Are you a Defence Health member? Find out more about the insurance options available to you.
Defence Health Limited is a not-for-profit health fund that has been providing Australian Defence Force families with value-for-money health cover for more than 60 years. It has over 260,000 members and membership is open to the partners and families of serving and ex-serving ADF members and supporters (suppliers).
Other types of cover available
As well as hospital and extras cover for its members, Defence Health offers access to other insurance including travel insurance and life insurance.
Defence Health travel insurance is underwritten by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited (Allianz) and provides flexible cover for both international and domestic travel.
- Comprehensive. Cover includes unlimited overseas medical and hospital expenses, rental vehicle excess cover, unlimited cancellation fees and lost deposits, lost or stolen luggage, emergency expenses, resumption of trip, accidental death, public liability and access to 24-hour emergency assistance.
- Domestic. Domestic cover includes lost or stolen luggage, rental vehicle excess, cancellation fees and lost deposits, emergency expenses, accidental death and public liability.
- Multi-trip. Cost-effective insurance for the business traveller, it covers an unlimited number of trips with up to 45 days duration for any one trip.
Specialty activity packs
- Snow Pack. Covers emergency rescue, own equipment, equipment hire, piste closure, bad weather and avalanche closure.
- Golf Pack. Cover for own golf equipment, golf equipment hire and pre-paid green fees.
- Cruise Pack. Covers medical treatment, evacuation ship to shore, cabin confinement, pre-paid excursion cancellation and formal attire.
- Adventure Pack. Covers a big range of sports and activities including abseiling, caving, diving to 30 metres, hiking up to 6,000 metres, martial arts, sailing up to 15 nautical miles and tandem skydiving.
Defence Health has partnered with ClearView LifeSolutions to provide an extensive range of tailored insurance, including:
- Life Cover. Provides a lump sum benefit in the event of death or terminal illness.
- Trauma Cover. Provides a benefit if you suffer one of 44 specified trauma conditions.
- Accidental Death Cover. Provides a benefit to your family if you die as a result of an accident.
- Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Cover. Provides a benefit if you become totally and permanently disabled and unable to work again.
- Accidental Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Cover. Provides a benefit if you become totally and permanently disabled as a result of an accident and are unable to work again.
- Child Cover. Provides a benefit if your child suffers a specified trauma condition, becomes terminally ill or dies.
- Parent Cover. Provides a benefit if your parent dies to help cover the cost of their funeral.
- Income Protection Cover. Provides an ongoing monthly benefit if you are totally or partially disabled as a result of sickness or injury and are unable to work at full capacity.
- Income Protection Plus Cover. Provides additional benefits and features to Income Protection Cover.
- Accidental Income Protection Cover. Offers all the benefits of Income Protection Cover, if you are totally or partially disabled as a result of an accident and unable to work at full capacity.
- Business Expense Cover. Provides an ongoing monthly benefit if as a business owner, you are totally or partially disabled as a result of sickness or injury and unable to work at full capacity.
What are the benefits of Defence Health?
Because Defence Health is a not-for-profit fund, it gives more back to members in benefits and focuses on keeping premiums as low as possible. And because it is entirely member-focused, it has won awards for its outstanding customer service and is consistently in the top rankings of independent customer satisfaction surveys.
Some of the benefits Defence Health members enjoy include:
- National pricing on ADF packages
- The ability to suspend your cover if you’re posted
- Kids only policies
- No excess for kids
- Flexible extras limits to maximise value
- Access Gap to reduce your out-of-pocket expenses
- Access to an extensive hospital network