Separate the good and the bad when it comes to diet pills.
The rate of obesity in Australia is growing faster than the rest of the world. New reports issued in 2014 show that 25% of Australian children and 63% of adults are now overweight. To try and combat this, Australians are spending billions of dollars annually at different methods of losing weight. Those that profit from this trend are gyms, personal trainers, weight loss counsellors and companies which manufacture and sell weight loss pills.
The best or most effective weight loss pills
At close to $300 million now, it has been forecasted that spending on weight loss products like diet pills is going to increase by over $25 million in the next four years. New products and brands are being introduced to the public continually, yet not all are created equal. To start, a consumer should examine the types of weight loss pills available and determine which one, if any, will be effective for them.
- Thermogenic fat burners. This type of diet pill works by increasing the body’s metabolism in order to burn more calories even when the body is at rest. By burning more calories, fat stores are used in order to create the fuel needed, leading to a loss of weight.
- Appetite suppressants. Appetite suppressants for weight loss work by fooling the brain into believing that the stomach is full. Neurotransmitters are sent to the brain when your appetite has been satisfied. This type of pill increases the number of those neurotransmitters allowing the user to consume less calories but still feel full.
- Absorption interference. These diet remedies work in the small and large intestine to control the amount of calories and fat that is being absorbed into the body.
Before you begin using any of these types of diet pills to lose weight, it is important that you first discuss your health needs with your physician. Some of these weight loss pills have side effects that could be worse for people with certain conditions. For example:
- Fat burners. Thermogenic burners can increase blood pressure and heart rate, leading to heart problems. An individual who is already at risk for hypertension or being treated for it will be advised to avoid these weight loss products.
- Appetite suppressants. One of the most sought after appetite suppressants in Australia is Duromine, which is available only with a physician’s prescription. Not only do these pills have the ability to raise blood pressure, users have complained of nausea and headaches, insomnia, chest pain and difficulty in breathing.
- Absorption control. With products that inhibit calories and fat from passing into the body, many vital nutrients are also lost. Without essential vitamins and minerals entering the bloodstream, users of this type of diet aid can become malnourished and weak. Continued use could lead to the loss of function in some of the body’s internal organs.
Garcinia cambogia is a popular ingredient in a large number of weight loss products being sold in Australia. Derived from the rind of a tropical fruit, this supplement has been shown to have some positive effect in controlling appetite and reducing the body’s ability to turn sugars and carbohydrates into fat. Being an all natural product there are few reported instances of adverse side effects unless it is taken in large doses.
Consumers should be aware that the ingredient garcinia is often combined with others to be sold as a diet supplement. Those additional compounds should be investigated first as they could be harmful to your health.
Despite it being a natural product, you should still speak to your doctor first before adding garcinia to your diet. Diabetics who are taking blood sugar control medications may find that the extract causes a significant loss in glucose. Patients who are taking medications to control cholesterol should also avoid adding garcinia to their diet.Back to top
Are diet pills dangerous and misleading?
There are diet pills available on the market that are safe to use. You should however always check the labels first and speak with a healthcare professional about the potential side effects before taking them.
The effectiveness of these products varies and is often dependent on the way in which they are used. Supplements also work differently depending on the individual, so what may work for one might not be effective for someone else.
Be wary of labels that are promising unrealistic results. Some companies do attempt to mislead consumers with statements of the products effectiveness that are not correct. If what the product claims seems too good to be true there is a good chance that it is not as effective as they would like you to believe.Back to top
How to get the most benefit from weight loss products
Start by examining why you are overweight. This will help you decide what type of diet pill will be most effective for you. There are two main factors that are contributing to obesity in Australians:
- Overeating. Compulsive eating is one of the main contributing factors to obesity in Australia. Eating out of boredom or to ease depression can lead to food binges. This type of binging usually involves food that is high in fat and calories, causing unhealthy weight gain.
If you believe that overeating is the cause for your obesity, speak with your physician about an appetite suppressant. Just keep in mind that if your overeating is being caused by other factors such as depression, you may not be able to control it until you receive treatment for that.
There are natural solutions for overeating as well, such as drinking water before you eat or adding fiber to your diet. The water will help you to feel full faster, and foods that are high in fiber take longer to break down, making you feel full longer. Whole grains, fruits and vegetables are all excellent sources of natural fiber that will help you control feelings of hunger.
- An inactive lifestyle. One of the key elements in controlling weight gain is keeping your metabolism at a level where it is using the calories consumed for energy. If you are spending much of your time watching television or on the computer, your metabolism is low and calories are being converted into fat stores. If this is what you believe is causing your weight gain, you will want a thermogenic burner for your weight loss product.
To maintain weight there needs to be a perfect balance between how many calories you consume, and how many you burn daily. Increasing metabolism is as easy as exercising daily, even if just going for a walk. Diet pills that increase metabolism help in keeping that level high throughout the entire day. This encourages weight loss as your body will now need more energy than what you consume and start burning excess fat to get it.Back to top
How do I get the best results in losing weight?
Studies continue to show that the best weight loss results come from a change in lifestyle either alone or in combination with a natural weight loss ingredient such as garcinia. Changing the diet to one that is nutrient packed yet low in fat and calories is a good start. This should be accompanied with regular exercise that naturally increases the body’s metabolism and encourages the burning of fat stores.
Not only will adopting a healthy lifestyle help you to lose weight, it will help you to keep it off. Once you have adjusted to a lower fat diet with fewer calories, it becomes easier to continue with, even when the excess pounds have been lost. When you reach that point, you should no longer need diet supplements to help you control your weight.