We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
For cleaners, a well-written and thorough cleaning service agreement is integral to the success of the business. By putting the terms and conditions down on paper, you're not only safeguarding your business, but you're instilling your customers with confidence that you will get the job done to an agreed standard.
To help you write an agreement up, take a look at our answers to some commonly asked questions.
What's in this guide?
- What is a cleaning service agreement?
- When should I use a cleaning service agreement?
- What does a cleaning service agreement include?
- How effective is a cleaning service agreement?
- Do I need a lawyer for a cleaning service agreement?
- Get access to customisable cleaning service agreement templates online
- How do I write a cleaning service agreement?
- Where to get free legal documents and templates like a cleaning service agreement
What is a cleaning service agreement?
A cleaning service agreement is a type of contract between a cleaning business and its customers. Using a formal agreement like this helps both parties understand exactly what is expected of them in the relationship, and acts as a form of protection should the expectations fail to be met. For example, if the cleaner does not deliver a good standard of service, or if the customer fails to pay for the service.
Download this template at Lawpath
When should I use a cleaning service agreement?
If you have a cleaning business, it's best practice to use an agreement as soon as you onboard any new customers. For households, you can devise a house cleaning service agreement. For larger jobs, such as cleaning offices, restaurants and other businesses, you will need to use a more comprehensive agreement.
What does a cleaning service agreement include?
- Summary of cleaning services: what will be cleaned and how often
- Start and ends dates of the services
- A description of who will supply the cleaning supplies and products
- Contact information of both the cleaner and client
- Payment details: set rates, deposits and how often the client should pay
- Cancellation policy to cover any lost costs and time
- Client confidentiality clause
- Indemnification policy to limit liability to property damage
- Warranty or guarantee of the standard of service
- Grounds for termination
- Dispute management and resolution
How effective is a cleaning service agreement?
Establishing a clear cleaning service agreement will ensure a professional relationship between you, as the service provider, and your clients. Ensuring that all parties know where they stand will prevent any disputes arising in the future, thus limiting legal action. A services agreement is also a great way to protect your business financially. As well as holding your client liable for any un-paid work, you can also charge cancellation fees for last-minute cancellations if you include the relevant clauses.
Do I need a lawyer for a cleaning service agreement?
A well-written service agreement can hold a lot of power, which is why it is a good idea to ask a legal professional to look over your document. If you don't want to hire legal help, you can use a cleaning service agreement template to help you get started instead.
Get access to customisable cleaning service agreement templates online
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Does your company belong in this list?
How do I write a cleaning service agreement?
When you start writing up your cleaning service agreement, it's essential to be as specific as possible. Each job you do will vary depending on the requirements of the customers. The agreement should reflect these changes. Providing a clear and detailed description of the services you will provide for your customers will reduce the chances of ambiguity further down the line. For example, make sure you specify exactly which areas you will clean, how often and when.
Where to get free legal documents and templates like a cleaning service agreement
We've rounded up some of the best places to find legal documents and templates, including a cleaning service agreement template. These are a great place to start if you want some free help putting together your agreement.
- Lawpath. An online legal resource designed for small businesses and entrepreneurs. You can view free templates on its website, but you'll need to sign up to download and customise them.
- LegalVision. LegalVision gives users unlimited use of legal document templates and access to a marketplace of lawyers for a monthly membership fee.
- PandaDoc. Find a number of useful online templates that can be viewed free of charge.
- LawDepot. Lawdepot provides a vast selection of free online documents to choose from including a cleaning service agreement template.
More guides on Finder
Property prices: You need a $100K deposit in every capital city – except this one
Saving a 20% deposit for the median priced property in most Australian cities is a six figure task.
Amazon Prime Day 2021 Australia: Early deals on now
Amazon Prime Day 2021 officially starts on June 21 - or does it? Here's a stack of early-bird deals you can get right now.
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day best home deals: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Bitcoin up 21%: Will El Salvador’s big news kick off a fresh bull run?
Bi-weekly gains of just under 9%.
Ask an Expert