. Alternatively, you can opt to waive your excess entirely and pay higher premiums.
- Snow sports cover. Dodo Comprehensive Travel Insurance offers a snow sports cover option which includes cover for snow sports equipment, equipment hire, lift pass, ski pack, piste closure and avalanche cover.
- Additional specified items cover. If you want to insure personal items valued at more than $750, you can pay an extra premium to increase the level of cover for that item. The maximum sum insured available is $4,000 for a single item, and a combined total of up to $6,000.
How do I claim?
If you want to make a claim on your Dodo Comprehensive Travel Insurance policy, it’s essential that you notify the insurer within 30 days of completing your journey. Once you contact Dodo Insurance, you will be sent a claim form which you must complete and return to the insurer.
You also need to provide:
- Original invoices and receipts relating to your loss or the expenses you are claiming
- Your insurance certificate
- Any other information the insurer requires in English (or translated into English) to process your claim
Who is the underwriter of Dodo Comprehensive Travel Insurance?
The policy is underwritten by Auto & General Insurance Company Limited.
Who can take out cover?
Dodo Comprehensive Travel Insurance is available to applicants aged between 18 and 100 years.
What about my kids?
Financially dependent children and grandchildren who are under the age of 18 and also travelling with you can be covered under your policy.
Is there a cooling-off period?
Yes, a 14-day cooling-off period applies to Dodo Comprehensive Travel Insurance. If you cancel your policy during this time you will receive a full refund.
What if I’m a frequent traveller?
Instead of purchasing a separate insurance policy for each trip, you might want to consider the benefits of taking out annual multi-trip insurance from Dodo.
Is there a limit on the cover provided for cancellation and amendment fees?
Yes. Dodo Comprehensive Travel Insurance provides $12,500 cover for cancellation and amendment fees.
How much cover is provided for overseas medical and hospital expenses?
This policy provides unlimited cover for your overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses.
How do I purchase a policy?
You can buy cover online through Dodo’s website or phone the insurer directly.
What is the excess I will have to pay if I make a claim?
A standard excess of $200 applies, though you can reduce this excess amount if you’re willing to pay higher premiums.