Best Rated Cloths, Scourers & Sponges Brand: Scotch-Brite
Easy to use, durable and high performance, if you're in the market for cloths, scourers or sponges, then Aussies recommend Scotch-Brite.
Key facts about cloths, scourers and sponges
- If you don't have a dishwasher or if you just need to scrub away some tough baked-on food, having the right supplies at your disposal can make the job a whole lot easier.
- The most important factors to consider when shopping for kitchen cleaning supplies are what you need to clean and the durability of the product.
Types of cloths, scourers and sponges
If you're looking for products to help you tackle all those scrubbing and wiping jobs you need to take on in the kitchen, you're spoiled for choice.
Sponges are typically made of cellulose, foam or even silicone, with some products featuring an abrasive pad on one side for those tough scrubbing jobs. The sponge/scourer is the weapon of choice for some home kitchens, but others prefer to have a stainless-steel or copper scourer on hand for when some elbow grease is required. In terms of cleaning cloths, you could opt for humble blue domestic wipes or consider cellulose sponge cloths or even microfibre cleaning cloths.
It all depends on what you need to clean and your own personal preferences. While these unassuming and affordable products are often forgotten about, they perform some of the most important jobs in the kitchen. That's why it's essential to compare your options and find the right sponge, scourer or cloth for your needs.
How to compare cloths, scourers and sponges
What should you look for when shopping for products to help you scrub and wipe your way through a host of kitchen chores? Be sure to consider the following factors when comparing your options.
What you need to clean
This is the most crucial factor to consider when shopping for kitchen scourers, sponges and the like. Different products are obviously better suited to tackling different tasks. For example, a stainless-steel scourer is designed for heavy-duty scrubbing of pots and pans, while a sponge can be used for everything from washing dishes to wiping down countertops.
The price of kitchen cleaning cloths ranges from less than $0.10 each for basic wipes through to around $0.30-$1.50 each for sponge cloths and more for microfibre options. Sponges are typically priced between $0.30 and $1.50 each, while the ever-popular sponge scourer could set you back anywhere between $0.30 and $2.30 each. If you're shopping for a scourer, you can buy basic scourer pads for between $0.10 and $0.50 each, while stainless-steel and copper options are more expensive.
Consider the tasks you want to perform. Are you just looking for something to scrub dishes, or do you want a product that's equally at home washing dishes and wiping down your kitchen bench? Does the sponge or cloth need to be used on glassware or other delicate products without scratching?
Some products are also suitable for use in multiple areas of the home, such as wiping down bathroom surfaces as well as taking care of all your kitchen cleaning needs.
Look for a product that will still be going strong after multiple uses. You can check online reviews from other customers to gauge the durability of some products, but otherwise it's a matter of trial and error.
Some scrubbers and scourers come with an attached handle so you can clean without getting your hands dirty. This also provides extra grip if you need to scrub away tough, baked-on food. Other brushes and scourers have a handle to make it easy to reach those hard-to-clean areas of dishes and glassware.
If you're an eco-conscious buyer and you go through multiple packs of kitchen cleaning products each year, you may want to look for products that are biodegradable.
When choosing a sponge, look for a product that dries quickly to reduce the risk of mould.
Size and shape
The size and shape of the product not only affects how easily it can access tight spaces or the corners of dishes, but also how easy it is to grip. Thickness plays a part too, affecting manoeuvrability and feel when you're scrubbing dishes.
3 things to consider
There are a few other factors you should consider before you start shopping:
- Finding the right detergent. Choosing the right scourer, scrubber or sponge is only part of the battle when cleaning dishes. The other part is finding a dishwashing liquid that breaks down grease and removes stubborn food – check out our guide to the best dishwashing liquids in Australia for more information.
- Look for a multitasker. Kitchen cleaning products can be called upon to perform a wide range of duties, from removing rice stuck to the bottom of a pan to wiping up benchtop spills. That's why versatility is key when shopping for supplies – rather than choosing a one-trick pony, it's worth looking for a product like a sponge scourer that can tackle multiple tasks.
- Anti-bacterial. Worried about the spread of germs in your kitchen? Some products feature an anti-bacterial treatment to help kill germs on the surfaces you clean. Cleaning sponges often, and replacing products regularly when they get too dirty or worn out, will also help you keep your kitchen hygienic.
Best rated cloth, scourer and sponge brand award breakdown
|Black & Gold