Do you travel overseas more than once a year? Consider a multi trip policy from Dodo.
If you’re a frequent traveller, taking out a separate travel insurance policy for each trip you take can be expensive. To help make cover more affordable, many travel insurers offer annual multi-trip policies. These policies provide cover for all the journeys you take in a 12-month period and if you take more than two holidays a year, are usually more affordable than taking out a single-trip policy for each holiday.
One such policy is Dodo Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance. Providing cover for unlimited trips during any 12-month period, the policy pays benefits on a wide range of insured events and circumstances, providing maximum peace of mind when you’re away from home.
Underwritten by Auto & General Insurance Company Limited, the policy is backed by Dodo’s worldwide emergency assistance hotline 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Read on to find out exactly what the policy covers and whether it could be right for you.
What Does the Dodo Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance Policy Cover?
- Cancellation and amendment fees. If you are forced to cancel your trip before you depart due to circumstances beyond your control, for example if you are made redundant or if you suffer an unexpected serious illness, Dodo Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance will cover the cost of the cancellation fees you are charged any non-refundable deposits you have paid.
- Overseas medical and hospital expenses. Dodo provides unlimited cover when you experience a medical emergency while overseas. This includes cover for your emergency medical, surgical and hospital treatment and ambulance costs, as well as your return to Australia if medically necessary. Cover is also included for the cost of returning your body or ashes to Australia.
- Hospital cash allowance. If you are hospitalised as an inpatient overseas following a covered accident or illness, Dodo pays a daily hospital cash allowance of $75. This money can be used to help cover extra expenses such as taxi fares and phone calls.
- Cutting short your trip. This benefit provides cover if you need to return to Australia earlier than planned, for example if you are medically unfit to continue your journey or a relative dies unexpectedly. In these situations, Dodo Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance covers your unrecoverable pre-paid travel, accommodation and meal expenses.
- Additional expenses. If you have to return home to Australia earlier than planned due to circumstances beyond your control, this benefit ensures that the additional accommodation, meal and travel expenses you incur as a result will be covered.
- Resumption of journey. If, after an event covered under the Cutting short your trip benefit, you plan to resume your journey within 60 days, Dodo covers the cost of your airfare to return to your previous destination.
- Travel delay expenses. If your final international departure from or return to Australia is delayed due to poor weather conditions, a strike, industrial action or mechanical breakdown, Dodo provides cover.
- Luggage and personal effects. When your luggage or personal effects are lost, stolen or damaged during your trip, Dodo covers the cost of their repair or replacement.
- Delayed luggage allowance. If an airline misplaces or misdirects your luggage, Dodo Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance includes a cash allowance so that you can purchase emergency items, for example toiletries and a change of clothes.
- Travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques. When these items are lost or stolen during your journey, Dodo covers the cost of their replacement.
- Theft of cash. This benefit provides cover when your personal money is lost or stolen during your journey.
- Personal liability. Up to $5 million of personal liability cover is included in the policy. This ensures that you are financially protected if you are legally liable for causing bodily injury to someone else or third-party property damage during your trip.
- Rental car insurance excess. If your rental car is stolen, maliciously damaged or involved in a collision, Dodo provides cover for the insurance excess charged by the rental company.
- Loss of income. If you’re disabled as a result of an accidental injury suffered overseas and are unable to go back to work when you return to Australia, Dodo Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance provides cover for the resulting loss of income.
- Alternative transport expenses. If your scheduled transport is cancelled, delayed or diverted and this is going to stop you getting to a special event on time (wedding, business conference etc.), Dodo provides cover for the alternative transport expenses you incur.
- Personal accident. Lump sum benefits are payable if you suffer an injury during your trip that leads to a disability, for example the loss of limbs or sight.
- Hijack. This benefit provides cover if the aircraft or boat you are travelling on is hijacked for more than a specific period of time.
- Pet care. This benefit provides cover for additional boarding kennel or cattery fees when your final return home is delayed by more than 24 hours due to poor weather conditions, a strike, industrial action or mechanical breakdown.
What isn’t covered?
Dodo will not pay your Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance claim if:
- It arises due to a pre-existing medical condition.
- It is caused by your or your travelling companion’s suicide or attempted suicide.
- It arises due to you or your travelling companion consuming alcohol or drugs, except drugs taken as prescribed by a medical practitioner.
- It is caused by war, revolution or insurrection.
- It arises due to civil riots, blockades, strikes or industrial action (except those which were not public knowledge when you booked your trip).
- It arises because you travel to or through a country on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s “Do Not Travel” list.
- It arises because you ride a motorcycle without a valid licence.
- It is for consequential loss of any kind, for example loss of enjoyment.
- It arises because you are involved in any deliberate, malicious, reckless, illegal or criminal act.
- It arises because you take part in manual labour, humanitarian work or missionary work.
- It arises because you participate in professional sport or any form of racing on foot.
- It arises because you do not have the correct inoculations or vaccinations needed to travel.
- You fail to follow the advice or instructions of the insurer.
- It arises from a government authority seizing, withholding or destroying anything of yours.
- It arises due to the financial default of a travel services provider.
- It is caused by a tour being cancelled due to insufficient numbers.
- It arises due to errors or omissions in your booking arrangements.
Any additional cover?
The following cover options can be added to your Dodo policy for an additional cost:
- Reduce your excess. You can reduce the standard excess payable when you make a claim by paying an additional premium. For an even higher premium, you can eliminate the excess altogether.
- Additional specified items cover. If you’re taking an item valued at greater than $750 on your trip, you can apply for additional specified items cover for that item. You can increase the sum insured up to $4,000 for a single item, and up to a combined total of $6,000 for multiple items.
- Snow sports cover. If you’re planning a holiday to the snow, this package includes cover for snow sports equipment and hire, lift passes, ski pack, piste closure and avalanche.
How do I claim?
If you need to make a claim on your Dodo Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance policy, you need to register your claim within 30 days of your return to Australia. Dodo will then send you a claim form which you will need to fill out, sign and return to the insurer.
You will also need to provide:
- Original receipts and invoices detailing your loss or expenses.
- Your certificate of insurance.
- Any other information or documentation the insurer requires in English (or translated into English)
If you’re a regular traveller, Dodo Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance is well worth a look. It provides a wide range of benefits to help you travel with confidence and peace of mind, so compare it with similar policies on finder.com.au today.