We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
As Australia's highest alpine resort, Mt Hotham is paradise for skiers and snowboarders seeking a powder-filled adventure, particularly as it boasts 320 hectares of skiable terrain and mountain views of the Victorian Alps that are destined to take your breath away.
To get you on the front foot of your trip, we've laid out everything you need to know about Mount Hotham – from the best deals on accommodation right on top of the mountain to where to buy lift passes.
Resort information and trail maps
- Season: Will consider reopening after 19 August when restrictions are lifted
- Distance from Sydney: 8 hours
- Distance from Melbourne: 4.5 hours
- Number of chair lifts: 13
- Number of magic carpets: 2
- Chair lift opening hours: Most open at 8:30am and close between 4 and 5pm. During peak season, if weather conditions permit, the Heavenly Valley (peak) lift opens at 7:30am.
Multi-day and annual passes are both available for Mount Hotham. Your pass comes in the form of a reusable RFID-enabled card that you can reload with more days either during your stay or on future trips.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, only skiers and snowboarders with pre-purchased passes and lift tickets may access the resorts this year. There will be no on-the-day tickets. Social distancing is also in place.
The 2020 Epic Australia Pass, which is a full season pass that gives you access to Perisher, Falls Creek and Hotham, now includes Epic Coverage. It's on sale until 5 July 2020. Prices are $889 for adults, $499 for students and $685 for students.
Otherwise, single and multi-day passes are available to purchase. Prices start at $155 per day for adults, $87 for children and $93 for seniors.
Mount Hotham weather
The snow season in Mount Hotham generally runs from mid-June to early October. This gives you plenty of time to get to the slopes.
You can keep up to date with the weather and snowfall by downloading the Hotham app here.
There's everything from chalets on the top of Mt Hotham with ski-in/ski-out to family-friendly cabins in the nearby town of Dinner Plain to stay in.
We've outlined some of the best accommodation on Mt Hotham based on customer reviews on HotelsCombined. For more options, including cheap stays and pet-friendly accommodation, visit our Mount Hotham accommmodation guide.
How to get to Mount Hotham
- By air: Mount Hotham Airport is a 30-minute drive from the ski resort. It's a regional airport with services to and from Lilydale, Essendon, Moorabbin, Albury, Canberra and Sydney.
- By car: Mount Hotham is approximately 4.5 hours from Melbourne CBD and 8 hours from Sydney. If you're travelling by car, you'll be subject to a resort entry fee, which you can purchase online or pay for when you arrive. When driving during winter, it's mandatory for you to carry snow chains.
- By public bus: Omeo-Bright Alps Link is a government bus service that runs from Bright to Omeo via Harrietville, Mount Hotham, Dinner Plain and Cobungra. It operates on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.
- By coach: Various coach companies that offer transport from Melbourne Airport, Melbourne CBD, Albury, Adelaide, Harrietville and Sydney to Mt Hotham village and Dinner Plain. Brands include Alpine Spirit Snowball Express, Hotham Bus and Alpine Spirit Coaches.
Equipment hire facilities abound in Mt Hotham and in neighbouring townships such as Dinner Plain. These allow you to rent skis, poles, binders, snowboards and boots as well as gear such as helmets, goggles, snow pants and snow jackets.
Many rental companies give you the option to pre-purchase or pre-book your equipment and gear online. This ensures they'll have items saved for you when you arrive, which is recommended during peak season when certain items may sell out.
You'll still have to arrive with ample time to be fitted for all your equipment and gear.
Popular rental companies in Mt Hotham and a sample of their prices for adult hires are below.
- Hotham Sports: Located in Dinner Plain, Hotham Central and The Big D. 2020 prices TBC.
- Happy Valley Hub: Located in Ovens. Skis, boots and poles or snowboard and boots start from $66 per day.
- Alpine Heights Ski & Board Rentals: Located in Hotham. Skis, boots and poles or snowboard and boots start from $70 per day.
- Omeo Ski Hire and Service Station: Located in Omeo. Skis, boots and poles or snowboard and boots start from $66 per day.
- Hoys Dinner Plain: Located in Dinner Plain. Skis, boots and poles or snowboard and boots start from $61 per day.
Ski travel insurance
While you might be travelling domestically, you can still insure yourself for incidental costs should they occur. This includes the loss or damage of equipment, including rental equipment, as well as lift passes if you happen to fall ill while on the slopes and can't make the most of your trip. You can learn more here.