It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Everywhere you go, markets will be popping up, and so will the holly and the mistletoe.
When Christmas comes around, Adelaide outdoes itself, especially when it comes to markets. Nowhere else in Australia can you find these kinds of quality European-inspired Christmas markets complete with wooden stalls, Christmas trees, fairy lights and artisan products.
Pretty soon, the bells will start ringing to the carols that you sing while you roam around these beautiful marketplaces.
The best Christmas markets in Adelaide
For a taste of traditional German Christmas markets in Australia there’s nowhere more authentic or awe-inspiring than Hahndorf. Established in 1839, it’s the oldest surviving German settlement in Australia and still maintains its small-town charm. During Christmas the C3 Church organises a market event of over 50 stalls, entertainment, food and German hospitality to celebrate the season.
- When: 15-17 December 2017
- Where: Corner Main Street and Auricht Road, Hahndorf
- More information: Christkindlmarkt
2. Ebenezer Night Market
Make your way to East End on one of three weekends in December the Ebenezer Night Markets is open for a fun night out with a dash of shopping included.
Expect to shop fashion, jewellery, food and Christmas gifts in one of the most aptly named locations in Adelaide for a Christmas event.
- When: 8, 15 and 23 December, 5:30pm-10:30pm
- Where: Ebenezer Place
- More information: Ebenezer Night Markets
3. Bonjour Adelaide French Market
Around Australia, Alliance Française is organising November markets to bring in the festive season. Adelaide is no exception and it’s saying Joyeux Noël with stalls laden with French cheeses, wine, fashion and perfumes amidst an atmosphere of French music, entertainment and kids’ activities. On Saturday, Bonjour Adelaide teams up with Etsy Local Made on Oxford Terrace to host a double event of French fare and market wares.
- When: 24 November 2017, 5pm-10pm and 25 November 2017, 10am-10pm
- Where: Unley Soldiers’ Memorial Gardens, Corner Unley Road and Thomas Street, Unley
Promising a new kind of market experience, gathered. brings arts, music and culinary creatives together in the beautiful setting of the Queens Theatre. Held three times a year, this market is a place to relax where you can chill to acoustic bands while taking your time to browse the beautifully laden stalls. Entry is $2.
- When: 11-12 November 2017
- Where: Queens Theatre, Playhouse Lane and Gilles Arcade, Adelaide
- More information: gathered.
5. Etsy Christmas Market
Now in its second year, Etsy Made Local brings the online marketplace to the streets with a special Christmas Market for the masses. Held in conjunction with Bonjour Adelaide, it’s a weekend where locals can meet, greet and purchase items from local makers. If you like someone’s style, make sure you pick up their card so you can check out their online Etsy store.
- When: 25 November 2017, 10am-4pm
- Where: Oxford Terrace, Unley
- More information: Etsy Made Local
6. SA Christmas Art Market
Held at ART BAR and curated by SA Art Collective the SA Christmas Art Market is the newest Christmas market on the block.
It focuses highly on local artists and artisans, featuring over 20+ creatives and offering a truly unique experience and even more unique gifts.
Throughout the day there will be market stalls, workshops for the kids and live music to set the scene.
- When: 10 December 2017, 10am-4pm
- Where: 52 Sturt Street, Adelaide
- More information: SA Christmas Art Market
7. 2017 Dusk Arts Market
When the light begins to wane, the magnificent Carclew house and gardens come alive with designer market stalls, live music, entertainment, workshops and food. The market supports young and emerging entrepreneurs, so you’ll notice many of the stallholders are 26 and under. If you see potential, why not support them? You never know, they could turn out to be the next big thing.
- When: 7 December, 5:30-9:30pm
- Where: 11 Jeffcott Street, North Adelaide
- More information: Dusk Arts Market
Feature image: Christkindlmarkt