Commercial cleaning services
What to consider before getting your workplace professionally cleaned.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
In this article we'll look at commercial cleaning services in Australia and give you the lowdown on the entire process. We'll look at how you can go about hiring a commercial cleaner, typical costs involved as well as other important factors to consider.
What's in this guide?
- What are commercial cleaning services?
- What does a commercial cleaner do?
- How do I hire a commercial cleaner?
- How much does commercial cleaning cost?
- How do I compare commercial cleaners?
- How should I prepare for commercial cleaning?
- How long does a commercial clean take?
- What to consider when hiring a commercial cleaning service
- Do I need to be present for a commercial clean?
- What are the pros and cons of commercial cleaning services?
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions about commercial cleaning services
What are commercial cleaning services?
Commercial cleaning is the process of cleaning commercial buildings and workplaces such as offices, schools, hospitals, shopping malls, factories, clubs, restaurants, hotels and leisure centres. A company that provides cleaning services with a team of professional and experienced cleaners is known as a commercial cleaning company.
Cleaning of workplaces and commercial properties is important to maintain a neat, clean and hygienic environment for both the employees and customers. In Australia the commercial cleaning sector is estimated by IBISWorld to have a market size of $12 billion dollars, demonstrating its demand even during the pandemic.
What does a commercial cleaner do?
Commercial companies provide a range of services. Regular commercial cleaning includes vacuuming carpets, removing rubbish, cleaning toilets and cleaning windows. Deep cleaning services may include some of the following:
- Cleaning of all blinds, walls, window sills, doors and ceilings.
- Thorough vacuuming of all the carpets by moving furniture away or scrubbing of floors.
- Cleaning of toilet and washroom walls, mirrors, sinks and cabinets.
- Cleaning of all kitchen appliances, refrigerators and cabinets, if there are kitchens in the workplaces.
Cleaning requirements might vary for different properties. For example, hospital and school cleaning will be a little more complicated as it will involve the use of more disinfectants and more services than normal.
How do I hire a commercial cleaner?
If you're looking for commercial cleaning in Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney and other areas your best bet is to compare cleaners online. You can do this manually by searching via Google or an online directory like Whitepages, or use an online platform like Airtasker or Oneflare where you post your job and then receive quotes from different companies.
How much does commercial cleaning cost?
Services can vary in price depending on your exact needs or requirements. Different companies have their own prices depending upon the number of cleaners they provide and the cost may also depend on the size of the area that needs cleaning. Most companies charge on an hourly basis and normally charge $30 to $60 per hour.
How do I compare commercial cleaners?
The following are some steps that can help you find the right cleaners:
- First you should conduct online research and shortlist a few commercial cleaning companies based on their high customer reviews and satisfaction.
- Secondly, you should obtain quotes and compare the price and what's included with each quote.
How should I prepare for commercial cleaning?
Normally, you don't need to prepare anything for commercial cleaning services. The cleaning team will bring all the products, equipment and machines with them for the cleaning process. However, if you already have supplies available, you should let your service know in advance.
Typically, commercial cleaning services only dust and clean furniture. They aren't normally responsible for moving items as damage may occur, so you'll need to move any furniture and other items yourself.
How long does a commercial clean take?
The time required depends on the following factors:
- Your requirements and requested tasks. For example, deep cleaning and disinfection of the whole environment will take more time than a regular clean. Hospitals and schools may take more time than a regular office floor.
- The size of the premises. The size of the space is another factor that determines the time and cost of a commercial clean. Most professional companies will have their own specific calculation formulas to give you a quote and time estimation.
- The size of the team. The bigger the team taking care of the clean, the shorter it will take.
What to consider when hiring a commercial cleaning service
Once you have done your research and know what requirements and services you need, it's worth checking the experience of the company and any previous feedback they've received online from past customers. You should consider the cost of the service and whether or not they can conveniently accommodate your schedule.
Do I need to be present for a commercial clean?
It's not mandatory for you to be present for the whole cleaning process, but you should discuss this with the company or team first before deciding whether or not to stay.
What are the pros and cons of commercial cleaning services?
- Ensures your space is cleaned to professional standards.
- A clean environment attracts customers and gives them a pleasant experience.
- A neat and hygienic environment can boost the productivity of employees and might even have a positive impact on mental health.
- It saves you or your employees a lot of time they can use to focus on other important tasks.
- Commercial cleaning services can be more costly than doing it yourself.
- It will take extra time in booking and hiring professionals that fits your schedule.
Commercial cleaning can be a useful service for all types of businesses trying to maintain a professional appearance. By evaluating a company's past customer reviews and comparing quotes you can find a high quality service that won't be too expensive.
Frequently asked questions about commercial cleaning services
How often should I book a commercial cleaning service?
This will vary depending on the type of commercial setting as some environments may be prone to get dirty quicker than others. However, on average commercial cleaning might take place every two weeks.
Will a commercial cleaner bring their own equipment and supplies?
Yes, you should expect that the cleaning team will bring their own equipment and supplies.
Ask an Expert