These markets are getting into the Christmas spirit. Are you?
Christmas is the time for Canberra to show off its creative side, and the city doesn’t disappoint. Many of its weekly markets take on a Christmas flavour to put you in the right mood while the city itself hosts one stellar event filled with lights, sounds and market stalls.
Are you in?
1. Canberra Christmas Market
Set over the second weekend in December, Canberra Christmas Markets specialises in gifts for the season. The same stallholders will be there both days, so if you’re the kind that deliberates over presents, pop by Saturday to window shop and return Sunday to seal the deal.
- When: 8-9 December 2018, 9am-3pm
- Where: Fitzroy Building, Exhibition Park in Canberra (EPIC)
- More information: Canberra Christmas Market
2. Eco Elves Night Market
Be a good little Santa’s helper this year and spread some ecological Christmas cheer at this enviro-friendly market. This family-friendly market features over 45 stalls selling local, handmade, fair-trade and upcycled environmentally-friendly gifts. During the night, there will be live music and food and wine stalls, so bring a rug and settle in to watch the sunset over the lake.
- When: TBC
- Where: Cnr of Lennox Crossing and Lawson Crescent, Acton
- More information: Eco Elves Night Market
3. Handmade Market
Now in its tenth year, the quarterly Handmade Markets has grown to become a Canberra institution. It’s the brainchild of two women who wanted to create a space that focused on local designers. When it began, it had 35 stalls. Now, it features over 150. Naturally, Christmas is one of the biggest times in the year for the markets so you can expect the scene here to be bustling and the items to be exquisite.
- When: 7-9 December 2018
- Where: Coorong and Bundawang Buildings, Exhibition Park in Canberra (EPIC)
- More information: Handmade Market
4. Old Bus Depot Markets
The tourist mecca for market stall gifts gets a special twist during Christmas. Pop by any following Saturday or Sunday until 23 December to be treated to a world of Christmas wreaths, gingerbread houses, trees, baubles, mince tarts and puddings. Need to get your Christmas on? We know a place.
- When: Weekends before Christmas 10am-4pm
- Where: Old Bus Depot, 21 Wentworth Avenue, Kingston
- More information: Old Bus Depot Markets
5. Christmas Fair and Open Day
France boasts some of the best Christmas markets in Europe, so naturally its alliance in Canberra delivers on the goods. Kicking celebrations off early, this event provides local vendors with a space to showcase their handcrafted products and food the alliance with a means to showcase its classes, events and services to the public.
- When: 17 November 2018, 10am-3pm
- Where: Alliance Francaise de Canberra, 66 McCaughey Street, Turner
- More information: Christmas Fair and Open Day
Feature image: Old Bus Depot Markets