Browse your options to get better rates at a currency exchange in Cairns.
Cairns is one of Australia's tourist capitals and there are plenty of currency exchange services available.
That means you can easily shop around to find the one that gives you the best rates. This guide shows you where to look and offers up some tips for finding the best rates.
Compare online currency exchange services
Where can I change my money in Cairns?
1. Travel Money Oz
There are two Travel Money Oz branches in Cairns: one is in Earlville at the Stockland Cairns Shopping Centre and the other is in downtown Cairns. Both are open seven days a week during regular business hours, but you'll typically find better rates in downtown Cairns where there's more competition with more currency exchanges.
For greater convenience and more predictable rates, you can also order your currency online beforehand then pick it up in the Travel Money Oz branch of your choosing.
The Travelex in Cairns is in the Cairns Central shopping centre, downtown near the city. It's open seven days a week and offers a wide range of currency options beyond just exchanging currency.
Its location is also near other currency exchanges, so this is a good one to compare against others in the hunt for better rates.
However, you'll find even better value for money when you order currency online for in-store pick-up, as Travelex offers better rates when you pre-order via its website.
3. Currency Services Australia
This currency exchange is also located downtown, on Spence St, near the centre of Cairns and close to a lot of other currency exchanges.
It's a smaller brand than the others and only open six days a week, but you might find more preferable rates or another option to compare.
Tips for getting the best deal when exchanging money
Take advantage of a few tips to help you get a better deal when exchanging currencies.
- Plan ahead. There are travel money options beyond just exchanging cash at booths and many of them will be more cost-effective. If you still need cash for your trip, you can also buy it at home before you depart, often at more favourable rates.
- Compare your options. There are a lot of currency exchanges close to each other in downtown Cairns, which makes it easy to shop around and compare your options. Don't just go for the first one you see.
- Know the mid-market rates. It's worth paying attention to the mid-market rates because they let you easily work out how good rates are even if you don't have anything else to compare to.
- Avoid airports. You'll find a lot of currency exchanges at airports, but they generally won't offer the best value for money and are more likely to have some of the worst rates in the area.
- Be wary of extra fees. Certain options will typically come with extra fees. ATMs are one of the most common extra-cost currency exchange options, although they are convenient.
Compare money transfer services
You can also send money overseas, typically at more favourable rates than you'll find at a regular currency exchange.
Enter the details of your transfer into the table below and it will run the numbers to show you what your transfer could look like with a range of different providers.
The "Rate" and "Amount Received" displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention "Finder" before you commit to a brand.