We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
For cleaners, a well-written and thorough cleaning service agreement is integral to the success of the business. By putting the terms and conditions down on paper, you're not only safeguarding your business, but you're instilling your customers with confidence that you will get the job done to an agreed standard.
To help you write an agreement up, take a look at our answers to some commonly asked questions.
What's in this guide?
- What is a cleaning service agreement?
- When should I use a cleaning service agreement?
- What does a cleaning service agreement include?
- How effective is a cleaning service agreement?
- Do I need a lawyer for a cleaning service agreement?
- Get access to customisable cleaning service agreement templates online
- How do I write a cleaning service agreement?
- Where to get free legal documents and templates like a cleaning service agreement
What is a cleaning service agreement?
A cleaning service agreement is a type of contract between a cleaning business and its customers. Using a formal agreement like this helps both parties understand exactly what is expected of them in the relationship, and acts as a form of protection should the expectations fail to be met. For example, if the cleaner does not deliver a good standard of service, or if the customer fails to pay for the service.
Download this template at Lawpath
When should I use a cleaning service agreement?
If you have a cleaning business, it's best practice to use an agreement as soon as you onboard any new customers. For households, you can devise a house cleaning service agreement. For larger jobs, such as cleaning offices, restaurants and other businesses, you will need to use a more comprehensive agreement.
What does a cleaning service agreement include?
- Summary of cleaning services: what will be cleaned and how often
- Start and ends dates of the services
- A description of who will supply the cleaning supplies and products
- Contact information of both the cleaner and client
- Payment details: set rates, deposits and how often the client should pay
- Cancellation policy to cover any lost costs and time
- Client confidentiality clause
- Indemnification policy to limit liability to property damage
- Warranty or guarantee of the standard of service
- Grounds for termination
- Dispute management and resolution
How effective is a cleaning service agreement?
Establishing a clear cleaning service agreement will ensure a professional relationship between you, as the service provider, and your clients. Ensuring that all parties know where they stand will prevent any disputes arising in the future, thus limiting legal action. A services agreement is also a great way to protect your business financially. As well as holding your client liable for any un-paid work, you can also charge cancellation fees for last-minute cancellations if you include the relevant clauses.
Do I need a lawyer for a cleaning service agreement?
A well-written service agreement can hold a lot of power, which is why it is a good idea to ask a legal professional to look over your document. If you don't want to hire legal help, you can use a cleaning service agreement template to help you get started instead.
Get access to customisable cleaning service agreement templates online
Does your company belong in this list?
How do I write a cleaning service agreement?
When you start writing up your cleaning service agreement, it's essential to be as specific as possible. Each job you do will vary depending on the requirements of the customers. The agreement should reflect these changes. Providing a clear and detailed description of the services you will provide for your customers will reduce the chances of ambiguity further down the line. For example, make sure you specify exactly which areas you will clean, how often and when.
Where to get free legal documents and templates like a cleaning service agreement
We've rounded up some of the best places to find legal documents and templates, including a cleaning service agreement template. These are a great place to start if you want some free help putting together your agreement.
- Lawpath. An online legal resource designed for small businesses and entrepreneurs. You can view free templates on its website, but you'll need to sign up to download and customise them.
- LegalVision. LegalVision gives users unlimited use of legal document templates and access to a marketplace of lawyers for a monthly membership fee.
- PandaDoc. Find a number of useful online templates that can be viewed free of charge.
- LawDepot. Lawdepot provides a vast selection of free online documents to choose from including a cleaning service agreement template.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 50% off car essentials at Catch, half-price meat thermometers, eBay Plus tech sale.
Web developer resumes
Find out what to include in a web developer resume and how a customisable template could help you land your dream job.
How to start house sitting
How to snag and what to expect from your house sitting gig.
How to start a YouTube channel
Read the key points of starting a YouTube channel, including the equipment you'll need and the legal considerations to keep in mind.
Treadmill removal services
Here’s how you can ensure your treadmill is moved safely and at a convenient time.
How to start an event photography business
From practical steps to key legal documents, here's your checklist for launching an event photography company.
Removal truck services
Save time and hassle when you move by booking a professional removal truck service.
Spa removal services
Free yourself from the hassle of disposing of your spa with the help of a professional.
How to start an oven cleaning business
Learn the key points to know before launching an oven cleaning company.
How to start a graphic design business
How to use your design skills as the basis for a profitable enterprise you can run from the comfort of your home.
Ask an Expert