The spirit of Christmas is strong at these magical Christmas market hotspots.
When the Christmas tree in the Queen Victoria Building goes up and the Christmas lights in your neighbourhood go on, that’s when you know Sydney’s festive season has truly begun.
With it comes an exciting array of Christmas markets, right here in Sydney. It feels like each year more and more pop up and if you’re looking for a unique gift to put under the tree or want to celebrate as the Europeans do, these markets have the goods.
Feature image: The Brewery Yard Christmas Markets
The best Christmas markets in Sydney
1. The Brewery Yard Christmas Markets
This yuletide the Brewery Markets will be taking over the Central Park Living Mall with twilight Christmas markets on levels 1 and 3.
Like the mall itself, there’s a twist on the norm at these markets, which . This includes hip-hop Christmas carollers, art demonstrations, workshops and merry elves. For those here to shop, there will be 50 stalls selling arts, crafts and Bavarian treats.
- When: 18 December 2018, 10am-9pm (closed from 4-5pm)
- Where: Central Park Mall, 28 Broadway, Chippendale
- More information: The Brewery Yard Markets
2. Sydney Living Museums’ Christmas Fare
Set in the grounds of the historic Hyde Park Barracks, this annual Christmas fair boasts over 40 stalls showcasing wares and produce from Sydney’s finest and most promising suppliers and creators.
There’s free entry into the museum, a bar on site and live music from local bands throughout the night.
- When: 13 December 2018, 4-9pm
- Where: Hyde Park Barracks
- Cost: Gold coin donation
- More information: Sydney Living Museums
3. Paddington Christmas Markets
Twilight Christmas markets seem to be all the rage, and Paddington has cottoned on to the idea. Last year it held its festive markets the Thursday just before Christmas, where handpicked local designers gathered outside the historic Paddington Uniting Church to deliver bespoke handicrafts, unique stocking stuffers and artisan Christmas treats.
This year, it's hosting its twilight markets a little earlier with promises of good food, music, floristry classes and free gift wrapping.
- When: 20 December 2018, 4-9pm
- Where: Paddington Uniting Church, 395 Oxford Street, Paddington
- Cost: Free
- More information: Paddington Markets
4. Finders Keepers Spring/Summer Market
The seasonal Finders Keepers Market is one that needs no introduction. It’s a melting pot of fashion, craft, art and design from independent sellers and makers, and because the event curators constantly seek fresh new talent to add to the bill no two markets are ever alike. Food trucks and live music set the scene, so there will be no shortage of entertainment or sustenance to get you through the 200 stalls.
- When: 30 November - 2 December 2018
- Where: The Cutaway, Barangaroo Reserve 1 Merriman St, Barangaroo NSW 2000
- Cost: $5
- More information: Finders Keepers SS Market
Image: Jacquie Manning
5. Carriageworks Christmas Farmers Market
This year, Carriageworks is doing something a little different changing up its twilight market into a bright and sunny daytime one.
It's a festive version of the venue's weekend Farmers Market so the primary focus is on seasonal produce - which is perfect if you want to take the reins and whip up a home-cooked Christmas meal.
Held two days before Christmas, it’s also great for that last-minute shop before the holidays kick in! Freshly made food is available to purchase and Christmas carollers will roam throughout.
- When: 22 December 2018, 8am-1pm
- Where: Carriageworks, 245 Wilson Street, Eveleigh
- Cost: Free
- More information: Carriageworks
6. Mosman Christmas Markets
During Christmas, Mosman’s standard weekend market is transformed into a festive feast for the senses. There’s a seemingly endless number of local produce and craft stalls to choose great gifts and stocking stuffers from.
- When: 6 December 2018, 4:30pm-9pm
- Where: Mosman Square and Village Green, Spit Junction
- Cost: Free
- More information: Mosman Council
7. Chippendale Christmas Markets
The Chippendale Christmas Markets makes its debut this year and features a curated list of 15 boutiques helmed by local makers and shakers. This includes Ellery, Something For Jess, Whit Rabbit Gallery, Graffitiore and Gallerie Pompom.
A healthy load of vegan products will be available to purchase across the boutiques and any bottles of water purchased will have their proceeds donated to Maggie’s rescue.
As an added bonus, the first 100 people to pop by the Something For Jess cafe will receive a vegan Christmas basket.
- When: 9 December 2018, 11am-3pm
- Where: Sutherland Lane, behind Something For Jess cafe
- Cost: Free
- More information: Chippendale Christmas Markets
8. Sydney Fish Market’s 36-hour seafood marathon
This Sydney tradition has been running for over 20 years and it’s not slowing down for anyone. It’s a 36-hour seafood shopping spree and your last chance to grab the freshest seafood in Sydney to cook on the barbie this Christmas. For more traditional chefs, Christmas turkeys, hams and cold meats are also available.
- When: 23-24 December 2018
- Where: Sydney Fish Market, Bank Street, Pyrmont
- Cost: Free
- More information: Sydney Fish Market
9. Kirribilli Markets
Founded in 1976, the Kirribilli Markets have grown to become one of the best loved markets in Sydney’s North Shore. The markets alternate every weekend between a general market and an art, design and fashion market with over 200 stalls present at each. From mid-December, the art, design and fashion market takes a break, but the general market is still up and running.
- When: 9 December 2018 (art, design and fashion market), 15 & 22 December 2018 (general market)
- Where: Alfred Street South, Milson’s Point
- Cost: Free
- More information: The Kirribilli Markets
10. The Big Design Market Sydney
Do your Christmas shopping, take the kids for a day out, treat yourself to a meal out and support local at the Big Design Market.
Over 200 stall holders will be showing off their wares which range from fashion and homewares to cosmetics and drinks like gin and kombucha.
Showbags are also available for early birds and there's even the chance to win over $1,300 in prizes.
- When: 7-9 December, 10am
- Where: Royal Hall of Industries, Moore Park
- Cost: $2, kids under 12 free
- More information: The Big Design Market
11. Macarthur Christmas Markets
For a family-friendly affair, it doesn’t get more entertaining than the Macarthur Christmas Markets. It's got everything from family and kids’ activities to those sought-after market stalls.
Pack the kids into the car and head down to Campbelltown for the day. They’ll love it!
- When: 7 and 21 December 2018, 5pm-9pm
- Where: 200 Gilchrist Drive, Campbelltown
- More information: Macarthur Christmas Markets
More Christmas Stories
Whether you’ve had too much eggnog or are held hostage by your family, our list of Christmas movies has you covered. Read more…
Here are the best Christmas decorations, no matter what your budget is. Read more…
Upgrade Christmas with top games and accessories for the PC gamer in your life. Read more…
Switch it up this holiday season with a gift sure to put a smile on any Nintendo fan's face. Read more…
Give the gift of play with presents perfect for PlayStation 4 owners of all stripes. Read more…
Make an Xbox owner's year with these Christmas gift ideas on games and accessories. Read more…