10 of the best Christmas markets in Adelaide 2021
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Everywhere you go, markets will be popping up, and so will the holly and the mistletoe.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
When Christmas comes around, Adelaide outdoes itself, especially when it comes to markets. Nowhere else in Australia can you find these kinds of quality European-inspired Christmas markets complete with wooden stalls, Christmas trees, fairy lights and artisan products.
Pretty soon, the bells will start ringing to the carols that you sing while you roam around these beautiful marketplaces.
The best Christmas markets in Adelaide
1. Christkindlmarkt (cancelled for 2020)
For a taste of traditional German Christmas markets in Australia there’s nowhere more authentic or awe-inspiring than Hahndorf. Established in 1839, it’s the oldest surviving German settlement in Australia and still maintains its small-town charm. During Christmas the C3 Church organises a market event of over 50 stalls, entertainment, food and German hospitality to celebrate the season.
- When: Cancelled for 2020
- Where: Corner Main Street and Auricht Road, Hahndorf
- More information: Christkindlmarkt
2. Ebenezer Night Market
Make your way to East End on one of three weekends in December. The Ebenezer Night Markets is open for a fun night out with a dash of shopping included.
Expect to shop fashion, jewellery, food and Christmas gifts in one of the most aptly named locations in Adelaide for a Christmas event.
- When: 5 & 19 December 2020 @ 5:30pm-10:30pm
- Where: Ebenezer Place
- More information: Ebenezer Night Markets
3. Plant 4 Bowden Christmas Gift Market
That ol' weekend market is getting a Christmassy touch over the second weekend of December with tons of unique gift stalls to shop at and in-house eateries to fill up at. When you've completed your Christmas shop, celebrate at the Plant 4 Bar with a drink, and toast to a job well done.
- When: 12 December @ 9am-9pm and 13 December @ 9am-3pm
- Where: Plant 4 Bowden, Third Street, Bowden
- More information: Plant 4 Bowden
4. Gawler Apex Community Christmas Markets
Support the locals in Gawler with its one-day Christmas event. You'll find it along the river banks where a light display will illuminate your way.
On top of stalls to peruse and to shop gifts from, there will be food, coffee and face painting for the little ones.
- When: 12 December @ 3.30-8.30pm
- Where: Apex Park, Julian Tce, Gawler
- More information: Gawler Apex Club
5. The Makers and Shakers Christmas Gift Market
Shake up your Christmas gifting game where the stalls are plenty (60+ if you must know), the gifts are handmade and the food is utterly scrumptious.
The lineup of stalls is curated to feature only South Australia's finest makers and shakers. And if you're bringing the kids along for the ride, rest assured there's plenty of entertainment and child-friendly activities waiting for them.
- When: 18 & 19 December @ 4pm-9pm, 20 December @ 10am-4pm
- Where: 88 O'Connell St, North Adelaide
- More information: The Makers and Shakers
6. Bonjour Adelaide French Market (cancelled for 2020)
Around Australia, Alliance Française organises November markets to bring in the festive season. Adelaide is no exception and it’s saying Joyeux Noël with stalls laden with French cheeses, wine, fashion and perfumes amidst an atmosphere of French music, entertainment and kids’ activities. On Saturday, Bonjour Adelaide teams up with Etsy Local Made on Oxford Terrace to host a double event of French fare and market wares.
- When: Cancelled for 2020
- Where: Unley Soldiers’ Memorial Gardens, Corner Unley Road and Thomas Street, Unley
- More information: Alliance Francaise Adelaide
7. Gathered Design Market
Promising a new kind of market experience, Gathered Design Market brings art, music and culinary creatives together in the beautiful setting of Thiele House in Hahndorf. Held throughout the year, this market is a place to relax while you listen to acoustic bands and browse the beautifully laden stalls. Entry is free.
PS if you can't make it a virtual version of the market is running on the same dates from 4pm-10pm. Bonza!
- When: 11-13 December 2020 @ 4pm-10pm
- Where: Thiele House, 102 Main Street, Hahndorf
- More information: Gathered Design Market
8. Twilight Christmas Farmers' Market
Whether you're the host or an invitee, the local farmers' market is here to make sure you only bring the best to the table. Plus, your sustainable self will thank you as the stall owners are local families that bring their produce straight from their farms to the market.
- When: 23 December @ 5pm-9pm
- Where: Adelaide Showground
- More information: Adelaide Farmers Market
9. It's Gilles Christmas
The self-proclaimed people's marketplace is staying open right until the weekend of Christmas. Whether you've got a plant lover on your hands, a lover of all things boutique and handmade or a sustainable giftee to impress, you won't be starved for choice here.
- When: 20 December @ 9.30am-3.30pm
- Where: Brick Dairy Pavilion at the Adelaide Showground
- More information: Gilles At The Grounds
10. Bowerbird Design Market
Fittingly named after the Aussie bird that is attracted to all things pretty and shiny, this market is full of darling handmade products for those in your life who love beautifully crafted products. Meet the makers and select unique gifts to put under those trees.
- When: 11-13 December 2020
- Where: Adelaide Showground
- More information: Bowerbird Design Market
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: $1,250 off electric bikes, $70 off Nintendo Switch, $30 off Logitech G PRO X Lightspeed headsets.
Jura E8 review
The new 2021 Jura E8 has an upgraded grinder, automatic milk cleaning feature and can make your favourite drinks using voice commands.
70+ top shackets for 2021 and how to style them
The latest layering trend is here and we’ve got the lowdown on where to shop it in Australia.
Best bassinets in Australia
These are the 8 best bassinets you can buy right now in Australia.
Best nappy bags in Australia
These are the 9 best nappy bags you can buy right now in Australia.
Best booster seats in Australia
These are the 6 best booster seats you can buy right now in Australia.
Best raincoats and rain jackets in Australia
We’ve found the nine best raincoats and rain jackets you can buy in Australia right now.
Xbox Series S: Where to buy in Australia
Xbox Series S is a lower-cost alternative to the Xbox Series X. Here's a list of stores where you can buy the console for the best price.
Best pop-up tents in Australia
If you’re searching for a pop-up tent, we can help you find the perfect option for your needs.
Perth hotels with spas in the room
Find out where you can enjoy your own spa bath with these Perth hotels.
Ask an Expert