We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Been waiting to connect your Up Bank accounts to the Finder app? We have too! Well, the wait is over. 🥳
Thanks to Up, which has released an API that allows you to access your information outside of their app, you can now see all of your accounts in one place by connecting your accounts to the Finder app!
So why is this such a big deal?
We're glad you asked! When we say it's a big deal, we mean it. It's a big deal for Up customers, the Finder app, and the entire Australian banking industry.
- Up is the first neobank in Australia to release its API. Technical mumbo-jumbo aside, this is a big deal. This means that it's the first neobank that you'll be able to integrate into apps like ours. This gives you freedom to do more with your information and data.
- We're the first personal finance app to connect to the UP API. Time for a humble-brag. We've created new technology so our members can be the first to access their Up accounts in a personal financial app. We've jumped on this so fast because we want to help more people make better decisions, especially our Up users.🥇
- Up customers have demanded it, and we've delivered. It's well-known that Up bankers are a financially savvy bunch. We've received more requests from Up customers to join the Finder app than any other neobank!
- The banking industry is changing fast. This API integration is a significant step towards the acceptance and adoption of the Consumer Data Right, an initiative by the Australian Government to give consumers greater access and control over their data. We are big believers in this initiative and want to help more people access their information to be better informed and make better decisions.
What can Up customers get through the Finder app?
The Finder app allows you to see your Up Bank account balance alongside all your other connected accounts, including your credit card, transaction accounts, super, investments and loans.
When you connect your Up account to the Finder app, you'll have read-only access to your banking information. This includes seeing your balance and transactions. Some app features such as the cash position graph and transaction categorisation are currently not fully supported for Up due to limitations of its API, but we're working on it. 💪
Is it safe?
Yes! When you enter your personal access token to connect your Up account, we securely encrypt and store it so we can use it to fetch your data regularly. If you ever want to stop viewing your Up data in the Finder app, you can revoke the connection via settings at any time.
The Finder app has read-only access, so no one can make payments or transactions on your account.
Want to learn more about why the Finder app is safe and secure? Check out our article on why you can trust us.
How do I connect my Up account to the Finder app?
It might look a little overwhelming, but all we're really doing is generating a token from Up, then popping that token into the Finder app.
While the first phase of this beta roll out is a little bumpy with a few steps involved, we've made it as simple as possible to securely connect your accounts using Up's API. Please contact the Finder app team if you have any questions or issues connecting to the Finder app. We're here to help!
To connect your account, you'll need to generate a token. To generate a new token, follow the steps 1-6 below. Each time you generate a new token, all previous tokens expire and can no longer be used to read your account data via the Up API.
What you'll need
- Your phone with the Up app installed and logged into (device 1)
- A device with a web browser other than your phone, such as a tablet, laptop or desktop (device 2)
How to connect your account
Step 1. Open a web browser on a 2nd device (other than your mobile phone). Go to https://api.up.com.au/
Step 2. Open the Up app on your mobile phone (device 1)
Steps 3. Swipe right and select "Scan QR Code"
Step 4. Scan the QR code displayed on the webpage from step 2
Step 5. Confirm via the Up app to generate your token.
Step 6. The web page should generate your Up Bank personal access token.
Step 7. Copy your token, and securely transfer it to your mobile phone.
Step 8. Open the Finder app and tap the ellipsis button on the dashboard next to "Connected accounts". If you don't have a Finder account, you'll need to register one first.
Step 9. Tap "Connect a new account".
Step 10. Type to search for "Up bank" in the list, then tap to select.
Step 12. Paste your Up personal access token in the Finder app when prompted.
Step 13. Review the authorisation request, and once you're happy with it, tap "Authorise".
Steps 14. Voila! Once connected, your Up account information should be visible in the Finder app and will be updated daily so you can see all your accounts in one place.
Do you have other neo bank accounts and would like to connect them in the Finder app? Read more about it here and find a list of their contact details to get in touch with them.
Ask an Expert