7 of the best cruises for kids for the ultimate family holiday at sea
Sail the seven seas aboard these family friendly cruise lines.
Setting sail on a luxury cruise is an adventure you won’t soon forget. Even if it’s not your kids’ first time at sea, the little ones are bound to be excited to board the ship and journey to far distant lands.
When that magic wears off, you’ll want to make sure there are enough kid-friendly activities to keep them happy.
That’s where these cruise lines excel. They’re experts in family friendly adventures and offer plenty of onboard entertainment to leave them with fond memories of their trip – and hopefully a greater thirst for travel!
1. Disney Cruise Line via CruiseAway
Everybody’s dreams can come true when you enter the magical wonderland of a Disney Cruise Line ship.
A paradise for kids and the young at heart, Disney cruises feature everything from Mickey-themed restaurants to pirate-themed rooms, plus characters in costume and live musical productions. Make sure to pack your kid’s favourite Disney character costume –
- Entertainment: Kids pool, live shows, deck parties, youth clubs, character experiences and themed nights
- Baby nurseries? Yes, nurseries are available across the whole Disney Cruise Line fleet.
- Cabin configuration: Family and two-bedroom themed state rooms.
Go to Disney Cruise Line via CruiseAway website
View coupon codes for Disney Cruise Line via CruiseAway
2. Royal Caribbean via CruiseAway
This international cruise line has two of the world’s largest ships, and with them, a wealth of interactive activity centres to keep kids busy.
Choose from theme parks, adventure centres, rock climbing walls, ice rinks and FlowRider surf machines. Royal Caribbean also hosts a free Adventure Ocean youth centre with activities appropriate for children and teenagers.
- Entertainment: DreamWorks character dining experiences, 3D movie screenings, family dining time, merry-go-rounds and zip lines
- Baby nurseries? Yes, Royal Caribbean has a dedicated nursery for babies of 6-36 months and hosts babies and tots interactive playgroup sessions.
- Cabin configuration: Family rooms available for up to eight people.
Go to Royal Caribbean via CruiseAway website
View coupon codes for Royal Caribbean via CruiseAway
3. Carnival Cruise Lines via CruiseAway
Carnival has been in the family friendly cruise line business since 1972, so it’s little wonder that it’s considered one of the best for fun and entertaining cruises.
All Carnival cruises have a youth program to suit under 18s, along with Dr Seuss themed activities (so expect lots of green eggs and ham and Sam I ams on your stay!).
- Entertainment: IMAX theatre, pools and waterslides, story time activities, Seuss-a-palooza Parade, dive-in movie theatre (movies you can watch from the pool), video arcade, mini golf, sports and the SkyCourse walk
- Baby nurseries? No, however babysitting services are available for a fee.
- Cabin configuration: Family friendly state and harbour rooms available.
Go to Carnival Cruise Lines via CruiseAway website
View coupon codes for Carnival Cruise Lines via CruiseAway
4. Norwegian Cruise Line via CruiseAway
With some of the most unique children’s activities at sea, including cake decorating and circus school, a Norwegian Cruise adventure is destined to be an unforgettable one.
On top of age-specific youth centres, parents have the chance to drop off the tykes at the Late Night Fun Zone or the Port Play centre when the ship is in port. This will give you that much needed time away to explore your destination hand-in-hand.
- Entertainment: Family dining, mini golf, bowling, circus and magic shows, pools and waterslides
- Baby nurseries? A Guppies Nursery is available on the Norwegian Escape. Otherwise, guppies playgroup programs are available for babies 6 months to 3 years fleet wide.
- Cabin configuration: Choose between interconnecting state rooms and family suites.
Go to Norwegian Cruise Line via CruiseAway website
View coupon codes for Norwegian Cruise Line via CruiseAway
5. P&O Cruises via CruiseAway
Please the entire family by sailing away on one of P&O’s specially designed family cruises.
Each of P&O’s family cruise ships feature the P&O Edge Adventure Park, which is the largest adventure park at sea. When the day is done, parents can rest up in “adults only” zones throughout the ship.
- Entertainment: Kids pools, kids clubs for all ages, playgrounds, children’s tea, discos and family excursions
- Baby nurseries? Yes, there is a night nursery available for babies.
- Cabin configuration: The majority of twin cabins have an additional two beds that fold out from the ceiling.
Go to P&O Cruises via CruiseAway website
View coupon codes for P&O Cruises via CruiseAway
6. MSC via CruiseAway
As a family-owned company, MSC encourages family travel by offering free accommodation for kids under 18 on select sailings when they stay with their parents in the same cabin.
Onboard, the little ones can sign up for an age-appropriate youth club where they can meet children their own age. If they get along swimmingly, there are kids-only supervised dinners to further fuel those friendships.
- Entertainment: LEGO activities, arts and crafts, dance classes and performances, teen talent show, teen prom night and sports activities
- Nurseries for babies? Yes, a baby care service, Mini Club playground, a baby laundry service and a baby-friendly toy centre is available
- Cabin configuration: Family suites and superfamily suites for up to six guests available.
Go to MSC via CruiseAway website
View coupon codes for MSC via CruiseAway
7. Princess Cruises
From toddlers to teenagers, Princess Cruise ships were built to entertain kids of all ages so that you can all unwind in your preferred holiday way.
After you board, check the 3-7-year-olds into the Youth Centre (not available on the Pacific Princess) where they can make new friends their own age. If they like, they can stick around for the “kids only” dinners where pizza and ice cream abound. For old
- Entertainment: Children’s play areas, kids clubs, kids discos, arts and craft activities, video game rooms, sports tournaments, whale watching classes, foosball tables, DJ workshops and teen makeovers
- Baby nurseries? No.
- Cabin configuration: Family suites are available on certain ships.
Go to Princess Cruises website
View coupon codes for Princess Cruises
Top kid friendly tour deals and flights
Up to 66% off MSC cruises
Book an MSC cruise with CruiseAway for up to 66% off the regular price. Destinations include the Mediterranean, South America, the Caribbean and the Middle East.