Comrade Detective arrives on Amazon Prime Video this week
Channing Tatum and Joseph Gordon-Levitt bring this Romanian "classic" to a modern audience.
Amazon Prime Video might not have the most consistent stream of releases, but in August it is bringing us at least two bizarre comedy choices. Not only will The Tick premiere on 25 August but Amazon has just announced another obscure comedy coming as soon as 4 August (this Friday).
Comrade Detective was created by the Romanian government during the Cold War in an attempt to replicate the 80s buddy cop genre while pushing Communist ideals. It was also the country's most popular and long-running TV show until it seemingly dropped off the face of the earth. That is, until now.
Of course, nothing from the last paragraph is actually true. It's just the dressing for Amazon Prime Video's latest comedy in which Channing Tatum discovers the long-lost tapes and enlists the help of his famous friends (Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jenny Slate and Nick Offerman to name a few) to help dub the fake television show.
In reality, Comrade Detective is an original TV series with accomplished Romanian actor Florin Piersic Jr. in the leading role (voiced by Tatum himself).
- Where to watch the 2018 Giro d’Italia online in Australia
- Where to watch the A-League Grand Final online in Australia
- Stan on Qantas: Romper Stomper, No Activity and other originals incoming
- Chromecast Ultra review: Google’s simple streaming solution
- View Finder: Thinking of heading to the movies? Deux it