Disney announces a new trio of cruise ships
Two is good, three is better.
The Disney cruise fleet, currently consisting of four vessels, will be welcoming some new family members before long. The initial plan was for two new ships, but the House-of-Mouse has decided to upsize instead, signing off on an immense deal for a trio of brand new cruise ships with German shipyard Meyer Werft.
Now the first new addition will be setting sail in 2021, followed by another each year until 2023.
Ship name, design plans and itineraries are still under development, and some changes are expected to make sure they're state-of-the-art by the time they hit the water. However, some features have been locked in:
- 135,000 tonnes, 1,250 staterooms: Slightly heftier than the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy, the current biggest and newest ships in the fleet.
- Liquefied natural gas power: Cleaner, greener and the current state-of-the-art for cruisers, being gradually phased into existing ships.
A Star Wars deck? A Frozen ice rink?
Each ship will have its own unique itinerary and the reason it's all under wraps is probably because a lot of it simply doesn't exist yet. All the ships in Disney's fleet have been upgraded since 2013 to incorporate the latest features, such as the Disney Fantasy which came out of dry dock in May to reveal new Star Wars and Marvel superhero spaces, to better showcase the brand's top acquisitions.
With Captain Mickey's current fleet of four ships almost doubling to seven, you're probably going to see a lot of them down in Australia. It could be better way of making your way to Disney World, or other places like Disneyland.
2021 is still a ways off though, and you definitely don't need to wait that long to pick up a Disney Cruise from Australia.
- This P&O 5-day flash sale is just what we’ve been waiting for
- Kids sail for free with the latest P&O Cruises sale
- Get the best views at sea with Royal Caribbean’s Balcony Upgrade sale
- Royal Caribbean Australia Day sale has up to 40% off guests
- The Australian Open 2021 is one sail away with P&O Cruises
Follow us for all the latest deals and coupon codes