Best places to exchange currency in Wollongong
Where to find the best value for money when you need to buy foreign currency in Wollongong.
Located just a short drive south of Sydney, the coastal city of Wollongong is a popular spot to visit for international tourists. Regardless of whether you're an overseas visitor or a Wollongong local planning an international trip, you'll find plenty of options when you need to exchange currency in "The Gong".
Keep reading for details of some of the best currency exchange services in Wollongong.
Compare currency exchange services
Who can change my money in Wollongong?
1. The Currency Exchange
The Currency Exchange is located in the Wollongong Central shopping centre, near the Church Street entrance. It allows you to buy and sell more than 50 currencies, with the option to order online and then pick up your cash in-store or choose home delivery.
The Wollongong branch is open Monday to Saturday, and The Currency Exchange also offers a prepaid travel card which can be loaded with up to 10 currencies.
Unimoni offers an international money transfer service and also allows customers to exchange more than 60 currencies. Its Wollongong branch is found on the ground floor of the Crown Building and is open Monday to Saturday.
Unimoni also offers a travel money card that can be loaded with up to 11 currencies.
Travelex is a travel money provider that offers foreign currency exchange services, prepaid travel cards and international money transfers. Its Wollongong branch is found in the Figtree Grove shopping centre and it also has a location further south in Shellharbour.
You can order currency from Travelex either online or in-store.
Tips for getting the best deal when exchanging money
Keep the following tips in mind to get the best bang for your buck when exchanging currency:
- Check the current mid-market rate. The rate a currency exchange provider offers you will be different to the current mid-market rate. Check the mid-market rate on Google to find out how the provider's rate compares.
- Shop online, not on foot. While you can physically visit multiple exchange services to compare prices, it's quicker and easier to do your comparison online before heading to a store.
- Check for fees. Be careful to check for any hidden fees before ordering currency. And don't fall for a provider's claims that it doesn't charge any fees – fees will also apply, but sometimes they'll be included in the exchange rate you receive.
- Don't change money at the airport. Airport exchange bureaus provide a simple and convenient option, but their low exchange rates and high fees mean they should be avoided.
- Don't withdraw money from foreign ATMs. Using your card at a foreign ATM is another convenient way to get your hands on some cash, but be aware that high fees and low exchange rates are the norm.
Compare money transfer services
If you're searching for an international money transfer service rather than currency exchange, enter the details of your transfer into the calculator below. You'll then be able to review how much your transaction will cost with several leading money transfer services.
The "Rate" and "Amount Received" displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention "Finder" before you commit to a brand.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Transfer to over 99 countries via online banking, phone banking or through an ANZ bank branch.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
Send money overseas in 30+ currencies with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Global Reach will match any competitor's exchange rates. Conditions apply.
No transfer fee when transferring more than £10,000 or equivalent. Send money in over 130 currencies. No maximum transfer amount.
Ask an Expert