The David Jones American Express Platinum card gives you a way to earn up to 4 Membership Rewards Points or up to 2 Qantas Points per $1 on eligible spending.
David Jones American Express Platinum Card
- Purchase rate
- 23.99% p.a.
- Reward point per $ spent
- Annual fee
- $295 p.a.
- Interest-free on purchases
- Up to 44 days
The David Jones American Express Platinum Card is not available for new applications, following the end of the joint card partnership between American Express and David Jones in 2023. We’ve kept the details about this card online for existing customers and anyone else who is interested. You can compare the current range of Amex cards on Finder, or contact David Jones on 133 357 for details on its plans.
High earn rates of 4 points per $1 at David Jones, 3 points per $1 at major supermarkets and petrol stations and 1 point per $1 on all other eligible spending.
Exclusive David Jones benefits, including priority delivery and interest-free offers.
2 airport lounge passes per year.
Complimentary travel insurance and card purchase cover.
A relatively high $295 annual fee
Only offers up to 44 days interest-free on purchases for this card, as opposed to most cards with 55 days.
A high 23.99% p.a. interest rate on purchases
|Product Name||David Jones American Express Platinum Card - DISCONTINUED|
|Purchase rate p.a.||23.99%|
|Interest-free period||Up to 44 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit||$2,000|
|Card type||American Express|
|Available to temporary residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
|Rewards program||Membership Rewards|
|Rewards points per $ spent||1|
|Rewards points cap||Uncapped|
|Minimum monthly repayment||2.5% of the closing balance or $30, whichever is greater|
|Late payment fee||$30|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
|Number of additional cardholders||4|
How to apply
You can apply for the David Jones American Express Platinum credit card online in around 10 minutes and should get a response within 5 – 10 working days. Before you get started, make sure you meet the eligibility criteria and have all the documents and details you'll need for the application form.
- Residency. You must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or hold a current long term visa (12 months or more). Student visas are not eligible.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years old to apply.
- Credit history. You must have no history of bad debt or payment defaults. If you don't know your credit score or what's on your file, you can get a free copy of your credit report through Finder.
- Personal details. This includes your full name, residential address, email address, date of birth, driver's licence number, marital status, number of dependents and contact number.
- Employment details. You'll need to provide information on your current employment status, job title and employer's contact details. You may also be asked to provide details to verify this information, such as recent payslips, your latest tax assessment notice or your accountant's contact details.
- Financial details. This includes details of your savings or any other assets and investments, as well as your existing loans, cards or other debts. You will also be asked to estimate your regular household spending on essentials such as groceries and bills.
- Frequent flyer number. If you want to earn Qantas Points with this card, you'll need to select that option during the application and then provide your Qantas Frequent Flyer number. Not a member yet? Check out this guide to find out how you can join for free.
- Rewards program. This card offers 4 Membership Rewards Points (2 Qantas Points) per $1 spent at David Jones. When spending at major supermarkets and petrol stations, you'll earn 3 reward points (1.5 Qantas Points) per $1 spent. All other eligible transactions earn you 1 reward point (0.5 Qantas Points) per $1 spent, uncapped.
- Exclusive David Jones benefits. Use this card when you shop in a David Jones department store and you can enjoy perks including complimentary gift wrapping, complimentary alterations for women's and men's apparel and complimentary priority delivery for items you buy in-store or online at davidjones.com. You can also get exclusive invites to special VIP events like the Season Launch Fashion Parades. Plus, take advantage of either 1 year interest-free with no deposit when you spend a minimum of $500 on your card in one transaction, or up to 5 years interest-free with no deposit when you spend at least $1,000 on your card in one transaction, across all departments in-store or online at David Jones. There is also a 3 Months Pay Later Option, which allows you to defer payment for purchases for 3 months when you spend $50 or more on your card in one transaction, across all departments in-store or online at David Jones.
- Redeeming points. If you opt for the Membership Rewards program, you can use your points to shop online at davidjones.com or transfer them to eight frequent flyer programs, including Asia Miles and KrisFlyer. You can also redeem points for travel, gift cards, merchandise and experiences through the Membership Rewards website. If you opt for the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, you can redeem your points for Qantas flight tickets, flight upgrades, gift cards and merchandise through the Qantas Marketplace.
- Complimentary airport lounge passes. This card offers two complimentary invitations to The Centurion Lounges at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport each year.
- Complimentary travel insurance. When you use this card to book tickets for flights you will receive complimentary travel insurance. This covers emergency medical expenses, personal liability, trip cancellation and amendment cover, as well as loss of money, documents, and baggage.
- Card purchase cover. This cover helps if an item you purchase using this card is stolen or damaged within 90 days, while buyer's advantage cover extends the manufacturer's warranty on eligible items that you pay for using this card.
- Digital wallets. If you have an eligible smartphone, you can use your David Jones Amex Platinum card to make contactless payments using your smartphone courtesy of Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Google Pay.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. The David Jones American Express Platinum charges a $295 annual fee.
- Interest rate. This card charges an interest rate of 23.99% p.a.
- Additional cardholders. If you want to share your account with your partner or family members, the David Jones American Express Platinum offers up to 4 additional cardholders for $0 each. This can help you earn points faster but keep in mind that you'll be the one responsible for managing the account.
- Interest-free days. If you pay your balance in full, you can look forward to up to 44 interest-free days on purchases with this card.
- Security. This card offers 24/7 online fraud protection, global card support and emergency card replacement to help keep your account safe.
You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked
August 17, 2023
Are you able to transfer your point to pay for the annual fee on the David Jones card
Amy Bradney-George Finder
August 18, 2023
This card is no longer available for new customers. If you already have this card, you can view your reward balance and redemption options by logging in to your account or by calling the phone number on the back of your card. I hope this helps.
January 27, 2017
If I pay now for an international flight due in April, will the complimentary travel insurance cover the whole period?
January 27, 2017
Thank you for your enquiry.
The coverage starts on the day your travel begins, as outlined on your travel booking. It ends either when you return or when your travel exceeds the maximum number of days outlined in the insurance policy, whichever happens first. The American Express complimentary travel insurance is available for forty five (45) consecutive days or when you have traveled a total of one hundred and eighty three (183) days during each year of Your David Jones American Express Platinum Card Account membership.
Each domestic or international trip must commence and end in Australia.
Please read more about American Express complimentary travel insurance to better understand you you can get covered and how their policy works.
Show more Show less
November 06, 2016
can I do cash advances from my David Jones American Express Platinum credit card?
Anndy Lou Finder
November 07, 2016
Thanks for your question.
Unfortunately, cash advance is not offered on The David Jones American Express Platinum Card.
September 05, 2014
Why cant we get cash out on our credit card
Shirley Liu Finder
September 08, 2014
Thanks for your question.
It could be for a range of reasons;
– You’ve reached your credit limit
– The ATM doesn’t display the same symbol as the one on your card
– You need to press ‘credit’ at the ATM.
If the problem still persists, please get in touch with Amex to troubleshoot the problem.
Show more Show less
May 27, 2013
Hi, I have a David Jones American Express Credit card. How can I get frequent flyer points from it?
May 27, 2013
Hi Tony. The FAQ section of the David Jones Website said to change your reward program preference to the Qantas Frequent Flyer Program – you need to call the Customer Service Centre to do this. You can’t redeem any of your existing David Jones Points to Qantas Points it will only affect future points earning. Any remaining Membership Rewards must be used within 30 days or they’ll expire. Check the American Express Membership Rewards on what you can redeem your points for. Make sure to ask the person you speak to about any restrictions on how many points you can transfer at a time. Jacob.
Show more Show less