It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Everywhere you go, markets will be popping up, and so will the holly and the mistletoe.
When Christmas comes around, Adelaide outdoes itself, especially when it comes to markets. Nowhere else in Australia can you find these kinds of quality European-inspired Christmas markets complete with wooden stalls, Christmas trees, fairy lights and artisan products.
Pretty soon, the bells will start ringing to the carols that you sing while you roam around these beautiful marketplaces.
The best Christmas markets in Adelaide
For a taste of traditional German Christmas markets in Australia there’s nowhere more authentic or awe-inspiring than Hahndorf. Established in 1839, it’s the oldest surviving German settlement in Australia and still maintains its small-town charm. During Christmas the C3 Church organises a market event of over 50 stalls, entertainment, food and German hospitality to celebrate the season.
- When: 16-18 December 2016
- Where: Corner Main Street and Auricht Road, Hahndorf
- More information: Christkindlmarkt
2. Gifted Christmas Market
More than 100 stalls will be offering everything from hand-crafted wares to Christmas cards and wrap - all created by local artists. There will also be a gift wrapping station for those buying gifts at the market.
- When: 17 December 2016, 12pm-9pm
- Where: Plant 4, 1 Third Street, Bowden
- More information: Gifted Christmas Market
3. Bonjour Adelaide French Market
Around Australia, Alliance Française is organising November markets to bring in the festive season. Adelaide is no exception and it’s saying Joyeux Noël with stalls laden with French cheeses, wine, fashion and perfumes amidst an atmosphere of French music, entertainment and kids’ activities. On Saturday, Bonjour Adelaide teams up with Etsy Local Made on Oxford Terrace to host a double event of French fare and market wares.
- When: 18 December 2016, 5pm-10pm and 19 December 2016, 10am-10pm
- Where: Unley Soldiers’ Memorial Gardens, Corner Unley Road and Thomas Street, Unley
Promising a new kind of market experience, gathered. brings arts, music and culinary creatives together in the beautiful setting of the Queens Theatre. Held three times a year, this market is a place to relax where you can chill to acoustic bands while taking your time to browse the beautifully laden stalls. Entry is $2.
- When: 3-4 December 2016, 10am-4pm
- Where: Queens Theatre, Playhouse Lane and Gilles Arcade, Adelaide
- More information: gathered.
5. Etsy Christmas Market
Now in its second year, Etsy Made Local brings the online marketplace to the streets with a special Christmas Market for the masses. Held in conjunction with Bonjour Adelaide, it’s a weekend where locals can meet, greet and purchase items from local makers. If you like someone’s style, make sure you pick up their card so you can check out their online Etsy store.
- When: 19 November 2016, 10am-5pm
- Where: Oxford Terrace, Unley
- More information: Etsy Made Local
6. Christmas Makers Market
Flinders Street Market is gearing up for a Christmas special. The finer details of this market are yet to be announced, with stallholders still being confirmed, but if you’re searching for something unique or boutique, this is the place you seek.
- When: 3-4 December 2016, 10am-3pm
- Where: Flinders Street Market, 230 Flinders Street, Adelaide
7. Brick + Mortar Christmas Market
If you believe that the best Christmas presents are the ones you craft and personalise yourself then book a spot at one of Brick + Mortar’s workshops. This creative retail hub is hosting pop-up workshops throughout the season teaching you how to decorate gingerbread snowflake biscuits, build Christmas wreaths, mix tea blends and make Christmas cards. Those who’d prefer to let the experts handle the gift-making can shop the market over the weekend, too.
- When: 28-29 November 2016, 9am-4pm
- Where: 49 George Street, Norwood
- More information: Brick + Mortar
8. 2016 Dusk Arts Market
When the light begins to wane, the magnificent Carclew house and gardens come alive with designer market stalls, live music, entertainment, workshops and food. The market supports young and emerging entrepreneurs, so you’ll notice many of the stallholders are 26 and under. If you see potential, why not support them? You never know, they could turn out to be the next big thing.
- When: 6 December 2016, 9am-4pm
- Where: 11 Jeffcott Street, North Adelaide
- More information: Dusk Arts Market
Feature image: Christkindlmarkt