Everything you need to know about transferring Citibank Rewards points to the Velocity frequent flyer program.
The Citi Rewards program allows you to redeem points for a wide range of rewards, including Velocity frequent flyer points. This latter option gives you a way to earn more frequent flyer points through your Citi credit-card spending. Here we provide key information about transferring your Citibank Rewards points (Citi Rewards) to Velocity.
Citibank Velocity rewards credit-card options
The following cards allow you to earn Citibank Rewards when you use them for eligible purchases. When you have earned enough points, you can transfer them to your Velocity frequent flyer account.
- Citi Rewards Credit Card – Classic Card. A classic card with rewards but no complimentary insurance offers. Get 1 Citibank Rewards point per $1 spent on eligible purchases.
- Citi Rewards Credit Card – Platinum Card. The Platinum card earns 1.25 Citibank Rewards points per $1 spent, and includes complimentary insurance.
- Citi Rewards Credit Card – Signature. Earns 1.5 Citibank Rewards points per $1 spent on eligible purchases.
- Citi Prestige Card. Awards 2 Citibank Rewards points per $1 spent on eligible purchases.
How to get Velocity points with a Citibank credit card
You can redeem your Citibank Rewards points for Velocity points using the following steps
- Log in to your Citibank Online account.
- Select “Rewards” from the navigation bar at the top of the page.
- Follow the prompts to redeem rewards.
- Provide your Velocity membership details when prompted and complete the transfer.
Alternatively, you can transfer points over the phone
- Citi Prestige cards: 1800 818 008
- All other rewards cards: 13 24 84
Once the transfer has been confirmed, your Velocity points will be credited to your account within five business days.
Keep in mind the following transfer conditions for different Citibank Rewards credit cards:
Citi Classic Rewards and Platinum Rewards credit cards
- 2.5 Citibank Rewards points = 1 Velocity point
- There is a minimum transfer of 25,000 Citibank Rewards points per transaction
Citi Signature Rewards and Prestige credit cards
- 2 Citibank Rewards points = 1 Velocity point
- There is a minimum transfer of 20,000 Citibank Rewards points per transaction
What is the dollar value of Velocity points I can earn with a Citibank credit card?
While Citi Rewards cards don’t directly earn Velocity points, you can work out the dollar value of these points if you convert them to Velocity points using the table below.
|Card||Citi Rewards earn rate||Transfer rate||Velocity points per $1 equivalent|
|Citi Rewards Credit Card - Classic Card||1 point per $1 spent||2.5 Citi Rewards points = 1 Velocity point||0.4 Velocity points per $1|
|Citi Rewards Credit Card - Platinum Card||1.25 points per $1 spent||2.5 Citi Rewards points = 1 Velocity point||0.5 Velocity points per $1|
|Citi Rewards Credit Card - Signature||1.5 points per $1 spent||2 Citi Rewards points = 1 Velocity point||0.74 Velocity points per $1|
|Citi Prestige Card||2 points per $1 spent||2 Citi Rewards points = 1 Velocity point||1 Velocity point per $1|
Factors to consider before applying
Before you apply for a Citibank Rewards credit card, you should be aware of the following details if you plan to use the card to earn Velocity points:
- Velocity membership. You must be a member of the Velocity frequent flyer program before you can transfer points between rewards programs. Velocity membership is free and available on the Velocity website.
- Points transfer rate. When you convert Citibank Rewards points to Velocity points, you will receive less Velocity point than if you use a direct-earn Velocity frequent flyer credit card.
- Transfer time. Allow up to five business days to transfer points to your Velocity account.
- Annual fee. Rewards credit cards only become cost-effective when you get back more than you paid. A low conversion rate between Citibank and Velocity requires a higher annual spend before you reach the rewards break-even point.
- Limits. As detailed earlier, there is a minimum amount of Citibank Rewards points you must convert when you transfer them to the Velocity program.
- Increase points with Velocity partners. If you use your Citi Rewards credit card with Velocity program partners, you can earn points twice: once through the Velocity program, and once through your Citi Rewards account. You can then transfer the Citi Rewards points you earn to your Velocity account to boost the balance.
- Spend limits. Only a portion of your monthly spend will earn Citibank Rewards points. The table below details the caps on spending.
Points caps with Citibank Rewards Credit Cards
|Credit card||Portion of domestic monthly spend that earns points||Portion of international monthly spend that earns points|
|Citi Rewards – Classic||$5,000||No cap|
|Citi Gold credit card||$5,000||No cap|
|Citi Rewards – Platinum||$10,000||No cap|
|Citi Rewards – Signature||$20,000||N/A|
|Citi Prestige credit card||N/A||N/A|
Make sure you compare direct-earn Velocity frequent flyer credit cards if you’re in the market for racking up Velocity points. These products can reward you with more Velocity points per $1 spent. Keep in mind that rewards points on offer from an institution such as CItibank can be used in more ways than just Velocity points. For example, you can redeem Citi Rewards points for merchandise and travel rewards, whereas Velocity mainly offers travel-focused rewards. By considering all of these details, you can compare a range of cards and find one that offers the greatest value based on your spending habits and rewards goals.Back to top