New Death Note teaser offers a closer look at Ryuk
Willem Dafoe's Ryuk pulls the strings in Netflix's latest trailer.
Netflix is making a living out of fulfilling the wishes of comic, manga and video game fans, with a Castlevania TV series released, a The Umbrella Academy TV show in the works, a Witcher series in development and an (admittedly controversial) Death Note movie on the horizon.
Every Death Note fan knows that the real star of the movie is going to be the wisecracking, apple-eating Shinigami, Ryuk, but until now he's been but a blur in the background of previous trailers.
Thankfully, the latest trailer straight out of Comic Con has given us a closer look at the creepy little bugger. It's still not the clearest depiction of Ryuk, but it's definitely getting closer.
It is kind of worrying that Netflix keeps insisting on obscuring the towering demon. It could well be a matter of building anticipation for the character's full reveal, but there's also the worry that the CGI Ryuk just won't be up to scratch. But again, that concern could be totally misplaced, because what we've seen looks spot on and I honestly couldn't think of anyone more fit for the role of an apple-addicted death god than Willem Dafoe.
Death Note will be released on Netflix Australia on 25 August 2017.
Check out what else Netflix has to offer in Australia while you wait.
- Where to watch Riverdale Season 3 online in Australia
- Netflix Australia vs Prime Video: Price, content and features compared
- Stan is giving eBay Plus subscribers 3 months free access to its movie and TV library
- This week in streaming: Netflix brings back Wilson Fisk and Supergirl swoops back onto Foxtel
- Gem Finder: Starring Jim Carrey, Kidding is both heartbreaking and hilarious