If a medical emergency strikes, would you be able to foot the bill?
Medical expenses, whether planned or unplanned, can put a significant strain on your finances. While costs vary, some procedures can set you back tens of thousands of dollars, not to mention the cost of staying in the hospital and taking time off work. A medical loan can help you cover bills from doctors, hospitals or anything medical-related. These loans vary, so it’s important to compare your options to find the right loan for you. From variable rate From comparison rate 100% confidential application A reusable credit facility of up to $75,000. Receive a tailored interest rate between 8.99% p.a. and 17.99% p.a. (9.96% p.a. to 18.91% p.a. comparison rate) based on your risk profile.
Citi Personal Loan Plus
100% confidential application
A reusable credit facility of up to $75,000. Receive a tailored interest rate between 8.99% p.a. and 17.99% p.a. (9.96% p.a. to 18.91% p.a. comparison rate) based on your risk profile.
Comparison of unsecured personal loans
What is a medical loan?
A medical loan can cover the costs of both elective and necessary medical requirements and procedures. Covering medical costs can be expensive, and even with private health insurance you may have to pay an excess, or worse, your procedure might not be covered at all. If you don’t have the ready money you can take out one of these loans to cover your medical costs.
As with a normal personal loan, a medical loan from a lender such as ACA Loans or Mac Credit may be offered with either a fixed or variable interest rate and flexible repayment options.
What types of personal loans can cover medical expenses?
You can consider a few different types of financing if you require medical treatment:
- Unsecured personal loan. You can use unsecured personal loans for any purposes, including medical expenses. You can usually borrow between $3,000 and $50,000 depending on what you can afford to repay and interest rates vary between 8-20% p.a.
- Specialised medical loan. Providers such as Mac Credit and ACA Loans provide financing for specific medical procedures including cosmetic surgery and dental work.
- Short term loan. If you only require a small amount and are not eligible for a standard personal loan, you can consider a short term loan. You can apply for a loan from $100 and have it repaid within a few months. Keep in mind interest rates and fees will be much higher with short term loans.
- Credit card. If you have a credit card or are eligible to apply for one, this is another financing option to consider. A credit card can be good if you don't know how much money you'll need to borrow or if you want to take advantage of interest-free periods. Make sure you check your surgery will be eligible as an interest-free purchase and that you have the means to repay the credit you use.
MacCredit Medical Financing
If you are getting cosmetic dental or medical procedures compare the payment plans from MacCredit.
- Fixed and Variable Interest Rates
- $0 upfront fees
- Payment plans from $4,000
Please note that the rates, fees and features mentioned here were correct at the time of publication.
How should I compare my medical loan options?
Medical loans offer many of the same features as other personal loans, but some of the features are also more particular:
- Fees. Most loans come with fees and medical loans are no different. Depending on the lender you go with you may have to pay loan establishment fees or monthly fees, as well as some fees such as early repayment fees or redraw fees, if these features are available.
- Interest rate. Check if the loan comes with a fixed or variable rate and if the rate is competitive compared to other personal loans. You should also always consider the comparison rate of the loan, as this includes any fees or charges to show the true cost of the loan.
- Repayments. Lenders may also differ in how flexible they are with their repayments. Most lenders will offer you the options of making your repayments weekly, fortnightly or monthly, but they also may allow you to make additional repayments to help save you money.
- Loan amount. As medical costs can be quite steep, medical loans are usually for higher amounts than other loans. Some medical loans have quite high minimum loan amounts, some around $10,000, so make sure you won’t have to borrow more than you need.
- Loan terms. As the loan amount is generally higher with medical loans, the lender may offer you a longer period to pay it back as well. Check to see if you will be able to manage the repayments with the loan terms that the lender sets.
Whatever type of finance you decide to go with, make sure it matches your financial needs and budget.
Further reading: Same day personal loan funding
How to apply?
If you’d like to apply for a personal loan to finance medical expenses, you can compare your options using the comparison table on this page. You can then click "Go to Site" if you find a suitable loan. To apply you’ll need to be:
- Over the age of 18
- An Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Employed or be receiving regular payments into your bank account