Best places to exchange currency in Canberra
Where to find the best deal when exchanging foreign currency in Canberra.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Regardless of whether you're visiting Canberra for business or pleasure, there are plenty of options to choose from when you want to exchange foreign currency.
But where can you find the best value for money? Keep reading for information on some of the top currency exchange services in Canberra.
Who can change my money in Canberra?
Travelex is a travel money specialist that offers currency exchange services, prepaid travel money cards and international transfers. You can order dozens of currencies online or in-store from Travelex, with locations on Alinga Street, at Canberra Centre, in Westfield shopping centres in Woden and Belconnen, and at Canberra International Airport.
2. Travel Money Oz
Travel Money Oz offers prepaid travel cards and also allows you to exchange dozens of popular currencies. You can buy currency online or in-store, with Travel Money Oz boasting three locations in Canberra – Canberra Centre, Westfield Belconnen and Westfield Woden. All stores are open seven days a week.
Unimoni is best known as an international money transfer provider but it also offers foreign exchange services. Its Canberra City branch is found in Garema Place and is open from Monday to Saturday, while its Westfield Belconnen branch is also open Monday to Saturday.
Tips for getting the best deal when exchanging money
To ensure you get the best value for money, remember the following tips when buying or selling foreign currency:
- Compare your options online. Rather than visiting multiple stores to see who offers the best exchange rate, shop around for the highest rate online. You can then book your currency over the Internet before collecting it in person.
- Check the current mid-market rate. The mid-market rate can be found on Google and is the "real" exchange rate. Before selling any currency on to you, the currency exchange service will add a margin on top of this mid-market rate, so check the current mid-market rate to find out whether you're getting a good deal.
- Watch out for hidden fees. Read the fine print closely to find out whether any fees will apply to your transaction. Even if a currency exchange service claims that it doesn't charge any fees, it's a certainty that fees will actually apply – they're just included in your exchange rate rather than charged up-front.
- Avoid airport exchange bureaus. While they may be convenient, airport exchange bureaus tend to charge high fees and offer poor exchange rates compared to what is available elsewhere.
- Avoid foreign ATMs. Avoid withdrawing cash from a foreign ATM if possible. While this is quick and convenient, you'll need to accept high fees and low exchange rates if you choose this option.
Compare money transfer services
If you want to send an international money transfer rather than buy foreign currency, input the details of your transfer into the calculator below. You'll then be able to compare how much your transaction will cost across a range of leading transfer services.
The "Rate" and "Amount Received" displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention "Finder" before you commit to a brand.
More guides on Finder
Binance vs Coinbase: Which is best for you?
Binance and Coinbase are two titans of cryptocurrency – let's see how the two stack up and find out which suits your needs.
Review: FTX cryptocurrency exchange
Trade cryptocurrency, derivatives and speculate on stocks with this fully-featured exchange created "by traders, for traders".
The best SNES games of all time
The SNES was the king of the hill in the 16-bit retro gaming era; here are the 8 best titles that you should own.
Find the best AUD to USD exchange rate
Get today’s best Australian to US dollar exchange rates before you send money overseas.
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
Best blue light glasses in Australia
Block out excess blue light while staying stylish with a pair of the best blue light glasses money can buy.
Best PlayStation 1 games of all time
We’ve played a LOT of PlayStation 1 games to bring you the definitive list of the very best games the system had to offer across all genres and tastes.
Best pillow and cushion inserts in Australia
We’ve found the seven best pillow and cushion inserts you can buy in Australia right now.
Best swimming goggles in Australia
From the top model for most people to the best anti-glare goggles, we rounded up the seven best swimming goggles available online.
Best epilators in Australia
These are the six best epilators you can buy in Australia right now.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Special offer: $40 off when you transfer more than $250+ with code AUFIND40, conditions apply.
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
$0 transfer fees for Finder customers.
OFX has no maximum limit transfers, with competitive exchange rates for 45+ currencies.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Ask an Expert