Comparing the global lender that provides some of the most competitive credit card offers on market. Receive the best in class with bonus points, travel, rewards, balance transfers and competitive interest rates.
Citi is one of the world’s largest banks and has been in Australia since 1985. Since then, Citi have become a staple name in Australian banking. As well as credit cards, Citi offer bank accounts, home loans and personal loans. They’re also an issuer of superannuation services.
Citi credit cards strike a good balance between money-saving features and lifestyle perks. You can save on a balance transfer offer and also save on wine when you dine out. They have a card to match most people’s budgets. Citi have competitively priced products in the no annual fee, rewards, frequent flyer and premium credit card categories.
Citi Credit Card Offer
The Citi Rewards Platinum Credit Card offers a low interest rate of 0% p.a. for 24 months on balance transfers and a reduced annual fee for the first year.
- $49 p.a. annual fee for the first year ($149 p.a. thereafter) annual fee
- 20.99% p.a. on purchases
- 0% p.a. for 24 months with 1.5% balance transfer fee on balance transfers
- Cash Advance Rate of 21.74% p.a.
- Up to 55 days interest free
- Minimum Income Requirement of $35,000 p.a.
Comparison of Citi Credit Cards
Rates last updated January 22nd, 2017.
- Emirates Citi World MasterCard
40k bonus points offer extended until 30 June 2017 + 10k bonus points if you meet the minimum spend
December 19th, 2016
- Citi Rewards Credit Card - Platinum Card
0% p.a. for 24 months balance transfer offer has been extended until 30 April 2017.
January 12th, 2017
- Citi Rewards Credit Card - Classic Card
BT period changed from 12 to 15 months plus new offer of $50 cash back, valid until 30 June 2017.
January 13th, 2017
What are the types of Citi credit cards?
Compared to other lenders, Citi offer fewer low fee and low rate products, and more rewards and premium products. Citi's Ready Credit is the lender’s cheap credit proposition. This product can be used to pay off the balance of another account or it can be used like a personal loan with fixed repayments. The Citi Reward Credit Card also deserves a nod for versatility, catering to cardholders who just want rewards through to customers who want the rewards as well as all the bells and whistles.
Balance transfer credit cards
Citi provides balance transfer options to help you consolidate your existing debts including personal loans and credit card balances. Compare the balance transfer cards on offer and start saving money today with Citi. For more information, here are the step-by-step guide to balance transfers with Citi.
No annual fee credit cards
Most no annual fee account holders just want the plastic as these cards are great to use for emergencies. Pay off what you spend and take advantage of interest-free days and it won’t cost you a thing to own.
Rewards credit cards
The Citi Rewards range of credit cards caters to all budgets. The Citi Rewards Card – Classic is a great entry-level rewards product that won’t cost the earth. On the other end of the scale are the Rewards Card – Platinum and Rewards Card – Signature.
Frequent flyer credit cards
Citi offer a couple of direct earn frequent flyer products. Eligible spending on these cards will automatically earn points for the linked frequent flyer account. This is great for big spenders who want to rack up points on purchases.
Platinum credit cards
Platinum credit cards are no longer the king of the castle. There are a number of premium and super premium credit cards that offer more than a platinum product (with the price tag to match). But platinum credit cards are still a good value proposition for people who want a card that sits somewhere between standard and premium products.
Premium credit cards
Prestige’ is Citi’s brand for a premium credit card product. This type of high-end credit card has more features and perks than other Citi credit cards, but these extras come at a price. Premium credit cards generally have the highest annual fee.
Although it’s not a credit card, Citi Ready Credit is a personal loan that works in a similar way. You receive a card with an account that you can use to make purchases online, spend over the counter and withdraw money from an ATM. Account holders will receive a Visa debit that has the competitive interest rates of a personal loan with the flexibility of a credit card. You can use the account how you choose and then repay the amount you’ve used. Once you’ve repaid the debt, you can continue using the card. Learn more about Citi's range of personal loans here.
Compare Citi Transaction Accounts
The benefits of banking with Citi
Citi credit card account holders get access to benefits that only Citi can provide. You can read about some of these exclusive benefits below:
Citi dining program — free wine when you dine
You can get a bottle of award-winning wine when you dine at Citi partner restaurants (here's a list of Citi Dining Program Restaurants in Sydney). Tell the waiter that you will be paying with a Citi credit card and you’ll get to select from the restaurant's range of award-winning white and red wines. Learn more about the Citi Dining Program here.
Citi bonus partners program — earn more points
If you have a Citi rewards credit card, you can earn an extra three Citi Rewards Points per dollar spent when you shop at a Citi Bonus Partner.
Balance transfers — transfer from a personal loan
Citi are only one of a couple of credit card providing institutions that let you transfer the balance from a personal loan, line of credit or overdraft account to one of their credit cards. You can also transfer a balance from a credit card, store card or charge card.
How to apply for a Citi credit card
You can apply for a Citi credit card by, first, comparing your credit card options. Once you've found the right card for you, check you meet the eligibility criteria for the card and then click 'Go to Site'.
Information needed for a Citi credit card application
If you can provide basic information about yourself and your finances, an online Citi credit card application will only take about 10 minutes to complete. You should have a response about the status of your application within minutes of completing and submitting the form. You'll need the following information:
- Personal details. Your full name, date of birth, contact telephone numbers, your residential address and your previous residential address if you’ve recently moved.
- Financial information. Your income, details of any assets you own and contact details for your employer. You’ll need to list your liabilities and expenses like information about any other credit cards, loans, child support payments and information about expenses like your food budget. If you’re self-employed, you may also need to provide your accountant’s contact information. If you want to transfer a balance to a Citi credit card, you’ll need to provide the account number of the account you want to transfer from and the amount you want to transfer.
What happens next?
If Citi needs any further information, they will make contact via the telephone number you have provided. If you are an employed individual, it will help speed the process along if you forewarn your payroll people that Citi will be requesting confirmation of your income.
If you are brand new customer with Citi, before you can be finally approved for a Citi credit card, you will need to go through an identity verification process, as mandated by the Australian government. You will need to take the appropriate supporting documents into a Citi branch so that a Citi representative can confirm both your identity and any further information you provided online.
Frequently asked questions
How long does it take to apply for a Citi credit card?
Once you’ve compared credit cards from Citibank and you’re ready apply, click on ‘go to site’ and you will be directed to a secure online application on the Citibank website. The online application should only take about ten minutes to complete if you have all the necessary information on hand to assist with your application.
After you complete the application and submit it to Citibank, you should have a response within 60 seconds.
How do I check on the status of my credit card application?
After you’ve hit send in your application, Citibank will send you an email on address you provided in your credit card application. This email will contain your 13-digit application reference number. If you want to find out about how long it’s going to take to get your credit card, you can give Citibank a call. Quote your application reference number and a Citibank representative will be able to have a look at your application. If you didn’t receive an email from Citibank following the submission of your application, they should be able to search for your application using your first and last names.
How can I repay my Citi credit card?
You can make a repayment to your Citi credit card or account in person by visiting a Citibank branch. You can also repay your account using the following methods.
- Electronic funds transfer.You can transfer funds directly to your Citi credit account from a linked account using your Citibank internet banking facility. A linked account can be your Citibank transaction or savings account. You can’t transfer from another Citi credit card or Citi Ready Credit account. You can also complete the funds transfer using CitiPhone Self Service Banking.You can also transfer funds from any bank account in Australia that’s registered for internet banking. You can complete the transfer using the following information:
- The Citibank BSB Number: 242 200.
- Your 16 digit credit card / account number.
- Pay by chequePay your credit card by mailing a cheque to Citibank at GPO Box 749F. Melbourne. VIC 8105.Make the cheque payable to your Citibank account number and write the account type as well so it reads Citi Platinum Credit Card XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX for example. Write the account number of the back of the cheque, too.Include your remittance advice and monthly statement with the cheque in the envelope.If you pay by cheque, allow up to six business days from when the cheque is received for the funds to show in your account.
- BPAY payments.You can pay your Citibank account statement using BPAY over the phone or from your online banking facility.
- Enter the Citibank BPAY biller code: 49502.
- Your customer reference number is your 16 digit account number.
- Easi-Pay.Easi-Pay allows you to set up an automatic debit to your Citibank account each statement period. Make sure you have enough money in the account so the funds can be debited and you’ll never pay a late payment fee again.
Can I increase my credit limit?
You can apply for a higher credit limit once you’ve had your Citi credit card for nine months. The application for a higher credit limit will be approved if Citibank deem you able to service the increased limit.
To apply for a credit limit increase:
- Log onto your Citibank online banking facility and request a credit limit increase by choosing the credit limit increase option from the account services menu.
- Call Citibank on 13 CITI (13 24 84).
- Download, complete and submit a credit limit increase form from the Citibank website.
If you apply for a credit limit increase online, and you’re approved, the new limit is effective right away. If you apply for an increased limit using any of the other methods mentioned, allow 6 – 10 business days for your application to be processed.
The following regulations must be observed when you apply for a higher credit limit.
- Your account must be open for nine months before you can request a credit limit increase.
- Only one credit limit increase application every 6 months.
- You can only increase your limit by 50% of your current credit limit.
- Citibank cardholders in the ACT must apply for an increased credit limit in writing.
- You can only increase your limit up to the maximum credit limit on a particular product. You can find information about the maximum credit limit listed on our Citi credit card review and application pages.
How can I add an additional cardholder to my Citi credit card account?
Citibank give you the option of adding additional cards to your account for family members to use. Some Citi credit cards allow you to add up to four additional cards to your account. Check our review and application pages to find out how many additional cardholders you can add to your Citibank account.
You can add an additional cardholder to your account through your Citibank online banking facility.
- Log on to Citibank online banking and go to the account services section and choose the additional card option.
You can also request an additional card by giving Citibank a call or you can download and complete an additional cardholder request form, which is available from the Citibank website.
What happens if my card is lost or stolen?
If you lose your Citi credit card, or it’s stolen, speak to Citibank by giving a customer service representative call on 13 24 84. They’re open 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Your card will be blocked and arrangements will be made to get you a replacement card. Replacement credit cards are usually issued within 5 working days. A Citibank representative will have a look at recent activity on the account to make sure there is no unauthorised use on your account.
Do I have to pay anything extra to join the Citi Rewards Program?
If you have a Citibank rewards credit card, you’re automatically enrolled in the Citibank Rewards Program when you activate your credit card. There are no additional fees or charges for joining the Citibank Rewards Program.
How do I find out how many Citi Rewards Points I have?
You can view your Citibank Rewards Points balance by logging on to the website, downloading and logging in to the Citibank Mobile Banking Application, calling Citibank on 13 24 84 or by viewing your monthly credit card statement — you rewards points earning for the statement period is displayed here too.
Do my Citi Rewards Points expire?
As long as you keep your Citi credit card account open, and in good standing, your Citibank Rewards Points will not expire.
Is there a cap on the number of Citi Rewards Points I can earn?
Different Citi credit cards have a different limits on the number of Citibank Rewards Points you can earn in a year.
|Citi Rewards Credit Card – Classic||60,000|
|Citi Rewards Credit Card – Platinum||250,000|
|Citi Rewards Credit Card – Signature||No cap|
|Emirates Citi World Card||No cap|
|Citi Prestige Card||No cap|
What can I use my points for?
Citibank Rewards can be redeemed for flights, electronics, cashback and gift cards to name a few redemption options. You can view your options for redeeming Citibank Rewards Points on the Citibank Rewards website.
You can also use your Citibank Rewards Points to pay for your Citi credit card annual fee.
How do I redeem my Citi points?
You can redeem your Citibank Rewards Points online through the Citibank website. After browsing through the Citibank Rewards catalogue, select the reward(s) you want to redeem and log in to your account. You can also redeem your points for gifts and services over the phone by calling 13 24 84.
You can also use Points + Pay if you don’t have enough Citibank Rewards Points to get the item or service you want. The money required to make up the difference is debited from your available credit on your Citi credit card.
Who can redeem my points?
The primary cardholder and additional cardholders can redeem Citibank Rewards Points. If you want to transfer frequent flyer points accrued with a Citi credit card, you must be the primary cardholder of the credit card.