Travel with complete peace of mind: Comprehensive cover with Columbus Direct Premier Travel Insurance
A lot of things can go wrong while you’re on holidays. You can lose valuables, have your trip cancelled or delayed, or need medical attention. Without travel insurance, the implications of these types of situations can be financially devastating. This is why it is very important to have travel insurance.
Who Underwrites Columbus Direct Premier Travel Insurance?
Columbus Direct Travel Insurance Pty Limited (ColumbusDirect) is authorised to deal in and provide general financial product advice about general insurance products. Columbus Direct Premier Travel Insurance is underwritten by certain underwriters at Lloyd's (the insurers). Columbus Direct is authorised by them, under binder agreement, to arrange, issue, vary and cancel these products on their behalf.
With Columbus Direct, you don’t need to worry about the unexpected, as they offer an array of travel insurance packages. Columbus Direct provides many affordable packages to suit even the most meagre travel budget. Best of all, because there are no agents or middlemen selling you these policies, you know you are getting a good deal.
What does the Columbus Direct Premier Travel Insurance Cover?
Columbus Direct Premier Travel insurance cover is divided into two sections: international and domestic. Below is a breakdown of what is covered with this package.
- 24-hour medical assistance. Columbus Direct Premier will make arrangements for emergency treatment. Columbus Direct Premier will also cover the costs of your repatriation.
- Overseas medical expenses and repatriation. This policy covers travel and accommodation costs. The emergencies covered include medical treatment, emergency transportation fees and doctor’s fees. Premier policyholders are eligible for a maximum benefit amount of $2000.
- Cancellation and curtailment costs. Columbus Direct Premier Travel Insurance also provide cancellation cover. Columbus Direct cover losses for advance payments, charges, deposits and other payments made should your trip be cancelled. For domestic trips the policy has a limit of $7,500, whereas the maximum benefit for the international policy is $15,000.
- Hospital cash allowance. Columbus Direct Premier provides a hospital cash provision but only if you are hospitalised outside your country of residence.
- Personal accident. If you are injured during your trip, this policy will cover loss of sight, limbs, permanent disablement, and death.
- Personal baggage. Columbus Premier Direct covers your personal baggage against loss, wear and tear, theft and damage.
- Delayed baggage. The policy offers cover to replace necessities due to delayed baggage.
- Travel delay. Columbus Direct Premier offers cash compensation for additional expenses that occur as a result of flight delays six hours.
- Missed connection or departure. If you miss your connecting flight or departure due to unavoidable circumstances, this policy has got you covered for up to $2000.
Columbus Direct Premier Services
Columbus Direct understands that emergencies require immediate attention. They are available 24-hours a day, and provide an emergency helpline. Columbus Direct Premier will organise for your transportation to a hospital. The emergency repatriation and overseas medical expenses provide a maximum benefit of $20 million. It’s important to note that this is only covered with international travel. Columbus Direct Premier does not cover medical expenses or emergency repatriation for domestic travellers.
Why Choose Columbus Direct Premier?
The services offered by Columbus Direct Premier are not just restricted to Australians. Non-citizens and expats can access these services, on the provision that they have been residents for three months. Columbus Direct Travel Insurance is a licensed insurance provider and their travel policies are underwritten by Lloyd’s.
What are the General Exclusions of the Direct Premier Policy?
There are exclusions/limitations that come with the Direct Premier Policy. These exclusions include:
- You cannot make claims for trips that were booked against medical advice or those that begun after a terminal prognosis was made. This policy does not cover trips with the intention of getting medical care.
- You are not covered if your pregnancy has pre-existing conditions. It also does not cover pregnancies is beyond 26 weeks or multiple pregnancies.
- You are not covered for any foreseen circumstances that would likely be claimed.
- The cover does not extend to leisure or sports that bring about significant bodily injury. Some of these activities include free climbing, quad biking, jet-skiing, mountaineering, diving in caves, ice or wrecks, competitive and professional sports.
- Accidents that occur on a motorbike (or similar vehicle) with an engine more powerful than 125cc, if the driver is not fully licensed in the country where the accident occurred, and passengers need to have worn safety helmets.
- Self-inflicted injuries and accidents are exempted from coverage.
- The policy does not cover medical treatment related to drunkenness, alcoholism, drug use or sexually transmitted diseases.
- Claims made as a result of failure to comply with or wilful breaking of the law.
- The travel insurance policy does not cover war, invasions, riots, civil wars and other occurrences under similar circumstances.
If your intention is not to return to the country, you are not covered by this insurance policy. You must be 18 years of age and older to travel without an adult companion. Persons travelling with a terminal prognosis or against medical advice are not eligible for this cover. The cover is also not eligible for persons travelling with the intention of obtaining elective medical or convalescent care.
Who is Eligible in Getting a Columbus Direct Premier Travel Plan?
Columbus Direct Standard Travel plan covers Australian and New Zealand citizens, non-citizens and expats who have been residing in the country for three months or more. The travel plan only covers trips that begin and end in Australia or the country of application. In order to obtain a Columbus Direct travel insurance policy, the applicant must be no older than 84 years of age at the commencement date of the policy.
How to Make a Claim with Columbus Direct
Columbus Direct does not have a complicated claims process. First, you will need to request for a claims form. You claim needs to include your full name, contact details such as your telephone number and mailing address, schedule number and description of the claim. Global Claims Services Ltd is the appointed handler of claims on behalf of Columbus Direct and you can obtain the claims form from them.
Personal baggage and monetary losses need to be reported to the police in 24-hours. You will be required to provide proof of ownership for any items claims and the police report as well.
If claiming medical attention, you will need to provide medical documents showing the illness or treatment plus treatment received along with an account for payment.
For claims for damages or losses where the carrier is at fault, notify the carrier in writing within three days and obtain a Property Irregularity Report (PIR).