The magic of Christmas lives in these markets.
From November, the city of Brisbane becomes a breathtaking wonderland as plazas and spaces are transformed to resemble the traditional Christmas markets of Germany. Fairy lights lace stalls selling handmade wares and trinkets, historic buildings are lit up in all their glory and Christmas trees abound.
There’s a buzz in the air that can only be created by the season and with so many markets in various locations around Brisbane, here’s where you need to be so you don’t miss a moment of their majesty.
1. South Bank Christmas Village
The South Bank Christmas Village is the official seasonal market of the city and is a not-to-be missed event.
Located on the cobblestoned streets of Stanley Street Plaza, it’s a massive nine-day bender filled with handicraft stalls and Christmas cheer.
- When: 15-23 December
- Where: South Bank Parklands, South Bank
- More information: South Bank Christmas Markets
2. BrisStyle Brisbane Twilight Market
Set to the backdrop of the historic King George Square, BrisStyle is an arresting sight. With the Town Hall lit up, the stalls dressed in lights and jazz music playing in the background, you’ll feel worlds away the moment you step inside.
This year, you can also up your Christmas card game with Brisbane Hand Lettering’s free workshops.
- When: 9 December 2017, 9am-3pm
- Where: King George Square, Brisbane
- More information: BrisStyle Brisbane Twilight Market
3. QAGOMA Store Christmas Design Market
If there’s one place that knows high quality art, it’s the Queensland Art Gallery | Gallery of Modern Art (QAGOMA). So when it comes to seeking high-quality artistic wares, its annual Christmas Design Market is your go-to.
Boasting over 40 stalls selling ceramics, textiles and paper products, these aren’t gifts, they’re statement pieces.
- When: 25 November 2017, from 9am
- Where: QAGOMA
- More information: Christmas Design Market QAGOMA
4. Brisbane Fair Trade Christmas Market
Clear your conscience and win a spot in Santa’s good books by shopping ethically this Christmas.
This fair trade market has a carefully curated list of ethically-sound stallholders on its bill, including Oxfam, Wanderlust People, The Woven Trail and Siham Craftlink.
Over the weekend there will also be raffles and face painting for the kids.
- When: 25 November 2017
- Where: Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre, Kessels Road, Nathan
- More information: Queensland Fair Trade
5.Cleveland Twilight Makers Market
This local favourite comes around once a month bringing with it over 60 stalls trading fashion, homewares and gourmet food.
Entertainment abounds for the kids and as the light fades we suggest you take a moment on Raby Bay boardwalk to gaze into the distance and drink up your picturesque surrounds.
- When: 1 December 2017, 4pm-9pm
- Where: Raby Bay Park, Cleveland
- More information: Twilight Makers Market
6. Etsy Made Local Brisbane
Every year, for one day only, online marketplace Etsy Australia unplugs to connect local makers with the community face-to-face.
This year, that day is 19 November. Held in Sydney, Blue Mountains, Adelaide, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane, it’s the ideal time to get to know your local makers and, if you find something you like, you can further support them throughout the year via their online Etsy store.
- When: 24-25 November 2017
- Where: Exhibition Building, Brisbane Showground
- More information: Etsy Made Local Australia
7. Abbey Museum Open Day and Boutique Christmas Markets
In 2015, Abbey Museum hosted its inaugural Open Day and Boutique Christmas Markets.
It was such a success that it’s returning for another year! This family event welcomes you to explore the museum at your leisure or do the rounds inside the lush garden, browsing stalls for unique pieces.
Afterwards, let the kids busy themselves on the jumping castle or archery station as you relax with a cuppa at the Devonshire tea stall. You deserve it.
- When: 18 November, 10am-3pm
- Where: The Abbey Museum, Caboolture
- More information: Abbey Museum
8. Vieille Branche Christmas Creative and Artisan Market Day
Cross your BFF off your Christmas shopping list with the Vieille Branch Christmas markets.
Riddled with beautifully crafted unique wares and fashion-forward pieces, it’s a hipster’s dream.
It’s only held seasonally, so when November rolls around don’t miss it.
- When: 25 November 2017
- Where: 10 Fox Street, Albion
- More information: Vieille Branche
9. Brisbane Christmas Markets
We've saved the best for last: the Brisbane Christmas Markets.
They're a day where local handmade artists flaunt their wares for you to purchase and gift your loved ones with this Christmas.
It's a family friendly day filled with food stalls and craft workshops and to set the mood, a giant lit Christmas tree will be the centre of attention, as will be Santa who is available for photo ops. With the little ones, obviously.
- When: 9 December 2017
- Where: King George Square
- More information: Brisbane Christmas Markets