With no international transaction fees, $0 annual fee and 24/7 worldwide concierge, the 28 Degrees MasterCard is designed for travellers and internet shoppers.
With no overseas cash withdrawal fees, a 24-hour online service centre and no annual fees, the 28 Degrees MasterCard could offer you peace of mind and financial security on your next overseas trip. If you're more of an online shopper than a frequent traveller, you could also take advantage of the no currency conversion fees, no international transaction fees and fraud protection when making purchases with overseas merchants online.
What is the 28 Degrees MasterCard?
Originally known as the Wizard Clear Advantage card, the card has since gone through a transformation. Essentially, the 28 Degrees Mastercard is a credit card designed for overseas use and online foreign transactions.
The features and benefits of the 28 Degrees MasterCard
Enjoy up to 55 days interest free on purchases when you pay your account in full by the due date each month, with cash advance interest charged from the date of withdrawal. For the first 6 months, cardholders are offered a 4.99% p.a. interest rate from account opening on balances transferred - this then reverts back to a 21.99% p.a. interest rate for all purchases.
You can also enjoy the benefits of Mastercard Paypass and make contactless transactions with their security chip for purchases under $100.
- Tip: Preload funds onto the card to avoid interest charges.
Rates and fees of the 28 Degrees MasterCard
|Type of fees||Charges/ cost|
|Cash advance fee||3% of the cash advance or $4 (whichever is greater)|
|International transaction fee||3% of the cash advance or $4 (whichever is greater)|
|Variable interest rate on purchases||21.99% p.a.|
|Interest-free days||Up to 55 days|
|Late payment fee||$20|
Who would this credit card be suited to?
To be eligible for this card, you need to be at least 18 years of age and a permanent resident in Australia. Travellers may benefit from this credit card due to the fact that there are no international fees included. If you travel frequently then you could potentially save on fees, spending your money for more important things.
How can I pay my balance?
There are several ways to pay your balance off.
- In person. If you choose this option you will need to make the payment at Australia Post outlets. You will be charged a fee of $2 every time that you make a payment if you do choose this option.
- Direct debit. If you worry that you will forget your monthly payments then direct debit could be an option. The payments will be made automatically on the date that you specify. The only time that you will be contacted is if your payment is not accepted. This will only happen if you do not have sufficient funds in your account to cover the repayments.
- BPay. This is a really popular option as you can make your payment any time that is convenient for you. The only thing that you need to be aware of is the fact that the payment will only be processed during your banks hours.This means that you will need to make the payments as early as possible to ensure that they arrive on time. If you do use this option then you will need to quote your account number and the 28 Degrees MasterCard Biller Code.
- Mail. You can send a money order or cheque to the headquarters in Melbourne. You can find the address on the 28 Degrees MasterCard website. You will also need to send the payment slip that can be found at the bottom of your statement. Never send cash through the post. Only send a cheque or money order.
How safe is MasterCard PayPass?
The MasterCard PayPass is potentially the safest feature on the card. Due to the fact that you can just tap and go, you don’t have to worry about anybody else seeing your pin number. You also don’t need to worry about anybody watching you do your signature or about fraud chip and pin machines. Your details will be 100% safe. The only time you would need to worry is if you lose your card or if it is stolen. You can easily cancel the card as soon as you find out that it is missing. The fact that it is also tracked by a fraud service 24 hours a day means that any strange transactions will be monitored. If your card is stolen simply ring up the customer services department.
Do I need a PIN for the card?
Yes. You will automatically receive a PIN when you are given your credit card. However, to make it easier for you, it is possible to change the PIN whenever you like. This means that you can change it to something more memorable. However, it is advised against using birthdays or year of birth. These numbers are really easy to guess. It is also recommended that you change your number regularly to keep your account even more secure. You can easily change the PIN just by ringing the telephone number which you can find on the website. From there you just follow the instructions and enter your new code. It really is that simple. There is no need to visit an ATM or speak to anybody directly. You can choose to pay using your PIN or you can choose to sign the card if you would prefer to. Or, you can also choose to pay using the MasterCard PayPass feature. Whichever way you feel the most comfortable you can choose.
Fraud security and transaction disputes
How does the 28 Degrees team at GE protect me?
GE aims to protect its customers by employing some of the most efficient people, technology and processes available. Following are some of the methods the company uses to ensure your safety:
- Robust card security measures. Total security and fraud protection thanks to robust card security measures that are on your 28 Degrees MasterCard as well as when you shop or access your account;
- Chip protection. This card comes with a chip that offers a higher level of protection absent fraud since it is much harder to copy your personal information if you lose your card or it is stolen;
- Fraud management. Using the Falcon fraud management system, the 28 Degrees team is able to identify transactions that are not within your normal spending patterns. Once such a transaction is noticed, card security experts are informed so they can review it and take whatever measures they think appropriate;
- Protecting you against identity theft. The company is very careful with customer applications and all of them are assessed for potential identity theft.
What can I do to reduce the chances of fraud?
Below are a few important measures you can implement to reduce the risk of fraud:
- Sign your card as soon as you get it and always make sure you know where it is.
- Choose a PIN that only you will find easy to remember and make sure to never record it anywhere.
- Look over your account statements on a regular basis to make no unauthorised transactions have been performed.
- If you think an EFTPOS terminal or an ATM has been tampered with, avoid using the machine.
- If your card has expired or you don't want it anymore, don't just throw it out. First cut through the magnetic strip and the signature panel.
- Always make sure you have your card with you.
If you plan on travelling overseas, the issuer recommends that you contact them to inform them of your travel plans so they can update their systems and you can avoid having your transactions blocked.
What to do about transaction disputes?
It's not unusual for a transaction dispute to be caused by a misunderstanding, which is why you should consider certain situations and if they apply to your case before getting in touch with the merchant or the 28 Degrees team to file a dispute:
- I don't know what company is on my statement or I didn't authorise the transaction. You might find that the name of the store is different to the name of the actual company and this happens quite a lot with online stores. If you don't know what the description is for, you can run a search online and will be able to find out right away what the company does or sells. You should also check with other people who might hold cards on the same account whether they made the purchase or not. Also, make sure to look at the amount as this might jog your memory.
- The goods I got aren't as they were described. First, see what the return policy of the merchant is, which should clearly be displayed. If shopping in a brick-and-mortar store, make sure that you check the items thoroughly before completing the transaction. Whenever it's possible, make sure the items are described in detail on the invoice before you pay.
- I didn't get the goods or the service wasn't performed. Have another look at the estimated time of arrival of the items because you can't file a dispute if the date hasn't passed. If you made a purchase of items from abroad, consider that the items may have been confiscated by Australian customs. In fact, before you buy anything overseas, make sure you are fully aware of Australian customs regulations, which you can learn more about from the Australian Customs website. Always make sure to get written confirmation of the estimated date of delivery whenever you are having goods shipped to you, whether domestically or from abroad.
- The amount on my statement isn't the same as my receipt. This often occurs when you bought something abroad or the merchant is from overseas. Currency rates fluctuate daily, so the amount you pay could be different based on the date of the purchase.
- I don't remember buying anything on the date my statement indicates. Firstly, look at the amount you spent, as it may jog your memory. It's not unusual for there to be a delay between the actual date of purchase and the day the transaction shows up on your account. Also, check with any additional cardholders as they may have made the purchase.
If none of these scenarios apply and you are still uncertain about one or more of the transactions on your account, then contact the 28 Degrees team immediately so they can open an investigation and block your card if necessary.
Am I liable for unauthorised transactions on my account?
You have a money back guarantee, which means you will not be considered responsible as long as you did not do anything to contribute to the loss and informed the 28 Degrees team right away.
Understanding MasterCard SecureCode
MasterCard SecureCode is a new security system designed to protect you while you are shopping online. It is an additional form of verification that helps reduce the risk of credit card fraud and unauthorised transactions. The system provides an additional layer of protection by requiring you to confirm your identity via a security code or security questions when performing certain online transactions.
The 28 Degrees MasterCard features this system, giving you additional security so you can rest easy knowing that you are completely safe when making purchases from merchants participating in the program.
How does MasterCard SecureCode work?
MasterCard SecureCode conducts a risk evaluation in real-time on any transactions you make with a participating online retailer. In most situations, you won't realise any changes have taken place but for some transactions you may be required to enter a security code comprised of six-characters, which you will receive instantly by SMS. This is to make sure that you are, in fact, authorising the transaction that is about to be made.
What kind of protection does MasterCard SecureCode offer?
When you are you are buying something online from a participating merchant and you enter the security code correctly or provide the correct answers to the security questions, this confirms that you are the real cardholder and are authorising the transaction, which means the purchase can continue. However, if the wrong answers are provided to the security questions or the wrong code is entered, the transaction will be terminated without going through. In other words, even if someone managed to get hold of your card number, they still couldn't use it with a participating merchant.
What effect will MasterCard SecureCode have on my purchase?
Besides the additional protection you receive with MasterCard SecureCode, the only effect on your purchases is that you will need to fill in the security code or provide answers to the security questions when the authentication screen pops up. You then need to wait for a few seconds for the company that issued your card, Latitude Financial Services in this case, to confirm that you are who you say you are.
What if I want to buy something from a site that accepts MasterCard but is not a MasterCard SecureCode participant?
You can still make purchases from merchants that are not part of the MasterCard SecureCode program, but you will not have to enter a security code or provide answers to the security questions. All you have to do to complete your transaction is go through the normal system. Of course, you should seriously consider sticking to participating merchants, especially if it's a merchant you've never purchased anything from before.
Why did a MasterCard SecureCode screen just pop up?
This screen is the authentication window, which might show up when you are making online purchases from merchants who participate in the MasterCard SecureCode program. Once you have entered the right security coder or provided the correct answers to the security questions, you will have confirmed your identity and will be able to finish the transaction.
What do I do if I don't get a security code?
If the security code doesn't reach you, this could mean that the mobile number you've listed on your account is not valid. You can still continue with your transaction by choosing 'I didn't receive a code', which will send you to a different areas where you will be asked security questions that are specific to you and your account. Once you've given the right answers to these questions, you will be able to finish your transaction.
How can I make sure my mobile number is valid?
To ensure that your mobile number is correct and up to date, you can check using your online account.
Is it possible to complete my purchase without providing confirmation of my identity?
If you can't enter the right security code or answer the security questions correctly and thus prove your identity, you will be unable to complete your transaction.
Self-managing your account information and checking the status of your account
How does the 28 Degrees MasterCard Online Service Centre help me?
The Online Service Centre offers you access to a variety of resources that makes it easier for you to manage your account. For example, you can convert to eStatements, which means you will get eStatement payment alerts before the due date, helping you save money on late fees. Furthermore, you'll also save money as you won't have to pay paper statement fees anymore.
You can also self-manage your account information and monitor the status of your account at all times, including your transactions and credit limit. You can also opt to receive payment confirmations and a variety of other alerts at any time.
Registering an Online Service Account - How can I get one?
All you have to do is register on the company website. It will only take approximately five minutes but it would be a good idea to have your latest statement on hand as you will need some of the information for the questions in the registration process.
New information on your statement
- My statement features new information pertaining to making larger payments than the minimum monthly payment required. Is it alright if I keep paying the minimum?
Sometimes, making the minimum only payment can be a useful facility and it can really help when cash is tight. However, it's only an effective strategy for the short-term because you aren't really doing much to reduce your balance. All you're doing is meeting the contractual obligations of the card and avoiding paying a late fee.Conversely, you are accruing interest so you really need a strategy to reduce your balance as quickly as possible, which will help you save quite a bit of money.
- How can the new section on my statement called 'Managing Your Repayment' help me?
Managing Your Repayments provides you with a monthly glimpse of what your account would look like if you continued to make minimum payments but stopped charging purchases to your card. It will also provide you with important details like how much money you can save in the long term and how much faster you can pay off your card if you are able to make payments that are higher than the minimum each month.
Applying for and activating a 28 Degrees MasterCard
What conditions do I have to meet to be eligible for a 28 Degrees MasterCard?
As with any application you file for a credit card, a credit check will be conducted to ensure that you are the right person to receive this credit card. This is because the issuer wants to prevent providing credit to people who can’t afford it and fraud. While they take numerous factors into account, they prefer not to disclose the exact criteria, claiming they will inform the applicant in writing if their application was declined.
Of course, having a strong financial position, stable employment and a good credit history can only help your chances of receiving approval for this credit card.
Can you tell me how much credit I will get?
There is no way to inform you of your credit limit before you file your application and are approved. This is because credit limits differ from one person to the next and the information contained within your application will help the lender determine how much credit they can offer you. If you get approval, your welcome pack will provide you with all the information you need, including your credit limit.
Can I link the 28 Degrees MasterCard to my mortgage?
No, this credit card wasn’t designed to be linked to a mortgage, so if that’s what you require, you might consider other options.
Is it possible to add another person to my account?
If you want a family member, your partner or a friend to take advantage of the convenience and all the other benefits the 28 Degrees MasterCard provides, you can get up to 9 additional cards for free linked to the same account.
And you can easily keep track of shopping and expenses because all itemised transactions are available on the one statement you get every month. Note that any person you wish to issue an additional card for must have their identity verified at Australia Post.
How long will it take to get an answer regarding my application if I applied online?
In most cases, you will receive a response within 60 seconds.
If I applied online and I was approved, how long will it take for me to get my card?
From the moment you receive your approval, it will take around 10 working days for your card to get to you.
How long will it take to get an answer if I applied via mail?
If you mail in your application, it will take around 10 working days for you to get a written answer from the moment the application was received.
How long will it take to get my card if I applied by mail and was approved?
If your application was approved, your card as well as the contract documentation will arrive in 10 working days from the date of approval.
Is it possible to apply in person for the 28 Degrees MasterCard?
No, you can only apply online or via mail. If the latter is your choice, you can print out the application from their website. If you have further questions, call customer service and they will provide you with further guidance. The number is on their website.
Will I be able to use my card as soon as it arrives?
You first need to activate your card before you can use it, which is simply a safety measure for the lender to ensure the card has reached the right person. To activate your card, simply call customer service and follow the instructions. The whole process won’t take longer than 5 minutes. Also, for further protection, make sure to sign your card right away.
How long does the balance transfer rate apply for?
The introductory balance transfer rate applies for the first six months after you’ve opened your account. If you have any amounts left over on your balance transfer after this period is up, you will have to pay the purchase interest rate, which is pretty high. This is why it is advisable you focus on clearing your balance transfer within the first six months, which will all you to maximise your savings.
Frequently asked questions
How is the foreign exchange rate worked out?
What is the maximum balance transfer amount?
Are there really no international transaction fees?
What is the cash withdrawal limit on this card?
Note that you might have a smaller cash limit on your card but details pertaining to your credit limit are available on your most recent statement.