Travelling soon? Check out Columbus Direct Standard Travel Insurance before you leave.
Travel insurance is perhaps one of the most overlooked types of insurance. Whether you travel domestically or internationally, travel insurance is a financial product you cannot afford to be without. The greatest concern for most people who take out travel insurance is medical emergencies. The good news is that your travel insurance covers more than medical emergencies. Travel insurance protects you in many situations from repatriation due to natural disasters through to lost baggage.
Who underwrites Columbus Direct Standard Travel Insurance?
Columbus Direct Travel Insurance Pty Limited (ABN 99 107 050 582) "ColumbusDirect" is an authorised to provide general financial product advice and deal in general insurance products. Columbus Direct Standard Travel Insurance is underwritten by certain underwriters at Lloyd's (the insurers). Columbus Direct Travel Insurance is authorised by them, under binder agreement, to arrange, issue, vary and cancel these products on their behalf.
Although travel insurance does not prevent issues from arising, it does help you solve those problems. Columbus Direct is an Australian licensed financial services provider and they offer valuable travel insurance packages. Their packages are affordable and whether you are planning for a luxury or budget trip, you should be able to have your basic needs covered.
What does the Columbus Direct Standard Travel Insurance Cover?
Columbus Direct Standard Insurance policy covers both domestic and international travellers. This policy covers:
- Medical assistance. This cover provides emergency medical assistance 24 hours a day.
- Overseas medical expenses and repatriation. International trips get an overseas medical expenses cover with repatriation covered as well. This covers the cost of treatment which includes dental costs, ambulance, and funeral and repatriation costs as well. However, this coverage is not extended to domestic trips.
- Cancellation and curtailment. This policy covers losses that occur when your trip is curtailed or cut short by unforeseen events.
- Personal baggage. There are limits for both domestic and international travellers on the value of the personal baggage claimed.
- Delayed baggage. International travellers are covered for accidental damage, loss or even theft of personal belongings when the luggage is in the care of the carrier. Delayed baggage is not covered with the domestic package.
- Travel documents and personal money. Your travel documents and personal cash are covered against theft, loss and damages. However, this cover does not extend to credit cards.
- Travel delays. Columbus Direct Standard covers travel delays if they're over six hours or more, as long as the delay was caused by a covered reason such as weather conditions or a mechanical fault. In the event of a covered delay, the insurance period is automatically extended for up to seven days.
- Missed departure. Missed departures are covered but this can be claimed only if you missed the flight due to circumstances such as public transport strikes or your vehicle broke down when heading for departure.
- Rental vehicle excess waiver. This cover helps you when required to pay for loss, theft, accidental and malicious damage to the rented vehicle.
- Hijack. Daily cash allowances are provided for hijacked means of transport.
- Catastrophe. Catastrophes such as floods lead to additional expenses. Your travel policy will offer insurance for extra travel and accommodation expenses.
Other items covered by your Columbus Direct Standard international insurance policy include legal advice and expenses which is covered with a $50,000 limit and personal liability for $2.5 million.
Columbus Direct Standard Services
Columbus Direct Standard insurance plan will provide you with emergency medical repatriation to seek medical attention at home. That said; this policy will not cover you if you travelled against medical advice or with the intention of seeking medical attention. Those who declare a pre-existing medical condition will be taken through a medical screening process and additional premium may be required to cover the condition.
Some insurance claims are subject to excess and each of these sections will come with their different excess charges. The insurance provider offers extensions and these are based on the rates that apply at the time of applying for the extension. Some of the general services you can expect with this policy are compensation in the event you have your personal belongings or cash stolen, damaged or accidentally lost. Trip delays, missed departures or connections, abandonment and catastrophes are all covered with your Columbus Direct Standard plan.
Why choose Columbus Direct
Columbus Direct offer fantastic travel insurance packages. The company offers its insurance products across various countries and has been widely recognised for its insurance products. Columbus Direct travel insurance policies are underwritten by one of the most recognised underwriters in the business, Lloyd’s.
What are the General Exclusions?
Like any other insurance provider, Columbus Direct offers exclusions with their Standard travel plan. It’s important to read these exclusions so as to avoid making claims that cannot be compensated. You are not covered against claims that arise as a result of:
- Trips booked against medical advice or with the full intention of seeking medical care
- Certain exclusions apply to pregnant travellers. The pregnancy is not covered if you are travelling against medical advice, complications exist with the pregnancy at the time you book your trip or take out insurance, if the pregnancy resulted from an assisted reproductive programme, or if it is a multiple pregnancy.
- Circumstances that were foreseen at the time of booking the trip or taking the insurance policy
- High-risk leisure activities such as: horseback hunting, boating or yachting beyond coastal waters, and professional sports.
- No cover is available for motorcycling, unless it is on-road motorcycling, you hold all the required licences (refer to the PDS for policy requirements), and crash helmets are worn. If the bike is more than 125cc you will need to purchase the appropriate extension for cover to apply (Sports/Adventure and Work Activities Pack A).
- Travelling to destinations where the government has listed the area as 'do not travel'
- Acts of war, rebellion, civil unrest or terrorism
- Self-inflicted illness or injury
- Errors and omissions made by the insured when making booking arrangements. For example, failing to acquire the appropriate travel documents and visas
- Claims increased by the insured’s omission or acts
- Accepting liability or making promises of payment without Columbus Direct written consent
- Failure to comply with the law or breaking the law
- Needless exposure to risk unless when attempting to save human life
- Personal liability claims by travellers working overseas
- Policies are only available to those under 69 years of age
- Nuclear radiation, radioactive contamination or claims caused by nuclear reactions
- Delayed baggage with domestic trips
- Hospital cash allowance with domestic trips.
Who is eligible for getting a Columbus Direct Standard Travel Plan?
The policy is available to Australian citizens and residents. In order to be eligible for the Columbus Direct Standard travel plan, you must have resided in Australia for no less than three months. Your trip must be departing from and ending in Australia. This insurance policy is available for persons aged 84 years and below at the date of purchase.
The policy is not eligible for travellers who are already underway with their trip or those who are under 18 years old and are travelling without adult supervision. Persons travelling against medical advice are not eligible for Columbus Direct Standard travel plan and neither are travellers who have been diagnosed with terminal illnesses. If you are travelling with the intention of accessing medical care, you are not eligible for this travel plan. If your intention is not to return to Australia at the end of your trip, you will need to check with Columbus Direct to see whether you are eligible for a one-way policy.
How to make a claim with Columbus Direct
All claims should be made in a timely manner and the company requires that you make the claim within a period of 31 days after the end of your trip. Inpatient care, emergency repatriation and curtailment of your trip need to be authorised in advance by the 24-hour Medical Assistance helpline. For any other claims, you need to get in touch with Intana Global, who are appointed by Columbus Direct to handle claims.
Any loss incurred due to personal baggage or cash should be notified to the police within 24-hours and a written report will need to be obtained. All valuables and personal baggage claimed will be accompanied by proof of ownership.
Losses of personal baggage in the hands of a carrier must be notified to the carrier immediately and in writing. A Property Irregularity Report should be obtained.
Where medical attention was received, you are required to obtain medical certificates indicating the illness or injury, the treatment received and if possible the account in which the payment should be made.