Review the 3 hospital cover options Doctors' Health Fund offers medical professionals and find cover tailored to your needs.
Doctors’ Health Fund is a private health fund that covers medical professionals, students and families. Unsurprisingly, it delivers an exceptional level of hospital cover. You can join if you are one of the following:
- A registered medical practitioner
- A registered health practitioner in a specified category
- A person studying to become a medical or health practitioner
- An overseas doctor who is registered for the AMC exams
- An employee of a medical or health practitioner, or an employee of an incorporated medical or health practitioner practice
- Employed in any role by a federal or state Australian Medical Association (AMA) or by an associated or subsidiary organisation
- An officer, employee or contractor of Avant Insurance Limited or Avant Law Pty Limited
- An eligible family member of any of the above
Doctors’ Health Fund hospital cover plans
There are three standalone hospital plans:
- Smart Starter. This is the most affordable level and it focuses on the essentials. It covers private hospital, private patient and day facility accommodation, including access gap cover. This level has a range of restricted benefits and exclusions.
- Prime Choice. This is mid-level cover and covers private hospital, private patient and private day facility accommodation. It covers all Medicare services, as well as PBS and non-PBS medications, and includes access gap cover.
- Top Cover. This is a unique high-level policy that pays up to the AMA fees list instead of in line with Medicare benefits. There are no exclusions, restrictions or excess on any service where Medicare pays a benefit. You’re also covered under the gap scheme regardless of whether your doctor opts in.
|Smart Starter||Prime Choice||Top Cover|
|Gap Cover||Access Gap||Access Gap||AMA Gap|
|Excess options||$500||$0 or $500||None|
|No waiting period accident cover|
|Ambulance cover (emergency, patient transfer and attendance on scene)|
|Pregnancy related (including assisted reproductive services, sterilisation and reversal, and labour ward costs)|
|Theatre services and costs|
|Hip and knee replacements and revisions|
|Cataract and glaucoma|
|Dialysis for chronic renal failure||Restricted|
|Gastric banding and obesity surgery|
|Hearing loss related|
|Spinal surgery not related to an accident|
|All other Medicare services|
The limitations and exclusions of each
Each type of cover has different limitations and restrictions. In all cases, you are only fully covered at contract hospitals.
The only exclusions are those specified in the table above. Restricted benefits limit you to cover as a private patient in a public hospital, and apply to the following:
- Cardiothoracic surgery.
- Dialysis for chronic renal failure.
- Rehab services following cardiothoracic surgery, hip and knee replacements and revisions and psychiatric treatment.
- With psychiatric treatment, you are entitled to up to 10 days per annum in a private hospital.
The $500 excess is the annual maximum for singles cover, while a $500 excess per hospital visit also applies to couples and family policies, up to $1,000 per annum.
There are no excluded services, but benefit restrictions apply to non-Medicare services, such as purely cosmetic surgery. You may only claim the accommodation costs and not the medical expenses.
As with Prime Choice no exclusions apply, but you are restricted to only accommodation benefits for non-Medicare services.
The applicable waiting periods are as follows:
- None for accidents
- 12 months for pre-existing conditions and obstetrics
- 2 months for everything else, even pre-existing condition-related palliative care, rehabilitation and psychiatric treatment
Waiting periods already served with other funds will transfer over as will the balance of waiting periods yet to be completed unless the service wasn’t covered under your old policy or was covered to a lesser extent.
4 benefits to joining the Doctors’ Health Fund
- The two most outstanding features of the Doctors’ Health Fund are that the Top level policy pays up to Australian Medical Association benefits, and that even with the most basic policy, you are not limited to the MBS gap and still get access gap cover. In addition, the policies also cover you for stays at contract day facilities.
- According to the private health insurance administrative council, the access gap scheme has a record of paying benefits on over 92% of medical services, with almost 88% having no out-of-pocket expenses at all, significantly outperforming large private health funds.
- The unique Top Cover policy exceeds this and doesn’t require you to find a practitioner that participates in the access gap scheme. Benefits are paid to either cover the bill or up to the AMA List fees. Simply request that the doctor submit the bill directly to Doctors’ Health Fund instead of Medicare.
- As an added bonus, you can also get quick access to expert specialists over the phone through Doctors’ Health Fund to better manage your health and your treatments.