7 of the most exciting cruises for singles
The cruises with room for singles who want to mingle as well as solo independent travellers.
Gone are the days when solo travel was contrary to the norm. These days, the solo traveller can be found in all corners of the world and cruise liners have caught onto this trend. Many offer services, experiences and accommodation perfect for a party of one without making you feel like you’re on an island of isolation.
If you’re looking for your next adventure, becoming a single traveller on one of these liners could be where it starts. So take the plunge and start cruising solo.
2. Holland America Line
Holland America offers sophisticated cruising to destinations worldwide and a Single Partners Program for like-minded singles to meet.
Not long after the cruise departs, each Holland America ship facilitates a gathering for its solo passengers. It’s an opportunity to meet, make friends and organise events to participate in together.
- Best cruise for: Senior singles and over 40s.
- Solo activities: Cooking classes, computer instruction classes and dance parties for single ladies on certain sailings.
- Best cabin: Singles who agree to share a stateroom with another single of the same sex can avoid paying the double occupancy rate. Holland America can search for the partner for you.
- Single supplements? No. However, Holland America will try and facilitate a shared room if you agree.
Go to Holland America Line website
View coupon code for Holland America Line
This luxury line boasts premium and personalised services whether you’re a party of one or a group of 20.
Fuel your thirst for knowledge and adventure with Cunard’s wide range of activities and enrichment programs. This line goes above and beyond to make your onboard experience a fruitful one by offering musical event cruises, literary and culinary speakers.
- Best cruise for: Senior singles and over 50s.
- Solo activities: Guest speakers, musical productions, Shakespearean plays and night dancing.
- Best cabin: All three Cunard ships have at least nine single-occupancy cabins. The Queen Mary 2 has 15 ocean-view cabins for solo travellers.
- Single supplements? Yes, single travellers who wish to stay in a double occupancy room can pay a sole occupancy supplement. Fares vary.
Go to Cunard website
View coupon code for Cunard
4. Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines
Solo seniors reap the benefits of no single supplements on select twin rooms with Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines.
Fred. Olsen draws a select crowd of more mature types seeking an intimate cruise journey. For singles, it provides a warm, social atmosphere and charges no single supplement fees on select sailings.
- Best cruise for: Senior singles.
- Solo activities: Shopping, live performances, spa, fitness centre, gaming tables, library and golf nets.
- Best cabin: Twin room with no single supplement. Ask when you book.
- Single supplements? No. Fred. Olsen doesn’t charge for single supplements on select cruises and room grades.
Go to Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines website
View coupon code for Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines
Live with no regrets, take that solo sailing trip with Contiki.
Although not a cruise line, Contiki does offer sailings to many destinations through the Mediterranean, Great Barrier Reef and more. Its tours are geared toward youths 18-35 years old and include many social activities for you to get to make new friends.
- Best cruise for: Young singles in their 20s and 30s.
- Solo activities: Diving, swimming and onshore exploration.
- Best cabin: Cabins vary per ship and are comparable to one another.
- Single supplements? Available on some trips at an added cost or you can be paired up with another solo traveller on select tours.
Go to Contiki website
View coupon code for Contiki
6. G Adventures
You only live once, so live that life with a G Adventures solo adventure.
You might be familiar with G Adventures as an outgoing tour company, but they also specialise in cruise expeditions, river cruises and sailings around the world. Most sailings are shared accommodation making them ideal for solo travellers.
- Best cruise for: Young singles in their 20s and 30s.
- Solo activities: Snorkelling, whale spotting and onshore exploration.
- Best cabin: Cabin bunks vary per ship and are usually comparable with one another.
- Single supplements? No. Most trips offer shared accommodation and you will be paired with another traveller of the same sex.
Go to G Adventures website
View coupon code for G Adventures
Top cruise deals and flights
Up to 41% off Antarctic expeditions with Peregrine
Valid on select tours including 41% off the 11-day Antarctic Explorer, 27% off the 7-day Antarctic Express and 27% off the 14-day Crossing the Circle.
Up to 41% off Antarctic and Arctic trips with Intrepid
Valid on select tours departing until in Antarctica and the Arctic. Sample expeditions include the 11-day Antarctic Explorer for 41% off, 8-day Arctic Watch Lodge for 22% off and the 11-day Antarctic Express for 22% off.
Save up to 50%: Mates Rate Sale
Valid on select sailings until 30 April 2018. Get the second passenger in your cabin for up to 50% off on select P&O sailings. Conditions apply.
Up to 14% off Antarctic cruises
Valid on select Antarctic expedition cruises from Quark Expeditions, Antarctica XXI, Silversea an Hurtigruten.
FREE upgrade to all inclusive drinks package
Book now and get your free upgrade to all inclusive drinks package or have a twin room to yourself without paying a supplement at Fred Olsen. T&Cs apply.
Up to 30% off rivercruises
Valid on select cruises departing until 30 April on the Ganges, Mekong and Burgundy.
Up to 72% off P&O Cruises
Valid on select cruises in Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific Islands. Sample discounts include 72% off a 3-night cruise from Brisbane, 85% off a 2-night cruise from Sydney to Melbourne and 56% off a 10-night South Pacific cruise from Sydney.
50% off second passenger on MSC Cruises
Valid on select MSC Cruise booking made before 10 March. Valid on sailings in the Caribbean, South America, Europe, South Africa and the Middle East.
50% off second passenger on Azamara + free internet
Book outside cabins or higher on select Azamara cruises departing 12 June 2017 until 26 April 2018 and the second passenger sails for free, plus get free unlimited internet.