Cuba is one of those rare countries that is still relatively untouched. Although European and Canadian tourists have been flocking to its beach resorts for decades, its cities were left for only true adventurers.
Today the cities have been opened up via tours, helping tourists delve deep into the country’s colonial past, showing off its architecture and putting you in touch with locals.
Whether adventure, beaches, history or a mix of all is your thing, we’ve broken down your options by interest, travel style, budget and more so you get the most out of your trip abroad.
The world’s largest small group adventure tour leader is also one of the most eco-friendly in the world. Intrepid brings adventurers of all ages and levels to destinations across the globe for small and action-packed tours.
- Best for: Active travellers, small groups.
- Cost: Mid-range.
- Our favourite itinerary: The Cuba Explorer is ideal for travellers wanting to get a deeper sense of Cuba, its history, architecture and its scenic sites in just 10 days.
Search for Intrepid tours
Small groups, eco tourists, giving back to community and more, G Adventures is one company that is supportive not only of its travellers but the areas that they bring visitors to. G Adventures will take you around Cuba and beyond for a trip suited to your travel style, from classic to active and everything in between.
- Best for: Eco tourists, small groups.
- Cost: Mid-range.
- Our favourite itinerary: We love the Cuban Rhythms tour which combines the history and city sites with natural landscapes and adventures such as hiking and snorkelling.
Search for G Adventures tours
Tap into budget-friendly tours that let you live the local life via local homestays and independent self-guided tours with Bamba Experience.
- Best for: Local living.
- Cost: Budget.
- Our favourite itinerary: The Cuba Express Homestay Experience is an 8-day blitz across three cities that’s friendly on the wallet. It costs $124 per day, which includes accommodation, breakfast and transport.
Search for Bamba Experience tours
Other tour companies that offer tours in Cuba
- Cuban Adventures: Cuban Adventures has local tour leaders that give visitors an authentic and true Cuban experience.
- Intrepid: Intrepid focuses on small group tours that are environmentally friendly and offer tours catered to all activity levels.
- G Adventures: G Adventures connects people to locals and brings small groups to destinations catering to many travel styles.
- G Adventures: G Adventures has a number of sailing Cuba tours so you can explore the coast and Havana with the wind in your hair.
- Scenic: This luxury cruise line has a 13-day tour around the islands which calls in at Long Island, Mayaguana Island, Santiago de Cuba, Casilda, Havana and more.
- Intrepid: Intrepid has one sailing tour that was built with minimal stops for maximum relaxation and exploration time.
- Explore!: Explore! offers small group adventure tours with a number of cycling tours in Cuba that include highlights, backroads, beaches and more.
- ExperiencePlus! Bicycle Tours: Find cycling tours across the world with ExperiencePlus! Bicycle Tours, with 2 founders who were named 2 of the world’s top 10 guides by National Geographic Traveler.
- WoWCuba: Find cycling tours all across Cuba both on and off the beaten path with a focus on authentic experiences.
- G Adventures: G Adventures has strived for years to be eco-conscious and it’s no different with its small group tours throughout Cuba that connect you to communities and the environment.
- Gondwana Ecotours: Gondwana Ecotours only offers one tour in Cuba but it’s one of only a few eco-friendly tour companies in Cuba. It offers sustainable travel for groups and families.
- Cuba Nature Travel: Cuba Nature Travel has a large selection of tours that include a focus on everything from diving to fishing, birdwatching to trekking and more.
Most tours of Cuba highlight western Cuba with tours beginning in Havana and moving towards popular spots such as Las Terrazas, Soroa and Vinales. It gives visitors a good mix of Cuba’s larger cities, natural scenery and colonial history.
Central Cuba tours dive deep into some of the most popular spots in Cuba which the majority starting from Havana with stops in Santa Clara and Trinidad. Like western Cuba, central Cuba gives travellers the opportunity to delve more into the unique Cuban culture and cuisine, and provides direct access to beautiful waters along the coast with history added into the mix too.
Cuba is not a large country but getting between places can still take time. The good news is that a week in Cuba allows you to cover all of the must-see highlights of the most popular regions, either western or central Cuba.
Spend two weeks in Cuba and you’ll be able to explore more in-depth. If time allows, give yourself three weeks in the country and you’ll happily be able to see the entire country in-depth without rushing.
Best week-long tour:
Best 2-week trip:
Best 3-week tour:
Popular Travel coupon codes
|29 Jan 2020
||US$30 off on tours and activities with code
|29 Jan 2020
||$15 off South Pacific flights
|16 Jan 2020
||Up to 40% off worldwide hotels + Extra 8% off with code
|10 Jan 2020
||Extra 8% off hotels
|9 Jan 2020
||Up to 75% off worldwide hotels + extra 5% off with code