Best places to exchange currency in Canberra
Where to find the best deal when exchanging foreign currency in Canberra.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Regardless of whether you're visiting Canberra for business or pleasure, there are plenty of options to choose from when you want to exchange foreign currency.
But where can you find the best value for money? Keep reading for information on some of the top currency exchange services in Canberra.
Who can change my money in Canberra?
Travelex is a travel money specialist that offers currency exchange services, prepaid travel money cards and international transfers. You can order dozens of currencies online or in-store from Travelex, with locations on Alinga Street, at Canberra Centre, in Westfield shopping centres in Woden and Belconnen, and at Canberra International Airport.
2. Travel Money Oz
Travel Money Oz offers prepaid travel cards and also allows you to exchange dozens of popular currencies. You can buy currency online or in-store, with Travel Money Oz boasting three locations in Canberra – Canberra Centre, Westfield Belconnen and Westfield Woden. All stores are open seven days a week.
Unimoni is best known as an international money transfer provider but it also offers foreign exchange services. Its Canberra City branch is found in Garema Place and is open from Monday to Saturday, while its Westfield Belconnen branch is also open Monday to Saturday.
Tips for getting the best deal when exchanging money
To ensure you get the best value for money, remember the following tips when buying or selling foreign currency:
- Compare your options online. Rather than visiting multiple stores to see who offers the best exchange rate, shop around for the highest rate online. You can then book your currency over the Internet before collecting it in person.
- Check the current mid-market rate. The mid-market rate can be found on Google and is the "real" exchange rate. Before selling any currency on to you, the currency exchange service will add a margin on top of this mid-market rate, so check the current mid-market rate to find out whether you're getting a good deal.
- Watch out for hidden fees. Read the fine print closely to find out whether any fees will apply to your transaction. Even if a currency exchange service claims that it doesn't charge any fees, it's a certainty that fees will actually apply – they're just included in your exchange rate rather than charged up-front.
- Avoid airport exchange bureaus. While they may be convenient, airport exchange bureaus tend to charge high fees and offer poor exchange rates compared to what is available elsewhere.
- Avoid foreign ATMs. Avoid withdrawing cash from a foreign ATM if possible. While this is quick and convenient, you'll need to accept high fees and low exchange rates if you choose this option.
Compare money transfer services
If you want to send an international money transfer rather than buy foreign currency, input the details of your transfer into the calculator below. You'll then be able to compare how much your transaction will cost across a range of leading transfer services.
The "Rate" and "Amount Received" displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention "Finder" before you commit to a brand.
More guides on Finder
Best caravan parks on the Sunshine Coast
Discover more than just idyllic beaches and untouched national parks along the Sunshine Coast.
Campervan hire in Broome | Where to book, what to know
Plan your epic road trip around WA with our guide to campervan hire in Broome.
Best caravan parks in Kalbarri, Western Australia
Base yourself moments away from the West Coast’s Kalbarri National Park.
Best caravan parks in Halls Gap
Discover the top caravan parks in Halls Gap for easy access to Grampians National Park.
Moschino discount codes January 2021
Pick up some splurge-worthy pieces for a steal with these Moschino discount codes.
Campervan hire in Darwin | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore the Top End with our guide to campervan hire in Darwin.
Best sunglasses in Australia
From the best overall sunglasses for men and women to the best sunglasses for driving and running, these are the eight best sunglasses you can buy in Australia right now.
Campervan hire in Brisbane | Where to book, what to know
Ready to explore the wonders of Queensland? Here’s our guide on hiring a campervan from Brisbane.
Campervan hire in Adelaide | Where to book, what to know
Cruise Australia's picturesque roads in your perfect camper from Adelaide.
How to start a virtual assistant business
Get set up to provide support services remotely with our guide to launching a virtual assistant company.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
SendFX guarantees to match any competitor’s exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates with no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Ask an Expert