Best places to exchange currency in Darwin
Where to find the best deal when exchanging foreign currency in Darwin.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
The gateway to the Northern Territory, Darwin is one of Australia's most beautiful cities and a popular spot with tourists. If you want to exchange currency in Darwin, keep reading to find out where you'll be able to get the best value for money.
Compare online currency exchange services
Who can change my money in Darwin?
1. Travel Money Oz
Travel Money Oz lets you exchange dozens of currencies and also offers convenient travel money cards. You can buy currency online, or instore at any of Travel Money Oz's locations in Mitchell Centre, Casuarina Square and in both the arrivals and departures terminals at Darwin Airport. All stores are open seven days a week.
Travelex offers a wide range of travel money solutions including currency exchange, travel money cards and international transfers. You can order dozens of currencies instore or online, and Travelex has one branch in Casuarina Square. Located opposite Donut King, the store is open seven days a week.
Remox is an Australian owned and operated foreign exchange and international money transfer service. It allows you to order currency online, or instore at its Darwin branches located in Mitchell Centre and Casuarina Square. Both stores are open Monday to Saturday, with extended operating hours on Friday evenings.
Tips for getting the best deal when exchanging money
These simple tips will help you get more bang for your buck when buying currency:
- Look online. Visiting several currency exchanges in person to try and find the best rate is tiring and time consuming. It's quicker and easier to shop around online, order your currency over the Internet and then head instore to collect the cash.
- Know the current mid-market rate. The mid-market rate is the "real" exchange rate. The exchange rate you receive from a currency exchange service will include an additional fee on top of the mid-market rate, so check the current mid-market rate on Google to find out how much your transaction is really going to cost.
- Read the fine print. Make sure you're aware of all the fees that will apply to your transaction before handing over any money.
- Don't exchange money at the airport. Airport exchange bureaus offer a quick and convenient way to get your hands on the currency you need. However, because they have a captive market and little competition, they usually charge high fees and offer disappointing exchange rates.
- Avoid foreign ATMs. Another easy and convenient way to acquire the currency you need is to simply withdraw money from a foreign ATM. Unfortunately, using this option also means accepting high fees and low exchange rates.
Compare money transfer services
Do you want to send money overseas rather than exchange currency? Enter the details of your international transfer into the calculator below to see how much it will cost with a range of money transfer services.
The "Rate" and "Amount Received" displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention "Finder" before you commit to a brand.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals in Australia, hand-picked by Finder's shopping experts.
Best split system air conditioners in Australia
Our expert team has analysed hundreds of customer reviews of split system air conditioners to determine the best available in Australia for every budget and purpose.
Best camping mattresses in Australia
These are the 6 best camping mattresses you can get in Australia right now.
Best projectors in Australia
Here are the 7 best projectors you can buy right now for all your home theatre and gaming needs.
Best weed killers in Australia
These are the eight best weed killers you can buy right now in Australia.
Best screen protectors in Australia
Our expert team has analysed hundreds of customer reviews of phone films of all types to determine the best screen protectors in Australia for every budget and purpose.
Best Beard Oils in Australia
These are the 6 best beard oils you can buy right now in Australia.
Best pressure washers in Australia
These are the 7 best pressure washers you can buy right now in Australia.
Best humidifiers in Australia
These are the 6 best humidifiers you can buy in 2020 in Australia.
Best binoculars in Australia
Our expert team has analysed hundreds of customer reviews of field glasses of all types to determine the best binoculars in Australia for every budget and purpose.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
Send money overseas in 30+ currencies with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
SendFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
Send 60+ currencies at competitive rates and no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Ask an Expert