The David Jones American Express Platinum Card
Enjoy 30,000 bonus Membership Reward points or 15,000 Qantas Points with a new David Jones American Express Platinum credit card.
Choose between Membership Rewards or Qantas Points with the David Jones Amex Platinum. It also offers complimentary travel insurance, lounge invites and benefits at David Jones.
Per $ spent
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
|Product Name||David Jones American Express Platinum Card|
|Rewards program||Membership Rewards|
|Purchase rate||20.74% p.a.|
|Interest-free period||44 days|
|Min credit limit||$2,000|
|Card type||American Express|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Available to temporary residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
- 30,000 Membership Rewards Points or 15,000 Qantas Points when you apply, are approved and spend $750 outside David Jones within the first three months
- High points earn rates of 3 points per $1 at major supermarkets and petrol stations, 4 points per $1 at David Jones and 1 point per $1 spent elsewhere
- Extended warranty and complimentary travel insurances
- Up to 4 additional cardholders at no extra cost
- Offers up to 44 days interest-free on purchases for this card, as opposed to most cards with 55 days
- A relatively high annual fee of $295 p.a.
|Rewards program||Membership Rewards|
|Rewards points per $ spent||1|
|Rewards points cap||Uncapped|
|Minimum monthly repayment||2.5% of the closing balance or $30, whichever is greater|
|Late payment fee||$30|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
|Number of additional cardholders||4|
Amy Bradney-George is the acting editor for credit cards and has more than 13 years’ experience writing about personal finance. She has bylines in publications including The Sydney Morning Herald, ABC News and The Equity Magazine. A passionate writer, she’s also acting editor for Finder X and senior writer for Finder Green. Amy has a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Drama from Griffith University, and when she’s not writing she spends her time as an actress.
How to apply
You can apply for the David Jones American Express Platinum credit card online in around 10 minutes and should get a response within 5 – 10 working days. Before you get started, make sure you meet the eligibility criteria and have all the documents and details you'll need for the application form.
- Minimum income. You must earn at least $65,000 annually.
- New cardholder. The offer is only available to new card members. This means you won't be eligible if you have held any other David Jones credit card product issued by American Express in the past 18 months. You also won't be eligible if you are applying for the Customers applying for the David Jones American Express Staff Card.
- Residency. You must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or hold a current long term visa (12 months or more). Student visas are not eligible.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years old to apply.
- Credit history. You must have no history of bad debt or payment defaults. If you don't know your credit score or what's on your file, you can get a free copy of your credit report through Finder.
- Personal details. This includes your full name, residential address, email address, date of birth, driver's licence number, marital status, number of dependents and contact number.
- Employment details. You'll need to provide information on your income, current employment status, job title and employer's contact details. You may also be asked to provide details to verify this information, such as recent payslips, your latest tax assessment notice or your accountant's contact details.
- Financial details. This includes details of your savings or any other assets and investments, as well as your existing loans, cards or other debts. You will also be asked to estimate your regular household spending on essentials such as groceries and bills.
- Frequent flyer number. If you want to earn Qantas Points with this card, you'll need to select that option during the application and then provide your Qantas Frequent Flyer number. Not a member yet? Check out this guide to find out how you can join for free.
- Bonus points. If you opt for Membership Rewards Points, you will receive 30,000 bonus points when you apply, are approved and spend $750 outside of David Jones within the first 3 months of card activation. If you opt for Qantas Points, you will receive 15,000 bonus frequent flyer points.
- Rewards program. This card offers 4 Membership Rewards Points (2 Qantas Points) per $1 spent at David Jones. When spending at major supermarkets and petrol stations, you'll earn 3 reward points (1.5 Qantas Points) per $1 spent. All other eligible transactions earn you 1 reward point (0.5 Qantas Points) per $1 spent, uncapped.
- David Jones in-store benefits. Use this card when you shop in a David Jones department store and you can enjoy perks including complimentary gift wrapping, complimentary alterations for women's and men's apparel and complimentary priority delivery for items you buy in-store. You can get exclusive invites to special VIP events like the Season Launch Fashion Parades and enjoy generous savings and gifts through the Instant Rewards benefit. You can also take advantage of either 1 year interest-free with no deposit when you spend a minimum of $500 on your card in one transaction, or up to 5 years interest-free with no deposit when you spend at least $1,000 on your card in one transaction, across all departments in-store or online at David Jones. Or make use of the 3 Months Pay Later Option, which allows you to defer payment for purchases for 3 months when you spend $50 or more on your card in one transaction, across all departments in-store or online at David Jones.
- Redeeming points. If you opt for the Membership Rewards program, you can use your points to shop online at davidjones.com or transfer them to eight frequent flyer programs, including Asia Miles and KrisFlyer. You can also redeem points for travel, gift cards, merchandise and experiences through the Membership Rewards website. If you opt for the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, you can redeem your points for Qantas flight tickets, flight upgrades, gift cards and merchandise through the Qantas Store.
- Complimentary airport lounge passes. This card offers two complimentary invitations to the American Express Lounge at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport each year.
- Complimentary travel insurance. When you use this card to book tickets for flights you will receive complimentary travel insurance. This covers emergency medical expenses, personal liability, travel cancellation, as well as loss of money, documents, and baggage.
- Purchase insurance covers. Purchase protection helps if an item you purchase using this card is stolen or damaged within 90 days, while Buyers Advantage extends the manufacturer's warranty on eligible items that you pay for using this card.
- Digital wallets. If you have an eligible smartphone, you can use your David Jones Amex Platinum card to make contactless payments using your smartphone courtesy of Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Google Pay.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. The David Jones American Express Platinum charges a $295 annual fee.
- Interest rate. This card charges an interest rate of 20.74% p.a.
- Additional cardholders. If you want to share your account with your partner or family members, the David Jones American Express Platinum offers up to 4 additional cardholders for $0 each. This can help you earn points faster but keep in mind that you'll be the one responsible for managing the account.
- Interest-free days. If you pay your balance in full, you can look forward to up to 44 interest-free days on purchases with this card.
- Security. This card offers 24/7 online fraud protection, global card support and emergency card replacement to help keep your account safe.