Best places to exchange currency in Canberra
Where to find the best deal when exchanging foreign currency in Canberra.
Regardless of whether you're visiting Canberra for business or pleasure, there are plenty of options to choose from when you want to exchange foreign currency.
But where can you find the best value for money? Keep reading for information on some of the top currency exchange services in Canberra.
Compare Canberra currency exchange services
Who can change my money in Canberra?
Travelex is a travel money specialist that offers currency exchange services, prepaid travel money cards and international transfers. You can order dozens of currencies online or in-store from Travelex, with locations on Alinga Street, at Canberra Centre, in Westfield shopping centres in Woden and Belconnen, and at Canberra International Airport.
2. Travel Money Oz
Travel Money Oz offers prepaid travel cards and also allows you to exchange dozens of popular currencies. You can buy currency online or in-store, with Travel Money Oz boasting three locations in Canberra – Canberra Centre, Westfield Belconnen and Westfield Woden. All stores are open seven days a week.
Unimoni is best known as an international money transfer provider but it also offers foreign exchange services. Its Canberra City branch is found in Garema Place and is open from Monday to Saturday, while its Westfield Belconnen branch is also open Monday to Saturday.
Tips for getting the best deal when exchanging money
To ensure you get the best value for money, remember the following tips when buying or selling foreign currency:
- Compare your options online. Rather than visiting multiple stores to see who offers the best exchange rate, shop around for the highest rate online. You can then book your currency over the Internet before collecting it in person.
- Check the current mid-market rate. The mid-market rate can be found on Google and is the "real" exchange rate. Before selling any currency on to you, the currency exchange service will add a margin on top of this mid-market rate, so check the current mid-market rate to find out whether you're getting a good deal.
- Watch out for hidden fees. Read the fine print closely to find out whether any fees will apply to your transaction. Even if a currency exchange service claims that it doesn't charge any fees, it's a certainty that fees will actually apply – they're just included in your exchange rate rather than charged up-front.
- Avoid airport exchange bureaus. While they may be convenient, airport exchange bureaus tend to charge high fees and offer poor exchange rates compared to what is available elsewhere.
- Avoid foreign ATMs. Avoid withdrawing cash from a foreign ATM if possible. While this is quick and convenient, you'll need to accept high fees and low exchange rates if you choose this option.
Compare money transfer services
If you want to send an international money transfer rather than buy foreign currency, input the details of your transfer into the calculator below. You'll then be able to compare how much your transaction will cost across a range of leading transfer services.
The "Rate" and "Amount Received" displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention "Finder" before you commit to a brand.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
Send money overseas in 30+ currencies with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Send 60+ currencies at competitive rates with $0 transfer fees for Finder customers. WorldFirst will beat any eligible quote from another provider.
$0 transfer fees for Finder customers.
No-maximum limit transfers with competitive exchange rates for 100+ currencies. No transfer fee over AUD$10,000.
Ask an Expert