Who can be covered by Doctors’ Health fund?
Doctors’ Health Fund (DHF) is a private health fund specifically for medical professionals, students and their families.
You can join if you are one of the following:
- A registered medical practitioner
- A registered health practitioner in a specified category
- A person studying to become a medical or health practitioner
- An overseas doctor who has registered for the AMC exams
- An employee of a medical or health practitioner, or an employee of an incorporated medical or health practitioner practice
- Employed in any role by a federal or state Australian Medical Association (AMA) or by an associated or subsidiary organisation
- An officer, employee or contractor of Avant Insurance Limited or Avant Law Pty Limited
- An eligible family member of any of the above
Who qualifies as a health practitioner?
To qualify as a health practitioner you must be a registered in any of the following areas:
- Medical radiation (diagnostic radiographer, medical imaging technologist, radiographer, nuclear medicine scientist, nuclear medicine technologist or radiation therapist)
- Dental (dentist, dental therapist, dental hygienist, dental prosthetist or oral health therapist)
- Occupational therapy
Are family members eligible?
The following family members can be included:
- Spouse or partner (including former spouses or partners)
- Dependent children
- Adult children, including those of a spouse or partner
- Siblings, including those of a spouse or partner
- Nieces and nephews
- Grandchildren, including those of a spouse or partner
How can I combine hospital and extras cover?
Although Doctors’ Health Fund does not offer any combined packages, if you take out Smart Starter hospital cover, you can add an exclusive basic extras cover. Essentially, building your own combined bundle.
If you only want the affordable basic extras from Doctors’ Health Fund - it has to be purchased with the basic hospital cover. This entry-level combination offers affordable health insurance for younger people who may not want to pay for a higher level of coverage.
If you’re interested, learn more about the DHF hospital and extras cover, and look at the options.