We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Are you struggling financially?
If you're struggling financially and would like to speak to someone for free financial advice, information and assistance you can call the Financial Counsellors hotline on 1800 007 007 (open from 9:30am to 4pm, Monday to Friday). If you are suffering financial problems related to the coronavirus pandemic you may be eligible for additional support. Find out more here: https://www.finder.com.au/coronavirus-financial-help
⚠️ Warning about Borrowing
Do you really need a loan today?*
It can be expensive to borrow small amounts of money and borrowing may not solve your money problems.
Check your options before you borrow:
- For information about other options for managing bills and debts, ring 1800 007 007 from anywhere in Australia to talk to a free and independent financial counsellor
- Talk to your electricity, gas, phone or water provider to see if you can work out a payment plan
- If you are on government benefits, ask if you can receive an advance from Centrelink: Phone: 13 17 94
The Government's MoneySmart website shows you how small amount loans work and suggests other options that may help you.
* This statement is an Australian Government requirement under the National Consumer Credit Protection Act 2009.
How does a Cigno loan work?
Cigno offers loans up to $1,000. People can apply online and when the application is submitted, Cigno will review the last three months of their bank statements to help determine their eligibility. If approved, customers are required to pay a fee of 5% of the loan amount on the day they receive your funds. This is usually the day after they're approved.
The entire loan needs to be repaid within 56 days and the first repayment is due within 20 days. Customers will receive their repayment schedule when they're approved.
Features offered by Cigno Loans
- Loan amount. Customers can apply to borrow up to $1,000.
- Turnaround. Once approved for a loan, customers can expect to receive your funds within the next business day.
What are the risks of short term loans?
- Unaffordable repayments. Consider the size of the regular repayments and ensure the loan is able to be repaid during the loan term. If not, extra fees apply to extend it. Be careful, since repayment periods for these kinds of loans tend to be shorter than regular loans.
- Multiple applications. Every loan application shows up on credit reports. While lenders might not consider credit history, several applications within a short period can have a negative impact on your credit score moving forward.
- Check rates and fees. Be crystal clear on what will be charged for late payments or a default on the loan. The total cost of the loan matters here - lenders can charge interest rates on top of everything else.
- Long-term repercussions and legal issues. Once the loan agreement is signed, the customer is bound to its conditions until the loan and any associated rates and fees have been paid. Typically these loans are unsecured, which means that the lender can initiate legal proceedings against the customer if they can't repay.
Fees charged on a Cigno loan
Cigno is not regulated under the National Consumer Credit Protection Act 2009. The fees it charges are as follows and depend on how many payments you make towards your loan.
- 1-payment loan: 35% of your loan amount
- 2-payment loan: 45% of your loan amount
- 3-payment loan: 60% of your loan amount
- 4-payment loan: 74% of your loan amount
- Account-keeping fee: $5.95
The following fees may apply in the case of a default or rescheduled payment:
- Same day deposit fee: $16
- Priority transfer fee: $16
- Extension of first payment fee: $22
- Change of payment date and amount fee: $22
- Payment reschedule fee: $30
- Collections phone contact fee: $8.80
- Collections tracking fee: $50
- Investigator/handover fee: $175 + legal fees
- First dishonour letter fee: $30
- Second dishonour letter fee: $50
- Third dishonour letter fee: $50
- Dishonoured payment fee: $79
How to apply
You can apply for a Cigno loan online or you can contact GSSF directly. If you apply with GSSF, the application may be longer and the funds are deposited via a cheque in the mail rather than with an electronic funds transfer (EFT). When completing the application, you'll need to provide the following information:
- Your personal details, such as your address and your name
- Your contact information
- Bank statements for the past 90 days that demonstrate a regular income
- Identification such as your passport number, driver's licence, proof of age card or birth certificate
Your credit details are obtained through Credit Sense, which is an external company that uses your online banking information to provide Cigno with the required details.
If approved, you can expect to receive your funds the same day, or on the next business day if you file your application after 2.40pm AEST.
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: 11 great deals you can still get
Forgot that Prime Day was on? Don't panic! Here are 11 unmissable deals you can still get today.
How to buy SPDR S-and-amp;P World ex Australia Hedged Fund units
Steps to owning and managing SPDR S and P World ex Australian (Hedged) Fund ETF units.
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: All the best deals from Day 2
Here are all the best deals from Amazon Prime Day Australia's second day - including the return of dirt-cheap Nintendo Switch consoles.
Prime Day deal: $100 off Sony’s ‘Bose Killing’ Headphones
Get 33% off Sony WH1000XM3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones during Amazon Prime Day 2021. Here's how to get the deal before it disappears.
How to get $120 off Nintendo Switch on Amazon Prime Day
Amazon Australia is selling the Nintendo Switch video game console for $349 during Prime Day - that's over $120 off the RRP.
Amazon Prime Day’s best deals on big-ticket items: Up to 46% off
From Segways to stand-up paddleboards, these are the best Prime Day savings on the most expensive items.
Nacon RIG 500 Pro HC Gen 2 review: Super comfortable gaming headphones
The Nacon Rig 500 Pro HC headphones have wide console and PC compatibility, Dolby Atmos licensing and a genuinely comfortable design, even for longer gaming sessions.
Oppo Find X3 Neo 5G review: Oppo’s better flagship phone
The Oppo Find X3 Neo lacks the utter flagship features of the Find X3 Pro, but you won't miss them, while you will enjoy its lower price point.
7 health insurance deals to save you money at tax time
Avoid the MLS tax and get a rebate by taking out health insurance. Here are 7 deals that’ll save you money on your tax returns.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Milton Corporation (MLT ↑16.0%), Oneview Healthcare (ONE ↑12.8%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 22 June 2021.
Ask an Expert