David Jones American Express Platinum Card
Offers $450 back and a choice of Membership Rewards or Qantas Points, with a $295 annual fee.
The David Jones American Express Platinum card gives you a way to earn up to 4 Membership Rewards Points or up to 2 Qantas Points per $1 on eligible spending. Its $450 credit offer gives you ways to get extra value when you apply online by 13 July 2022 and spend $1,500 outside of David Jones in the first 3 months of being a card member.
Per $ spent
Interest free period
|Product Name||David Jones American Express Platinum Card|
|Rewards program||Membership Rewards|
|Purchase rate p.a.||20.74%|
|Interest-free period||Up to 44 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit||$2,000|
|Card type||American Express|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Available to temporary residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
- $450 credit offer
- High points earn rates of 3 points per $1 at major supermarkets and petrol stations, 4 points per $1 at David Jones and 1 point per $1 spent elsewhere
- Extended warranty and complimentary travel insurances
- Up to 4 additional cardholders at no extra cost
- Shopping perks at David Jones, including priority delivery options
- Only offers up to 44 days interest-free on purchases for this card, as opposed to most cards with 55 days
- A relatively high annual fee of $295 p.a.
|Rewards program||Membership Rewards|
|Rewards points per $ spent||1|
|Rewards points cap||Uncapped|
|Minimum monthly repayment||2.5% of the closing balance or $30, whichever is greater|
|Late payment fee||$30|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
|Number of additional cardholders||4|
Amy has been writing about personal finance for more than 13 years – including over 600 articles as a senior writer for Finder. She is also the editorial lead for Finder Green, covering sustainability across different industries. Her work has appeared in publications including Money Magazine, The Sydney Morning Herald, Financy, ABC News Australia and Equity Magazine. Amy also has a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Drama from Griffith University.
With this card, you’ll earn between 1 and 4 points per $1 spent when you choose the Membership Rewards program or between 0.5 and 2 Qantas Points per $1 if you choose Qantas Frequent Flyer. The highest earn rates are for spending with major supermarkets (Coles, Woolies etc) and petrol stations, which means you can really boost your point balance through everyday spending.
If you’re interested in this card for the benefits at David Jones, highlights include complimentary gift-wrapping, complimentary alterations on selected apparel, VIP invitations to events, priority delivery for eligible purchases and a range of interest-free payment options that vary by department. Outside of DJ’s, benefits include complimentary travel insurance, American Express lounge invitations you can use at Sydney or Melbourne airport and card purchase cover options.
How to apply
You can apply for the David Jones American Express Platinum credit card online in around 10 minutes and should get a response within 5 – 10 working days. Before you get started, make sure you meet the eligibility criteria and have all the documents and details you'll need for the application form.
- Minimum income. You must earn at least $65,000 annually.
- New cardholder. The introductory offer is only available to new card members. This means you won't be eligible if you have held any other David Jones credit card product issued by American Express in the past 18 months. You also won't be eligible if you are applying for the Customers applying for the David Jones American Express Staff Card.
- Residency. You must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or hold a current long term visa (12 months or more). Student visas are not eligible.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years old to apply.
- Credit history. You must have no history of bad debt or payment defaults. If you don't know your credit score or what's on your file, you can get a free copy of your credit report through Finder.
- Personal details. This includes your full name, residential address, email address, date of birth, driver's licence number, marital status, number of dependents and contact number.
- Employment details. You'll need to provide information on your income, current employment status, job title and employer's contact details. You may also be asked to provide details to verify this information, such as recent payslips, your latest tax assessment notice or your accountant's contact details.
- Financial details. This includes details of your savings or any other assets and investments, as well as your existing loans, cards or other debts. You will also be asked to estimate your regular household spending on essentials such as groceries and bills.
- Frequent flyer number. If you want to earn Qantas Points with this card, you'll need to select that option during the application and then provide your Qantas Frequent Flyer number. Not a member yet? Check out this guide to find out how you can join for free.
- $450 credit. Receive $450 credit when you apply as a new Amex card member by 13 July 2022, are approved and spend $1,500 or more on eligible purchases within the first 3 months from card approval. You will receive the credit to your account within 8 to 10 weeks after you've met the spend requirement.
- Rewards program. This card offers 4 Membership Rewards Points (2 Qantas Points) per $1 spent at David Jones. When spending at major supermarkets and petrol stations, you'll earn 3 reward points (1.5 Qantas Points) per $1 spent. All other eligible transactions earn you 1 reward point (0.5 Qantas Points) per $1 spent, uncapped.
- Exclusive David Jones benefits. Use this card when you shop in a David Jones department store and you can enjoy perks including complimentary gift wrapping, complimentary alterations for women's and men's apparel and complimentary priority delivery for items you buy in-store or online at davidjones.com. You can also get exclusive invites to special VIP events like the Season Launch Fashion Parades. Plus, take advantage of either 1 year interest-free with no deposit when you spend a minimum of $500 on your card in one transaction, or up to 5 years interest-free with no deposit when you spend at least $1,000 on your card in one transaction, across all departments in-store or online at David Jones. There is also a 3 Months Pay Later Option, which allows you to defer payment for purchases for 3 months when you spend $50 or more on your card in one transaction, across all departments in-store or online at David Jones.
- Redeeming points. If you opt for the Membership Rewards program, you can use your points to shop online at davidjones.com or transfer them to eight frequent flyer programs, including Asia Miles and KrisFlyer. You can also redeem points for travel, gift cards, merchandise and experiences through the Membership Rewards website. If you opt for the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, you can redeem your points for Qantas flight tickets, flight upgrades, gift cards and merchandise through the Qantas Store.
- Complimentary airport lounge passes. This card offers two complimentary invitations to the American Express Lounge at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport each year.
- Complimentary travel insurance. When you use this card to book tickets for flights you will receive complimentary travel insurance. This covers emergency medical expenses, personal liability, trip cancellation and amendment cover, as well as loss of money, documents, and baggage.
- Card purchase cover. This cover helps if an item you purchase using this card is stolen or damaged within 90 days, while buyer's advantage cover extends the manufacturer's warranty on eligible items that you pay for using this card.
- Digital wallets. If you have an eligible smartphone, you can use your David Jones Amex Platinum card to make contactless payments using your smartphone courtesy of Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Google Pay.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. The David Jones American Express Platinum charges a $295 annual fee.
- Interest rate. Outside of any promotions, this card charges an interest rate of 20.74% p.a.
- Additional cardholders. If you want to share your account with your partner or family members, the David Jones American Express Platinum offers up to 4 additional cardholders for $0 each. This can help you earn points faster but keep in mind that you'll be the one responsible for managing the account.
- Interest-free days. If you pay your balance in full, you can look forward to up to 44 interest-free days on purchases with this card.
- Security. This card offers 24/7 online fraud protection, global card support and emergency card replacement to help keep your account safe.