8 romantic countries like Italy overflowing with culture
Say buongiorno to these romantic countries that will remind you of Italy.
Fringed by a sweeping Mediterranean coastline and steeped in an ancient history that comes to life through some of the most well-kept ruins in the world, Italy is a land of majesty, history and beauty.
Its rugged Tuscan Coast is the kind of thing that chick-lit was made for. Take Nights in Tuscany, for example. Then, let’s not forget how we were all salivating over Neapolitan cuisine after speeding our way through Eat, Pray, Love.
If you’re hungry for more but are craving a different slice of pizza, these countries have that romantic Mediterranean atmosphere, Roman ruins and homestyle meals that can satisfy. Dig in.
The countries like Italy we've totally fallen in love with
Think of Spain as Italy’s more exotic cousin and you’ll be right on the mark.
With its hot Iberian climate, sexy accents and Moorish influences, Spain has a similar romantic undertone to Italy with a more colourful history. Its cities are dotted with domed churches and its streets buzz with life. Like many European countries, Italy helped shape it and Roman ruins can be found throughout.
- Top three cities to visit: Madrid, Barcelona and San Sebastian.
- Must-visit Roman ruins: The city of Merida houses the most Roman ruins of any Spanish city. It features a Roman theatre, amphitheatre, bridge and aqueduct.
Check the price of flights to Spain
World-renowned wines aren’t the only thing France and Italy have in common, but it’s a good start.
Once the wine has stopped flowing you’ll start to notice more similarities between these countries. Both have a deep-set Christian history which shows in their landscapes of cathedrals and churches, both have a lifestyle of fashion and flair which can be found in cities like Monaco and Milan, and both are the epitome of romance. Paris or Venice? You decide.
- Top three cities to visit: Paris, Nice and Marseille.
- Must-visit Roman ruins: The city of Nimes features a well-preserved Corinthian temple, amphitheatre and Temple of Diana.
Check the price of flights to France
Where ruins meet the sea is where you’ll find Greece.
Boasting ancient architectural wonders and a Mediterranean coastline, Greece is a melting pot of history and captivating natural landscapes. While it has retained many of its own Greek ruins, some are Roman in disguise.
- Top three places to visit: Santorini, Thessaloniki and Mykonos.
- Must-visit Roman ruins: The ancient city of Corinth has a mix of Roman and Greek ruins.
Check the price of flights to Greece
A seemingly endless coastline of azure waters and sun-soaked beaches makes Croatia a dream holiday destination.
If you’re searching for Mediterranean climes and ancient towns similar to those in Italy, you can’t look past Croatia. Red-topped buildings line its coastal towns and island adventures are only a short ferry ride from their ports.
- Top three cities to visit: Dubrovnik, Split and Zadar.
- Must-visit Roman ruins: Istria County in Croatia’s north houses some of the most spectacular Roman ruins in the country. The city of Pula in particular features the only Roman amphitheatre that has all four of its side towers and all three of its Roman architectural orders preserved in full.
Check the price of flights to Croatia
This coastal country feels like a scaled back, laid-back version of Italy.
The sweet town centres, cobblestoned laneways and whitewashed buildings of Portugal are reminiscent of townships that speckle the Italian countryside. Wine is the tipple of choice here, with layers of vineyards toppling down hillsides in places such as the Douro Valley resembling that of Italy’s Trentino region.
- Top three cities to visit: Lisbon, Porto and Sintra.
- Must-visit Roman ruins: Conimbriga was the biggest Roman city in Portugal and its remains are considered to be the most well preserved in the country.
Check the price of flights to Portugal
With 15% of Brazil’s population being Italian or of Italian descent, Brazil takes the gold medal for having the largest percentage of Italians outside of Italy.
For those who like numbers, that’s a whopping 31 million Italian descendents living in Brazil! Searching for the most Italian city here? Check out Sao Paulo. It’s home to half of Brazil’s Italian population. Here, Italian is spoken on every other corner and Brazilian-Italian culinary creations such as Galeto, Chocotone and Bife à parmegiana can be found on every other menu.
- Top three cities to visit: Sao Paulo, Rio Grande do Sul and Minas Gerais.
- Must-visit Roman ruins: None.
Check the price of flights to Brazil
This former country of the Roman Republic might have its own distinct personality and style, but it still retains many of its links to its Italian history.
Lebanon’s friendship with Italy goes as far back as 64BC when it was added to the Roman Republic and was Romanised. Habits, customs and knowledge were exchanged and this shows in Lebanon’s unique European style of life. The country also boasts a bountiful Mediterranean landscape and world-class beaches.
- Top three cities to visit: Beirut, Tripoli and Tyre.
- Must-visit Roman ruins: Baalbek is one of the best known Roman archaeological sites in Lebanon. It features the Temple of Baal-Jupiter and Bacchus.
Check the price of flights to Lebanon
8. San Marino
Completely encased by north-central Italy, countries don’t get more Italian than San Marino.
At just 61km2, San Marino is one of the smallest countries in Europe. Its origins date back to 301AD and, aside from two short-lived military occupations by the Spanish and Italians, it has managed to maintain its independence throughout. It shares its language, climate and mountain range with Italy and boasts a cuisine similar to that which is found in Italy’s Emilia-Romagna and Marche regions.
- Top three cities to visit: City of San Marino, Dogana and Borgo Maggiore.
- Must-visit Roman ruins: The Basilica di San Marino is built on the foundations of a 4th century Romanesque Church. Aside from this, the best place to see Roman ruins is inside the National Museum.
Check the price of flights to San Marino (Rimini)
Bonus: California, USA
While not technically a country, California is a whole other world compared to other parts of the USA – and some regions sure feels a lot like Italy.
Take for example Napa Valley with its acclaimed wines and magnificent chateaus or Sonoma County and its rolling plains and dramatic cliffside. With heaps of cheap flights to Los Angeles available at the moment, you don’t have to overspend to feel like you’re being spoiled in the Italian countryside.
- Top three cities to visit: Napa, Sonoma
- Must-visit Roman ruins: None, but the Mediterranean-inspired Hearst Castle is worth a visit.
Check the price of flights to California
Best travel deals to Europe
10% off London hotels + £10 hotel credit
Valid for stays until 31 December 2017. Hotels included Millennium Hotel London Mayfair, Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington and more.
Scandinavia flights from $873 return
Valid on select dates from 1-31 March and 1-31 May. Sample fares include Melbourne-Stockholm, Sweden for $873 return, Sydney-Stockholm, Sweden for $888 return.
Extra 15% off hotels in Europe for members + FREE breakfast and WiFi: Weekend Offer
Valid for stays until 31 December 2017. Hotels included Millennium Hotel Paris Opera, Grand Hotel Palace Rome and more.
France flights from $926 return
Valid on select dates from 1-31 March and 1-31 May. Sample fares include Melbourne-Paris for $926 return, Sydney-Paris for $938 return.
Up to 25% off Paris hotels + 15% loyalty discount: Lowest Rate Offer
Valid for stays until 31 December 2017.
Italy flights from $889 return
Valid on select dates from 1-31 March and 1-31 May. Sample fares include Melbourne-Milan for $889 return, Sydney-Milan for $899 return, Melbourne-Rome for $899, Sydney-Rome for $924 return, Perth-Rome for $949 return.
Up to $605 off Europe trips: Early Bird Summer Sale 2017
Sample tours on sale include Ultimate European, European Vista, Greek Week, European Highlights, European Escapade and more. Countries visited include France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Greece, Turkey, Netherlands, UK and Austria.
Fly to Greece from $2,217 return from Australia
Search for flights to Athens on Virgin Australia starting from $2,217 return ex. Sydney
Book a flight to Greece
Book a flight to Greece with Etihad.
Search for cheap flights to Greece
Book the best price for your holiday to Greece with Expedia.
France rail rickets from $30
Travel within France, and from France to other destinations within Europe (including Italy, UK, Germany and Spain) from just $30.
Save up to 25% off Viator Paris deals
Get discounts off Eiffel tower, helicopter tours, Seine cruise and Disneyland Paris.
Up to 10% off Paris Passes
Buy a four or six-day Paris Pass for up to 10% off.