Protect your identity and finances from thieves and cybercriminals with Secure Sentinel.
Having possessions such as your wallet or mobile phone stolen, or even losing them, is a stressful experience. You have to cancel your cards, block your phone and hope that your information isn't accessed. This is where Secure Sentinel comes in. This protection provider has released a range of products to safeguard you in the event that your cards or possessions are stolen.
Secure Sentinel also has other ways of protecting you from the flow-on effects of a crime where your personal details are compromised, and can even provide insurance cover for the associated costs.Get your free credit score today
What is Secure Sentinel?
Secure Sentinel is part of the Equifax Group. Based in Sydney, Secure Sentinel employs 30 people and has 25 years of experience and provides services to 320,000 members.
Secure Sentinel also provides a range of helpful advice for those travelling, wishing to protect their mobile phone, keep their keys safe and more.
What products does it offer?
Secure Sentinel currently offers two products, SecurePlus and SecureIdentity. Both products offer mobile phone registration so if your phone is lost or stolen you can easily put a block on your account. SecurePlus and SecureIdentity also offer emergency cash advances if your wallet is lost or stolen, and global assistance 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
This is a cancellation service for cards and passports which also includes assistance with getting replacements, fraud insurance for up to $15,000 and a monitoring system which detects if your details are being traded on the Internet. You can learn more about SecurePlus here.
This product offers the same services as SecurePlus with the addition of a credit file alert service which lets you know when your credit file is being looked at and why. SecureIdentity essentially lets you know if someone is using your identity to apply for a loan or credit card.
What are some of the features and benefits of a Secure Sentinel product?
You can take advantage of the following features with both SecurePlus and SecureIdentity:
- IdentityGuard insurance, which provides up to $15,000 in cover per year to take care of costs in the event that your identity is stolen.
- IdentityWatch, which monitors the usual locations around the web where illegally obtained identity information is traded. If your details are found you'll be alerted within 24 hours and provided with recommended steps to take.
- Registration of your important documents and possessions in the event information is needed for a police report.
- Passport protection for both Australian and New Zealand passports. Your details are registered if your passport is lost or stolen, and cancellation can be organised. This service also helps in getting your passport reissued.
- Mobile phone registration, which will help Secure Sentinel temporarily block your mobile phone to stop your phone being used to make calls.
- Fraud deterrent labels, which can be placed on your items to deter thieves.
- Help with informing service providers of changes of address
- Two membership options for both individuals and households are available, with the household option offering protection for up to 10 people living at the same address.
What other products do Equifax offer?
The Equifax provides:
- Credit file checks so you can maximise your chances of being approved for new loans or credit files. This includes credit scoring, which lets you know how healthy your credit file is.
- PPSR (previously known as REVS) checks on cars to find out about their previous history including sales listing history, valuations, known odometer readings and more.
- My Insurance Passport, which is a record of your insurance-related information. This includes details of your claims, applications for insurance and enquiries made by agents of insurance companies.
- Property value reports, which include suburb value maps and sales maps.
How important is protecting your identity?
There are a few reasons why identity protection is important to keep in mind. The following stats demonstrate why it's a problem for many Australians:
- $93 million was lost by Australians as a result of targeted scams in 2012 (Source: Targeting Scams Report, 2012 – ACCC)
- 23% of Australians have experienced identity crime (Source: Veda Australian Debt Study, March 2012)
- More than 38,000 Australian passports are stolen each year (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Annual Report, 2011/2012)
Equifax is the largest data source in Australia and New Zealand and has over 40 years of experience, originally starting as the Credit Reference Association of Australia Limited. Equifax takes identity protection seriously. If looking after your identity is important to you, you may want to find out more about Equifax.