Don’t waste time. Know the facts so you can make a decision between the Citibank Plus transaction account and the 28 Degrees credit card.
The Citibank Plus and 28 Degrees Mastercard are both highly sought products of travelling, so it pays to know what the key differences between the cards are.
- Is a transaction account with a linked debit Mastercard.
- No access to extra funds if you’ve used all your money in your account.
- If card is lost or stolen, you may be able to access your money at a Citibank branch.
- Exchange rates are updated daily on the Mastercard website.
- No credit check involved.
28 Degrees Mastercard
- Is a credit card, so interest is payable.
- Worldwide emergency card replacement.
- Has complimentary travel insurance and shopper’s protection.
- Exchange rates are settled on a daily basis on the Mastercard website.
- Credit check involved and you’ll need to have an income to service a minimum credit limit of $6,000.
How do I compare the Citibank Plus and 28 Degrees Card?
|Citibank Plus||28 Degrees|
|Annual fee||$0||$0 p.a.|
|Minimum credit limit||N/A||$6,000|
|International transaction fees on purchases||0%||N/A|
|Currency conversion fees||N/A||0%|
|Interest rate on purchases||N/A||21.99% p.a.|
|Interest rate on cash advances||N/A||21.99% p.a.|
|Overseas cash advance fee||Nil (if you withdraw from a Citibank branded ATM)||3% of the cash advance or $4 (whichever is greater)|
*Exchange rates are correct as of 30th January 2015, AUD to USD.
What is the difference between an international transaction fee and currency conversion fee?
They both refer to the same fee but tend to have different names depending on the product. When talking about debit cards, the term is usually 'international transaction fee'. When talking about credit cards, the term 'currency conversion fee' is used.
The fees are charged when a transaction requires one currency to be exchange into another and generally only one is charged. I.e. either an international fee or currency conversion fee.
Any other notable features?
- Free bottle of wine at eligible restaurants.
- Free international withdrawals from Citibank ATMs.
- Complimentary worldwide concierge.
- Interest free days on purchases.
Why not take both?
- You can use the Citibank Plus for your everyday purchases and you don’t need to worry about interest charges.
- You can use the 28 Degrees for emergencies, hotel bookings and authorisations.