6 of the best cruises for kids and the ultimate family holiday at sea
Sail the seven seas aboard these family-friendly cruise lines.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Setting sail on a luxury cruise is an adventure you won’t soon forget. Even if it’s not your kids’ first time at sea, the little ones are bound to be excited to board the ship and journey to far distant lands.
When that magic wears off, you’ll want to make sure there are enough kid-friendly activities to keep them happy.
That’s where these cruise lines excel. They’re experts in family-friendly adventures and offer plenty of onboard entertainment to leave them with fond memories of their trip – and hopefully a greater thirst for travel!
1. Disney Cruise Line
Everybody's dreams can come true when you enter the magical wonderland of a Disney Cruise Line ship.
A paradise for kids and the young at heart, Disney cruises feature everything from Mickey-themed restaurants to pirate-themed rooms, plus characters in costume and live musical productions. Make sure to pack your kid's favourite Disney character costume.
- Entertainment: Kids pool, live shows, deck parties, youth clubs, character experiences and themed nights
- Baby nurseries? Yes, nurseries are available across the whole Disney Cruise Line fleet.
- Cabin configuration: Family and two-bedroom themed state rooms.
This international cruise line has two of the world's largest ships, and with them, a wealth of interactive activity centres to keep kids busy.
Choose from theme parks, adventure centres, rock climbing walls, ice rinks and FlowRider surf machines. Royal Caribbean also hosts a free Adventure Ocean youth centre with activities appropriate for children and teenagers.
- Entertainment: DreamWorks character dining experiences, 3D movie screenings, family dining time, merry-go-rounds and zip lines
- Baby nurseries? Yes, Royal Caribbean has a dedicated nursery for babies of 6-36 months and hosts babies and tots interactive playgroup sessions.
- Cabin configuration: Family rooms available for up to eight people.
3. Carnival Cruise Line
Carnival has been in the family friendly cruise line business since 1972, so it's little wonder that it's considered one of the best for fun and entertaining cruises.
All Carnival cruises have a youth program to suit under 18s, along with Dr Seuss themed activities (so expect lots of green eggs and ham and Sam I ams on your stay!).
- Entertainment: IMAX theatre, pools and waterslides, story time activities, Seuss-a-palooza Parade, dive-in movie theatre (movies you can watch from the pool), video arcade, mini golf, sports and the SkyCourse walk
- Baby nurseries? No, however babysitting services are available for a fee.
- Cabin configuration: Family friendly state and harbour rooms available.
4. Norwegian Cruise Line
With some of the most unique children's activities at sea, including cake decorating and circus school, a Norwegian Cruise adventure is destined to be an unforgettable one.
On top of age-specific youth centres, parents have the chance to drop off the tykes at the Late Night Fun Zone or the Port Play centre when the ship is in port. This will give you that much needed time away to explore your destination hand-in-hand.
- Entertainment: Family dining, mini golf, bowling, circus and magic shows, pools and waterslides
- Baby nurseries? A Guppies Nursery is available on the Norwegian Escape. Otherwise, guppies playgroup programs are available for babies 6 months to 3 years fleet wide.
- Cabin configuration: Choose between interconnecting state rooms and family suites.
5. P&O Cruises
Please the entire family by sailing away on one of P&O's specially designed family cruises.
Each of P&O's family cruise ships feature the P&O Edge Adventure Park, which is the largest adventure park at sea. When the day is done, parents can rest up in "adults only" zones throughout the ship.
- Entertainment: Kids pools, kids clubs for all ages, playgrounds, children's tea, discos and family excursions
- Baby nurseries? Yes, there is a night nursery available for babies.
- Cabin configuration: The majority of twin cabins have an additional two beds that fold out from the ceiling.
6. MSC Cruises
As a family-owned company, MSC encourages family travel by offering free accommodation for kids under 18 on select sailings when they stay with their parents in the same cabin.
Onboard, the little ones can sign up for an age-appropriate youth club where they can meet children their own age. If they get along swimmingly, there are kids-only supervised dinners to further fuel those friendships.
- Entertainment: LEGO activities, arts and crafts, dance classes and performances, teen talent show, teen prom night and sports activities
- Nurseries for babies? Yes, a baby care service, Mini Club playground, a baby laundry service and a baby-friendly toy centre is available
- Cabin configuration: Family suites and superfamily suites for up to six guests available.
Top kid friendly tour deals and flights
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: $1,250 off electric bikes, $70 off Nintendo Switch, $30 off Logitech G PRO X Lightspeed headsets.
Best bassinets in Australia
These are the 8 best bassinets you can buy right now in Australia.
Best baby changing tables in Australia
These are the six best baby changing tables you can buy right now in Australia.
Best camping stoves in Australia
We’ve done the hard work to help you find the best camping stoves you can buy right now.
Best password managers for Mac 2021
With so many password managers available, find out how to select the best one for your Mac.
Best caravan parks in Mannum
Find the best caravan parks in Mannum and explore the heart of the Murray River.
Best caravan parks in Kalbarri, Western Australia
Base yourself moments away from the West Coast’s Kalbarri National Park.
Best double prams in Australia
These are the 7 best double prams you can buy right now in Australia.
Best tablets for kids in Australia
These are the best tablets for kids you can buy right now in Australia.
Best alarm clocks in Australia
We compared product features and read real customer reviews to find the best alarm clocks you can buy right now.
Ask an Expert