CommBank Ultimate Awards credit card
Score up to 120,000 bonus CommBank Awards points and save with no international transaction fees.
When you apply for the CommBank Ultimate Awards by 30 September 2021 and spend at least $5,000 on eligible purchases within the first 90 days, you’ll earn 90,000 bonus Awards points. You’ll earn another 30,000 bonus points when you keep the card open for more than 12 months. This card also charges a $35 monthly fee (maximum of $420 per year), which is waived when you spend at least $2,500 in a statement period and choose to receive online statements.
The CommBank Ultimate Awards card is designed with travellers in mind and offers travel perks as well as Awards points per $1 for eligible spending. You can unwind pre-flight with access to 1,000 airport lounges across the LoungeKey network and enjoy cashback with participating merchants overseas courtesy of Mastercard.
|Product Name||CommBank Ultimate Awards Credit Card|
|Rewards program||Commonwealth Bank Awards Program|
|Balance transfer rate||5.99% p.a. for 5 months|
|Balance transfer revert rate||Cash Advance Rate (21.24% p.a.)|
|Purchase rate||20.24% p.a.|
|Interest-free period||Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Cash advance rate||21.24% p.a.|
|Min credit limit||$6,000|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||0%|
|Available to temporary residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
- Up to 120,000 bonus CommBank Awards points offer
- 0% international transaction fees and 3 points per $1 spent overseas
- Included international travel insurance when you activate before you travel
- LoungeKey membership gives access to over 1,000 airport lounges with this card
- Purchase rate of 20.24% p.a. is relatively high
- After $10,000 spend per statement period, earn rate drops to 0.5 pts / $1
- Visiting lounges with the LoungeKey membership is subject to a fee each time
- $2,500 / statement period spend hurdle to have monthly fee waived every month is tricky
|Rewards program||Commonwealth Bank Awards Program|
|Rewards points per $ spent||1|
|Minimum monthly repayment||2% of the closing balance or $25, whichever is greater|
|Late payment fee||$20|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||0%|
|Cash advance fee||3% or $3, whichever is greater|
|Overseas cash advance fee||$3 or 3% of the transaction amount, whichever is greater|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
|Number of additional cardholders||1|
How to apply
You can apply for the Commonwealth bank Ultimate Awards credit card online in around 30 minutes. Before you get started, check if you meet the eligibility criteria and have the necessary information to complete the application.
- Cardholder status. In order to be eligible for any bonus points, you must apply as a new cardholder. This means you cannot hold or have held any Awards card types in the last 12 months.
- Eligible balance transfer debt. If you plan to transfer a balance, you can transfer a minimum of $500 and it must be from a non-Commonwealth Bank credit card(s) or major store card(s).
- Residency. This card is available to permanent and temporary residents as long as you have the legal right to work in Australia. You may be asked to provide your visa details if you're not a permanent resident.
- Credit history. You must have a good credit score with no current bankruptcies to receive approval. You can get your credit score and copy of your comprehensive credit report for free through Finder.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years old.
- Personal information. This includes your full name, residential address and contact details.
- Proof of identification. You'll need to provide proof of identification such as your Australian driver's licence or passport.
- Income and employment. Confirm your annual income and current place of employment. You may also need to provide your employer's contact information.
- Finances. This includes your regular expenses as well as information about any savings, investments, assets or liabilities like existing debts or loans.
- Balance transfer information. If you are transferring a balance(s), you will need to provide the name of the issuer(s), credit/store card number(s) and the amount(s) you are requesting to transfer.
- Up to 120,000 bonus Awards points. When you apply as a new customer by 30 September 2021 and spend $5,000 on eligible purchases within 90 days of activation, you will be rewarded with 90,000 bonus Awards points. You’ll earn another 30,000 bonus points when the account remains open after 12 months. The bonus points will appear on your statement within 90 days of meeting the spend requirement.
- 0% foreign transaction fees. You won't be charged an international transaction fee when you use your card to shop overseas or online with a foreign merchant.
- Earn Awards points. You'll earn 3 Awards points per $1 spent on international transactions made in store and online and 2 Awards points per $1 spent at major Australian supermarkets, department stores and petrol stations. All other eligible everyday transactions will earn 1 point per $1. You'll collect 0.5 Awards points per $1 after you've spent $10,000 per statement period (regardless of category). You can redeem your Awards points in-store at Myer and Flight Centre or take your pick of rewards including gift cards, electronics, cashback and more through the Awards site.
- Included international travel insurance. You'll be covered for overseas medical, baggage and travel delays, cancellation costs and more with this international travel insurance. Provided the eligibility requirements are met, this cover protects you, your spouse and dependent children travelling with you. Activate your insurance through NetBank, the CommBank app or by Cover-More on 1300 467 951 before you go overseas.
- Mastercard Airport Experiences. Relax before your next flight with access to more than 1,000 lounges worldwide through LoungeKey. You can also find exclusive dining, shopping and spa offers to enjoy before you take off through Mastercard Airport Experiences.
- Purchase insurance. You can shop with peace of mind with extended warranty cover and other included purchase covers on lost, stolen or damaged items bought with the card.
- Mastercard Traveler Rewards. Get cashback offers when you travel overseas and shop with participating merchants. Browse the current offers through the Mastercard Travel Rewards website and pay in the currency shown for each offer and meet any other conditions to get a cashback credit on your account.
- Mobile wallet compatibility. Link your account with Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Google Pay to tap and pay with your smartphone or device. You can also use your fitness tracker to make contactless payments with Fitbit Pay and Garmin Pay.
- Account management. You can set transaction limits, lock international transactions and block cash advances through NetBank or the CommBank app.
- Security. Your account is monitored by 24-hour fraud protection to detect any abnormal transactions and you'll be protected against fraud with Mastercard Zero Liability. If your card is lost or stolen, you can contact the 24/7 emergency Mastercard Global Service team for assistance.
Rates & fees
- Monthly fee. This card charges a $35 monthly fee. If you spend at least $2,500 on your Ultimate Awards credit card during the statement period and opt to receive online statements, the monthly fee will be waived.
- Purchase interest rate. This card charges a 20.24% p.a. purchase interest rate.
- Interest-free days. When you pay your balance in full by the statement due date, you can save with up to 55 days interest-free on purchases.
- Cash advances. If you use your card to make a cash advance, you'll be charged the 21.24% p.a. cash advance interest rate and the cash advance fee of $3 or 3% of the transaction amount, whichever is greater.
- Balance transfers. Transfer an existing balance to this card and pay 5.99% p.a. interest for the first 5 months. The cash advance interest rate applies to any balance transfer debt thereafter.
- Additional cardholders. You can apply for 1 supplementary card for a partner or family member for $0.
Sally McMullen is a creative content producer at Finder. Sally has written about credit cards for almost 5 years, authoring almost 900 articles on Finder alone. She has also been published in Yahoo Finance, Dynamic Business, Financy and Mamamia, as well as Music Feeds and Rolling Stone. Sally has a Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies majoring in Journalism (Hons) from the University of Wollongong.
The Ultimate Awards credit card boasts the highest earn rate compared to other Commonwealth Bank Awards credit cards. The earn rate is tiered, awarding more points per $1 spent overseas and on purchases with major Australian supermarkets, department stores and petrol stations compared to other eligible transactions. Currently, the bonus points offer gives you a way to collect 120,000 CommBank Awards points when you meet the spend requirement and keep the card for over a year. And you could use your points to pay for travel at Flight Centre or shopping at Myer, transfer them to a partnered frequent flyer program or choose from the other rewards listed on the CommBank Awards website.
As well as points chasers, this card is suited to people who regularly travel and shop overseas. You can save with included international travel insurance and 0% foreign transaction fees, a fee that is usually around 3% on other cards. You can also access 1,000 airport lounges across the LoungeKey network.