3 reasons why you should connect your bank account to the Finder app
Track your spending, get personalised spending tips and see your overall financial health.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
So you've got the Finder app and now you're wondering what you can do with it.
If you're looking for a way to get on top of your finances in one handy place, the Finder app has got your back. It automatically tracks your spending, hunts down personalised savings tips for you and sends you helpful alerts for you to keep track of your spending.
Best of all? All this will be delivered to your phone automatically once you connect your bank account.
We're going to look at the following:
- Three game-changing things the app can do once you connect your bank account
- Any security concerns you might have about connecting your accounts
- A quick and easy how-to guide on how to connect your bank account
What you can do with the app once you connect your bank account
1. You'll get unique insights based on your spending habits
Once you connect, we'll be able to give you personalised insights based on your spending history.
Here are some of the insights we can give you once you connect your bank account:
- We'll take a look at your savings account and let you know if you could be earning more interest elsewhere.
- We check out your home Internet bill and see if you can potentially save by switching to another provider.
- If you've got a credit card and are paying off your balance, we'll tell you if a better deal can be found elsewhere.
- We compare your health insurance deal and highlight if you can potentially save with a different deal.
2. See all your regular expenses and bills in one place
You'll be able to see all your bills and recurring payments on the same screen. Think car insurance, mobile phone, Netflix, Spotify, energy bill, broadband, health insurance and even your transport costs.
This makes it easy to see if you're paying too much for some things or if you're overlapping on particular expenses.
We detect this all automatically, so all you have to do is connect your bank account and let us do the hard work.
3. You can connect your superannuation and investments and see your total cash position
Savings accounts, superannuation and investments? Yep! The Finder app consolidates all of these so you can view all your accounts in one place. It's pretty handy.
We'll then crunch this data and show you your current cash position. This is calculated by taking your available cash in your bank account and subtracting any debt you have.
It's a quick and easy way to see how your finances are looking.
Why should I trust the Finder app?
If you're a little worried about connecting your bank account to the app, we totally get it. That's why we've made security our number one priority.
We've invested in bank-level security so your accounts stay safe and secure. We do this by using Yodlee, a global leader in banking technology and security. They've got tens of millions of consumers and are the go-to when it comes to secure hosting and financial data encryptions.
We comply with global data-privacy regulations. This means that we don't share your information with anyone unless you tell us to. We're also a read-only service, so we can't move any money in or out of your accounts. Authorised Finder employees have restricted and audited access to our systems for engineering and troubleshooting purposes only.
Want to read more on why the Finder app is safe and secure? Read our blog piece by our Head of Security here.
How to connect your bank account to the Finder app
Ready to rock and roll? Here's how to connect your bank account to the Finder app.
- Head to the "Products and Bills" tab, click the "+" and select "Connect a new account". Find the account you want to connect by using the search box or scrolling through the list and click on it.
- Pop in your customer ID and your password. This will be the same details you use in your online banking login. (Remember, we only use these to access your information within the app; they're not shared with anyone else and we can't make transactions.)
- Your account should be connected now. It may take a few minutes to initially sync your data, then you're good to go!
If you have any trouble, our customer service team is here to help. Just click the little speech bubble at the bottom of the screen.
Why can't I connect my neobank to the Finder app?
We love neobanks, we really do. But neobanks like Up, Xinja, Revolut, and 86 400 are currently incompatible with the Finder app, as well as a bunch of other financial apps. This is because they don't have the permissions set up for apps like ours to do our thing, whereas your typical bank does. If you want to dive into the technical mumbo-jumbo, head to our post on neobanks here.
The app won't let me connect my account.
Trying to connect a bank account but it's saying your login details are invalid? If that's the case, you might actually be trying to connect to the wrong bank name. We're currently working on resolving a bug with our search functionality that doesn't pull up all the bank accounts on our system. So if you're searching for St. George, you might only have one account option come up in our search, when there are actually 4 different options! Instead of using the search box, try using the alphabetised toggle on the right-hand side. If you struggle, just hit the chat icon at the bottom of this page and we'll help you out.
Have a problem with the Finder app? Pop it below and we'll jump on it.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals in Australia, hand-picked by Finder's shopping experts.
Best camping mattresses in Australia
These are the 6 best camping mattresses you can get in Australia right now.
Best projectors in Australia
Here are the 7 best projectors you can buy right now for all your home theatre and gaming needs.
Business courses online in Australia
Searching for a career in business and not sure where to start? Find out here.
Best PC speakers in Australia 2020
Does your laptop or desktop PC need more sound? We've found the 7 best PC speakers in Australia for a variety of budgets and purposes.
Financial Fitness Challenge Week 3: How to get the most out of a credit card
How to cut debt and make your credit card work for you.
Best weed killers in Australia
These are the eight best weed killers you can buy right now in Australia.
Online first aid courses in Australia
Be prepared to help in any situation. Here's what you need to know about taking an online first aid course.
Best Beard Oils in Australia
These are the 6 best beard oils you can buy right now in Australia.
Best pressure washers in Australia
These are the 7 best pressure washers you can buy right now in Australia.
Ask an Expert