Couples look forward to a second honeymoon as soon as possible
It's "us time" as soon as the kids are old enough.
Carnival Cruises conducted a survey of more than 1,000 Australian couples with children age 13 or older, and came to the conclusion that parents just wanna have fun.
90% wanted to do more travelling with their partner, 76% said they miss the fun times they used to have, and more than a third put it all together and said a child-free holiday would help them rekindle the romance.
The first honeymoon is right after the wedding, and the second might come when the kids are finally old enough to take care of themselves.
Most parents probably won't come right out and say they want to ditch the kids, but the numbers don't lie. Over the last four years Carnival Cruises has seen an 80% increase in the number of older couples going sans-children on a cruise vacation. So many, that it's starting dubbing them "honeyboomers." For a family-fun oriented cruise line, this increase is quite the feat.
One in three Australians wish they spent more on their honeymoon, so maybe a do-over is exactly what honeyboomers are looking for.
Sorry kids, adults only
With the honeyboomer coming up as the next big thing, Carnival might join other cruise lines in offering adults-only cruises and onboard getaways. Others have never strayed from this path in the first place. The erudite Fred. Olsen, for example, has always been about relaxed and civilised cruises on European waterways, polar seas and other more interesting destinations.
Overall, honeyboomers probably can't go wrong by treading the same paths as honeymooners. These trips are made to spark romance, and once the kids are out of the way they can probably rekindle the fire just as easily.
- See what you'll find at the top ten honeymoon destinations in Australia
- Check out eight cruise lines that really know how to treat couples
- Save up to 40% with Princess Cruises with Great Escape Sale
- Save up to $500 per cabin with this Carnival Cruise sale
- Snap up to 60% off second guests on Royal Caribbean cruises
- Score balcony upgrades and $200 on board credit with Princess Cruises
- P&O 7-Day Cruise Sale: Spend a week on the seas for just $529
Follow us for all the latest deals and coupon codes