Give yourself peace of mind while you're hitting the slopes with Columbus Direct Winter Sports Cover.
Are you planning to take a holiday over the winter break? You need travel insurance. Holidaymakers spend a lot of time and effort planning their perfect vacation, but often overlook the importance of getting a good travel insurance policy.
Who underwrites Columbus Direct Winter Sports Cover?
Columbus Direct Winter Sports Cover is underwritten by certain underwriters at Lloyd's (the insurers). Columbus Direct Travel Insurance Pty Limited (ColumbusDirect) is an Australian Financial Services Licence Holder authorised to deal in and provide general financial product advice about general insurance products. Columbus Direct is authorised by them, under binder agreement, to arrange, issue, vary and cancel these products on their behalf.
Winter sports pose a unique set of risks to participants. Although travel insurance cannot help you avoid misfortunes during your travels, it can be very useful in providing relief and support.
Columbus Direct Travel Insurance provides many travel insurance products, and one of these is the Columbus Direct Winter Sports cover, which is specifically designed to cover winter sports.
What does the Columbus Direct Winter Sports Cover?
Columbus Direct Winter Sports Insurance covers:
- Ski Hire. Columbus Direct Winter Sports Cover protects for the cost of damages and losses of hired ski equipment. This also applies to damages and losses incurred by transit delays of more than 12-hours. You are required to take care of the hired ski equipment and any claims, which are the result of irresponsible treatment will not be considered.
- Ski Equipment. This policy covers against damage or loss not just of hired ski equipment, but equipment that is owned by you. This cover is only available for equipment that is lost or damaged during the trip. Ski equipment covered under this policy include:
- ski boots
- ski poles
- specialised clothing.
It’s important to keep proof of purchase in form of original receipts and other supporting documentation.
- Ski Pack. This package also covers the value of your ski pack including:
- ski tuition fees
- unused ski passes.
You will also be covered if your ski pass is lost or stolen.
- Piste Closure. The weather can be unpredictable. If poor weather results in piste closures, Columbus Direct Winter Sports Cover will cover your losses on that day such as transport to and from the nearest ski resort and ski passes.
Columbus Direct Winter Sports Cover Services
Columbus Direct Winter Sports Cover provides protection for accidental loss, theft and damages to your personal belongings. The cover provides reasonable compensation for the replacement of personal items in the event your checked baggage is delayed while en-route.
Columbus Direct Winter Sports Cover also offers protection for the theft, loss, or damage to your travel documents, passport and cash. Cover does not extend to credit cards. The policy will cover any legal liability caused by unintentional injury to others or property damage.
If your trip is delayed, you are protected against additional expenses incurred. Should you decide to abandon the trip altogether due to delays of more than 12-hours, Columbus Direct Winter Sports Cover will offer compensation for any irrecoverable costs.
Unlike most travel policies, this package offers coverage for higher-risk activities and a wide range of sporting activities. Cover for pre-existing medical conditions is available, but you will be required to attend a medical screening.
Columbus Direct Winter Sports Cover General Exclusions?
Columbus Direct Winter Sports Cover policy will not provide a benefit for:
- pre-existing conditions unless stated and covered through a written endorsement as required by your policy
- curtailment costs that are not approved by the Medical Emergency Assistance Company
- personal liability claims arising from hazardous or manual work undertaken while on your sports trip
- trips that are taken against Government travel advisory warnings
- trips that are taken against medical advice such as while pregnant or suffering from a pre-existing condition
- trip extensions without the Columbus Direct’s consent
- policies taken by persons over the age of 84 years
- policies taken using fraudulent means or misrepresentation
- acts of terrorism, war, civil unrest and hijack claims as a result of similar circumstances. However, there is a limited cover that caters to such medical expenses
- claims arising from motorcycles or similar vehicles if the vehicle is larger than 125cc, the victim was not wearing a helmet, or if they drove without a valid driver’s license for the country
- travelling with the intention to receive elective medical treatment such as dental or cosmetic procedures
- medical treatment or care undertaken in your country of residence. This applies to domestic travellers medication or treatments which are known to be required during the trip
- claims for injury or illness that occurred 12 months after injury
- claims for non-prescription procedures or medical aid
- costs covered by a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement
- losses that are not reported to the police within the 24-hour time frame upon discovery
- personal baggage loss, damages or delays incurred while in the custody of a carrier if not reported immediately after discovery or within the three days stipulated with such events
- losses incurred from lost or stolen credit cards.
Who is Eligible in Getting a Columbus Direct Winter Sports Cover?
In order to be eligible for the Columbus Direct Winter Sports Cover, you will need to be under 84 years of age at the time of purchasing the policy. This policy is accessible to all Australian citizens and residents. Those who have resided in Australia for more than three months are eligible for Columbus Direct Winter Sports Cover. However, the policy only covers trips that begin and end in the country of residency.
If you are overseas or have already begun your trip, this insurance cover is not eligible to you. The cover is also not eligible to persons who do not intend to return to the country after an international trip. You must be 18 years or older to be eligible for this travel cover. Those under the age of 18 are required to be accompanied by an adult.
Patients who are taking a trip against medical advice or have been diagnosed with terminal illnesses are not eligible for cover. If you are travelling with the intention of undergoing elective treatment, this includes all dental and cosmetic procedures, you will not be eligible for the cover. Persons travelling for convalescent care are also not eligible for the Columbus Direct Winter Sports Cover.
How to Make a Claim with Columbus Direct
When making a claim, you will first need to request for a claim form and this can be done by getting in touch with Global Claims Services who are the claims handlers for Columbus Direct. Make sure that you make your claim as soon as possible and this must be within a 31 day time frame, immediately following your trip. You will need to confirm the name of your insurer and provide your full names, address, schedule number, contact number as well as a brief description of the claim in the form.
Claims for loss of personal baggage or money need to be reported immediately they are discovered and this is within 24-hours. You will be required to provide proof of ownership for the items claimed and a written report.
Claims for damage or loss of personal baggage while in the carrier’s custody will need to be immediately notified to the carrier.
Medical claims must be accompanied by a medical certificate.