Enjoy bonus points and balance transfer offers, competitive interest rates and a range of premium features with a Citi credit card.
Citi (previously known as Citibank) has a variety of cards to suit different needs, including balance transfer credit cards, rewards and frequent flyer cards, platinum options and no annual fee and low purchase rate cards. Depending on the Citi card you choose, you can also enjoy extras such as complimentary travel insurance, purchase cover, a concierge service, exclusive offers through Visa Premium and airport lounge access. You can even get a complimentary bottle of wine when you dine and pay with your Citi credit card thanks to the Citibank Dining Program.
As well as well as credit cards, Citi offer bank accounts, home loans, personal loans and superannuation services. It is the consumer division of Citigroup, one of the largest financial services organisations in the world and was the first international bank to be granted a license to operate in Australia (in 1985).
Citi Credit Card Offer
The Citi Rewards Platinum Credit Card offers a low interest rate of 0% p.a. for 24 months on balance transfers and a reduced annual fee for the first year.
- $49 p.a. annual fee for the first year ($149 p.a. thereafter) annual fee
- 20.99% p.a. on purchases
- 0% p.a. for 24 months with 1.5% balance transfer fee on balance transfers
- Cash Advance Rate of 21.74% p.a.
- Up to 55 days interest free
- Minimum Income Requirement of $35,000 p.a.
Comparison of Citi Credit Cards
Types of credit cards from Citi
The range of Citi credit cards in Australia offers both money-saving features and lifestyle benefits to suit a variety of needs. You could consolidate and pay down debt faster with a balance transfer card, save on credit card costs with a no annual fee or low rate card and earn points for your spending with a rewards or frequent flyer card. You can also take advantage of the prestige and exclusive extras that come with Citi's platinum and super-premium cards or get competitive lending terms with a Citi line of credit.
Balance transfer credit cards
Citi provides balance transfer options to help you consolidate your existing debts, including credit card balances and personal loans. In fact, Citi is one of the only Australian credit card providers that allows you to balance transfer personal loan debt to a credit card. For more information, here is a step-by-step guide to balance transfers with Citi.
No annual fee credit cards
Choose a no annual fee credit card from Citi to keep your account costs to a minimum while still enjoying a range of competitive features and complimentary extras. You'll also be able to enjoy an interest-free period on purchases if you pay off your balance by the due date on each statement.
Rewards credit cards
The Citi Rewards range of credit cards earn points per $1 spent on most everyday purchases, with options to suit different budgets and spending habits. If you're new to rewards cards or don't spend a lot, you could start with the entry-level Citi Rewards Classic Credit Card. On the other end of the scale, there is the Citi Rewards Platinum, Citi Rewards Signature and Citi Prestige cards, which offer higher point earn rates, more perks and have annual fees to match.
Frequent flyer credit cards
Citi offers a selection of credit cards linked to the Qantas or Emirates frequent flyer programs. You can earn Qantas Points for your spending with a Citi Qantas Signature Credit Card or by opting for Citi Qantas Rewards on a Prestige card, while the Emirates Citi World Mastercard earns Skywards Miles. These cards also come with complimentary extras designed for travellers, such as travel insurance and airport lounge passes.
Platinum credit cards
Citi's range of platinum credit cards gives you access to a range of additional perks, including concierge services, Visa Premium offers and complimentary insurance. While most platinum credit cards come with high interest rates and annual fees, you can enjoy a lower purchase rate with the Citi Clear Platinum or get no annual fee for life with the Citi Simplicity.
Premium and black credit cards
The Citi Prestige Card is a super-premium credit card that's sits among black credit cards in terms of features and benefits. This type of high-end credit card has more features and perks than other Citi credit cards, but these extras come at a price. Premium credit cards generally have the highest annual fee.
Citi Ready Credit: A line of credit and a card
Although it’s not a credit card, Citi Ready Credit is a personal loan that works in a similar way. This account offers a line of credit with variable or fixed rate terms and long-term balance transfer offers. It also comes with a Visa card you can use to make purchases online and over the counter, or for cash advances if you want to withdraw money from an ATM. This means you can use the account to suit your needs and then repay whatever money you use over a flexible period of time. Once you’ve repaid the debt, you can also continue using the card. Learn more about Citi's range of personal loans here.
Benefits of banking with Citi
If you get a Citi credit card, you'll enjoy a range of unique benefits from the bank. Some of the most popular include:
A complimentary bottle of wine when you dine via Citibank Dining Program
All Citi credit cards give you complimentary access to the Citibank Dining Program, which offers a bottle of award-winning wine when you dine at partner restaurants across Australia. Just tell the waiter that you will be paying with a Citi credit card and you’ll get to select from the restaurant's range of award-winning white and red wines. Learn more about the Citi Dining Program here.
Citi bonus partners program — earn more points
If you have a Citi rewards credit card, you can earn 1 Citi Rewards Points per $1 spent when you shop with a Citi Bonus Partner. Shopping categories include travel, shopping, leisure and entertainment, with individual partners varying between states. A full list of Bonus Partners is available on the Citi website, with some examples including Europcar, Red Balloon and Park Regis Hotels.
Transfer debt from a personal loan to a balance transfer credit card
Citi is one of the only credit card providers in Australia to let you transfer your balance from a personal loan, line of credit or overdraft account to a credit card. You can also transfer a balance from another credit card, store card or charge card. This allows you to take advantage of Citi's balance transfer credit card offers to help you save money on interest and pay off your debts faster.
How to apply for a Citi credit card
If you're interested in a Citi credit card, start by comparing your credit card options to help you find one that suits your budget and needs. Once you've found the right card for you, check you meet the eligibility criteria for the card and then click "Go to Site" to be taken to a secure online application that takes about 10 minutes to complete. You should have a response about the status of your application within minutes of completing and submitting the form.
Information needed for a Citi credit card application
Speed up the application process and improve your chances of success by getting the following details and documents ready before you start:
- Personal details. Your full name, date of birth, contact telephone numbers, your residential address and your previous residential address if you’ve recently moved.
- Employment details. This includes your role, salary, length of time you've been with your current employer and your employer's contact details. You may also be asked to submit recent payslips as supporting documentation. If you’re self-employed, you may need to provide your accountant’s contact information and recent tax statements.
- Financial information. Your income, details of any assets you own and contact details for your employer. You’ll need to list your liabilities and expenses like information about any other credit cards, loans, child support payments and information about expenses like your food budget. If you want to transfer a balance to a Citi credit card, you’ll need to provide the account number of the account you want to transfer from and the amount you want to transfer.
What happens next?
If Citi needs any further information, a representative will get in touch to let you know. Make sure all your contact details are correct on your application and be sure to check your email's junk mail or spam folder for relevant communication. You can also call Citi to get an update on the status of your application.
Once your application is approved, you may need to go through an identification check if you're a new Citi customer. This usually involves providing copies of official documents such as your driver's licence or passport. After that, you'll be able to receive, activate and start using your new Citi credit card.
Frequently asked questions about Citi credit cards
How long does it take to apply for a Citi credit card?
Once you’ve compared credit cards from Citi and you’re ready apply, click on ‘go to site’ and you will be directed to a secure online application on the Citi website. The online application should only take about ten minutes to complete if you have all the necessary information on hand to assist with your application.
After you complete the application and submit it to Citi, you should have a response within 60 seconds.
How do I check on the status of my credit card application?
After you’ve hit send in your application, Citi will send you an email on address you provided in your credit card application. This email will contain your 13-digit application reference number. If you want to find out about how long it’s going to take to get your credit card, you can give Citi a call. Quote your application reference number and a Citi representative will be able to have a look at your application. If you didn’t receive an email from Citi following the submission of your application, they should be able to search for your application using your first and last names.
How can I repay my Citi credit card?
You can make a repayment to your Citi credit card or account in person by visiting a Citi branch. You can also repay your account using the following methods.
- Electronic funds transfer. You can transfer funds directly to your Citi credit account from a linked account using your Citi internet banking facility. A linked account can be your Citi transaction or savings account. You can’t transfer from another Citi credit card or Citi Ready Credit account. You can also complete the funds transfer using CitiPhone Self Service Banking.You can also transfer funds from any bank account in Australia that’s registered for internet banking. You can complete the transfer using the following information:
- The Citi BSB Number: 242 200.
- Your 16-digit credit card / account number.
- Pay by cheque. Pay your credit card by mailing a cheque to Citi at GPO Box 749F. Melbourne. VIC 8105. Make the cheque payable to your Citi account number and write the account type as well so it reads Citi Platinum Credit Card XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX for example. Write the account number of the back of the cheque, too.Include your remittance advice and monthly statement with the cheque in the envelope. If you pay by cheque, allow up to six business days from when the cheque is received for the funds to show in your account.
- BPAY payments.You can pay your Citi account statement using BPAY over the phone or from your online banking facility.
- Enter the Citi BPAY biller code: 49502.
- Your customer reference number is your 16-digit account number.
- Easi-Pay. Easi-Pay allows you to set up an automatic debit to your Citi account each statement period. Make sure you have enough money in the account so the funds can be debited and you’ll never pay a late payment fee again.
Can I increase my credit limit?
You can apply for a higher credit limit once you’ve had your Citi credit card for nine months. The application for a higher credit limit will be approved if Citi deem you able to service the increased limit.
To apply for a credit limit increase:
- Log onto your Citi online banking facility and request a credit limit increase by choosing the credit limit increase option from the account services menu.
- Call Citi on 13 CITI (13 24 84).
- Download, complete and submit a credit limit increase form from the Citi website.
If you apply for a credit limit increase online, and you’re approved, the new limit is effective right away. If you apply for an increased limit using any of the other methods mentioned, allow 6 – 10 business days for your application to be processed.
The following regulations must be observed when you apply for a higher credit limit.
- Your account must be open for nine months before you can request a credit limit increase.
- Only one credit limit increase application every 6 months.
- You can only increase your limit by 50% of your current credit limit.
- Citi cardholders in the ACT must apply for an increased credit limit in writing.
- You can only increase your limit up to the maximum credit limit on a particular product. You can find information about the maximum credit limit listed on our Citi credit card review and application pages.
How can I add an additional cardholder to my Citi credit card account?
Citi give you the option of adding additional cards to your account for family members to use. Some Citi credit cards allow you to add up to four additional cards to your account. Check our review and application pages to find out how many additional cardholders you can add to your Citi account.
You can add an additional cardholder to your account through your Citi online banking facility.
- Log on to Citi online banking and go to the account services section and choose the additional card option.
You can also request an additional card by giving Citi a call or you can download and complete an additional cardholder request form, which is available from the Citi website.
What happens if my card is lost or stolen?
If you lose your Citi credit card, or it’s stolen, speak to Citi by giving a customer service representative call on 13 24 84. They’re open 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Your card will be blocked and arrangements will be made to get you a replacement card. Replacement credit cards are usually issued within 5 working days. A Citi representative will have a look at recent activity on the account to make sure there is no unauthorised use on your account.
Do I have to pay anything extra to join the Citi Rewards Program?
If you have a Citi rewards credit card, you’re automatically enrolled in the Citi Rewards Program when you activate your credit card. There are no additional fees or charges for joining the Citi Rewards Program.
How do I find out how many Citi Rewards Points I have?
You can view your Citi Rewards Points balance by logging on to the website, downloading and logging in to the Citi Mobile Banking Application, calling Citi on 13 24 84 or by viewing your monthly credit card statement — you rewards points earning for the statement period is displayed here too.
Do my Citi Rewards Points expire?
As long as you keep your Citi credit card account open, and in good standing, your Citi Rewards Points will not expire.
Is there a cap on the number of Citi Rewards Points I can earn?
Different Citi credit cards have a different limits on the number of Citi Rewards Points you can earn in a year.
|Citi Rewards Classic Credit Card||5,000|
|Citi Rewards Platinum Credit Card||10,000|
|Citi Rewards Signature Credit Card||Domestic: per statement period International: No cap|
|Emirates Citi World Mastercard||$1 spend within Australia earns 1 Mile (up to $3,000 per statement period), and 0.5 Skywards Miles per $1 spent thereafter (up to $10,000 per statement period).|
|Citi Prestige Card||No cap|
What can I use my points for?
Citi Rewards Points can be redeemed for a variety of rewards including flights, frequent flyer points, merchandise, cashback or gift cards. You can view your options for redeeming Citi Rewards Points on the Citi Rewards website. You can also use your Citi Rewards Points to pay for your Citi credit card annual fee.
How do I redeem my Citi points?
You can redeem your Citi Rewards Points online through the Citi website. After browsing through the Citi Rewards catalogue, select the reward(s) you want to redeem and log in to your account. You can also redeem your points for gifts and services over the phone by calling 13 24 84.
You can also use Points + Pay if you don’t have enough Citi Rewards Points to get the item or service you want. The money required to make up the difference is debited from your available credit on your Citi credit card.
Who can redeem my points?
The primary cardholder and additional cardholders can redeem Citi Rewards Points. If you want to transfer frequent flyer points accrued with a Citi credit card, you must be the primary cardholder of the credit card.